3 Month Old Doesn't React to Sound

I know this may seem a little paranoid, but my husband asked me last night if I noticed if our son reacts to sound. I couldn't really remeber and he said when he was making noises in both of our sons ears that he never reacted. Didin't turn his head to face the sound. Just continued to look straight ahead.
He laughs ALOT, babbbles a very little bit, but doesn't turn his head to sound. Our 22 month old let out a loud screaching laugh, when all else was quiet, and nothing! Not a jump, blink, startle or frown not to mention a cry. He doesn't cry a lot, just when we put him in his car seat or when he is hungry. I can't complain about the sleep. He is a great baby and generally very quiet.
I guess the reason why up until last night I wasn't concerend or even gave it a thought is because he had the hearing test and was fine. I am usually the one that notices things and raises a lot of concern especially when there is no need for concern. My husband is very practical and with the previous 4 children he never thought they had a problem he would show me they were reacting to sound 95% of the time. So because he's concerend I feel as though there really might be a problem.
My question is, what are the signs for someone who can't hear at this age? How old where any of your children that are deaf, did you notice problems? Is there a test we can have done at 3 months to find out?

Hi K.! I would give your pediatrician a call and let them know what you've noticed. My cousin's daughter had a similar problem, and turned out that she needed hearing aids and was fine. Eventually, she had implants put in her ears, and is doing fabulous at the age of 11-1/2. I wouldn't panic, but I would give the doctor a call. Maybe he's just a calm baby or maybe he has an over abundance of wax in his inner ear. It can't hurt to check it out.

I couldn't help but notice that you mentioned that your son cries when you put him in his carseat. We had the same problem with two of our three children. Turns out, they get car sick!! I turned their carseat around at close to your son's age, and they were fine! It used to be torture to drive with them, but now they're perfect!

Best of luck with your precious baby boy!

K.,
Depending on when he had his hearing checked, if he has had any vaccinations since then, I would definitely have his hearing checked again. Definitely contact your ped. again and if you aren't satisfied, go to a children's audiologist.
Wishing you the best.

HI K., you are never overreacting when it comes to your child's welfare and concerns. In the state of Ohio every newborn has a newborn hearing screening prior to dismissal which will rule out more than a mild hearing loss from birth. However that does not mean that hearing loss can develop either from ear infections (temporary hearing loss) or possible viruses. I would see your pediatrician in case there is a possible ear infection, however (depedning on insurance referrals if needed) if you are very concerned go ahead and set up an appointment to see an audiologist for a hearing test. At three motnhs of age we are limited on testing however there are a few simple tests that can look at yoru child's auditroy system. I would recommend Columbus Speech and hearing center. they can perform a test to assess for fluid from infection, look for behavioral responses, and test the function of the hearing organ without your child having to participate. I am sure everything is okay but it is critical for speech anc language development to rule out even a mild loss. good luck and best wishes

E.
(i am also an audiologist primarily working with the adult population at this time)

Hi K..

Just wanted to respond to your question. At 3 months, your little one should be responding to sound, especially loud sounds. It would concern me as well if you are not seeing that.

Language development is occuring at a fast rate during the first year of life so it is imparative that you have your childs hearing tested if you even suspect there could be a major problem. I would take him to a pediatric Audiologist - I know they have these at Cincinnati Childrens. There are some special tests that can be performed at your childs age (I am an Audiologist that works primarily with adults)but some private offices do not have this equipment . Childrens has the equipment as well as tests LOTS of kids so you can be confident in the results you get there.

Remeber, you are your childs best advocate. Do what you feel is needed. Good luck and keep us posted.

I would contact a children's audiologist and ask them at what age they will start seeing children, tell them your concerns, and go from there. They are experts, and it would be best to have any problems found as early as possible. The hearing screening at birth only can sense if there's a structural problem within the ear. Also, this is done with a machine and all machines are subject to error/malfunction.

hi, my son is deaf. the law that hospitals are supposed to give them hearing test was past right after he was born. so he did not get the test. but i firmly believe he could hear when he was born. only because when someone was holding him and he heard my voice even if i was in the other room he would get mad. my sister in law would not let me talk because then he would get mad. but he is deaf now. i had cmv when i was pregnat which is a virus that anyone can get and not know they have. which causes deafness . and you can be born hearing and slowly lose it or keep it till you are a couple of years and then lose it. lot of possibles. so in saying that it is very possible for you child to hear and now not. they can re do the test to check the babys hearing which if you have thoughts he might not be. the earlier you get help the better. and if anything it will eas your mind. my wake up call was the house alarm going off and jaden slept through it he was 9 months at that time. the best test that i found was to get a rattle of some kind and lay your baby in your lap (looking at you. and with out your baby seeing the moving of your hand. rattle on each side to see if they turn there head.but the sooner you get help the better. you would be surprised what they can do for these little babies. ya know i have a 2 and half year old also and i am dumbfounded at the difference there is . you open a door and he is turning his head. where as my first son. he was an excellent baby. i could take him to nice restarents and he would just sit and be good. he stayed asleep good. we see dr choo at childrens and the audiologist at the eastgate location childrens. they are all very nice. and we seen mrdd and i loved them.all and by the way my son always babbled. he still does.

I know there used to be tests that could be done. My cousin was having issues that we thought were hearing. I turned out she could hear just fine. She had major learning issues. I know babies can be born deaf but usually it's the result of a bad fever that won't go down. I know a young man who went deaf at 18 months. He has an implant and is responding well to school now.

Dear K.,
I read your story about you baby and I wanted to tell you my story and maybe it would help.
When I was born I could not hear anything and my parents were unaware of it for quite a while. When my Mom finally noticed that something might be wrong she immediately took me to the doctor of course.
What the problem was, I had a build up of wax from birth that was down far inside my ear which was causing me to appear like I was deaf. It was not on the surface like we see when we clean out our ears.
I don't know if this helps at all but I thought I would share my story so that maybe you could ask your pediatrician about it.
I hope all works out for you and your family and may God Bless you.

1 / 3