3 1/2 Year Old Won't Potty Train!!

Please help! My 3 year old daughter will not potty train. I've tried everything I can think of. I put her on the potty every half an hour to 45 min. but she never goes in the potty only in her pants. The biggest problem is she doesn't seem to care about wetting herself. I bought fun panties for her but that didn't even work. I've also tried every potty on the market, still nothing. She loves church so I told her that if she started to go in the potty that she could go to preschool at our church. She seems really excited about that but still won't go when I put her on the potty. I'm at a loss.

Hi J. I am M.. Have You tried letting her read while shes on the potty? My 9 yr old I had no problems training! My 7 yr old however refused to use her potty unless her dog was beside her! So when we were at a friends house i would take a book along for her to read and she would pretend to read to a bunch of people! try it it might work! hope this helps you!
M. mother of 3

I've got a feeling you'll hear this one from many of us but it worked for me. My 2yr old son was the same way and i tried EVERYTHING too. does she have a favorite doll? he has a mr.bear. Mr. bear is paotty training too on one of the many potty chairs we own. It was mr. bears idea not to be wet all the time anymore. WE went alone for 2 days and never even mentioned potty to caleb, but when mr. bear goes potty there were neat rewards like small stickers and 2 m&ms he came around and he is so stubborn, it being his idea seemed to work. Again though i really think not asking him to come and getting rewards made the difference. He's only two but is tall and was wetting through his diapers because they didn't fit well. I'll bet since she's older and wiser she'll give in much faster! good luck with one of the toughest parenting tasks there is!!!!!!!!

When I was potty training my girls, I had a reward box. I filled it with different little toys she liked (nothing expensive,purchased at Dollar Tree)and when she went to the potty she would get to pick a prize. We also had a special potty song and dance we would do after she used the potty. I hope this helps, I know it is very frustrating the whole potty training experience.

I was going through this with my 2 1/2 yo just up to last week. Then I got this "3 day potty training" ebook and it said to take a break (put diapers on & make no mention of the potty) for a week or two before starting this program. I was planning on starting it yesterday but on Sunday, my daughter insisted on using the potty... I told her no, "it's for big girls who want to keep their panties dry... just go in your diaper like you always do." Then she went in the bathroom herself and went... we've been dry during the day all week & I even got her to poop in the potty. Now I'm just working on her going potty elsewhere besides home and staying dry during naps. I hope this helps! Feel free to email me if need anything else! ____@____.com
good luck :)

I have a 2.5 year old boy. He has the muscle control to hold it and is very aware of when he needs to go, he will tell you he is going in his diaper. I got advice from someone to let him run around naked. He know where the potty is and how to use it. He was having trouble getting the pull ups on and off. He has been naked for 3 days now and only one pee accident and NO pooping accidents. He is using the potty! When he does poop in the potty he gets chocolate candy (he never ever gets it. we let him pick it out at the store) he is so proud of himself. I hope something like this could work for you little girl.
Good Luck. I read lots of different ideas...one of them should work for you!

i am having the same problem with my little girl she turned 3 in july and has no interest in going to the potty . she knows how but refuses to go everytime i tried panties worked for a day pull ups she calls them a diaper and rewards still won't do it she goes in the big potty sometimes but doesn't want to take the time to go she doesn't care if she is wet either i don't know what to do but to wait and try again . im a stay at home mom of a 7 year old son and a 3 year old daughter . my son was easy to potty train . i have even tired to let her sit on potty with a book still not nothing has made her excited enough to keep going ..

My daughter was 3 when I got her to go to the potty. I had tried everything imaginable. The thing that seemed to work was the Bear in the Big Blue House Movie about potting. I cannot remember the name of it right now (it has been 4 years). It was the only show on potty training that I could find at the time. It helped her understand why and not just because mommy said so. I hope this helps.

I can really sympathize with you. My 3 year old daughter has no problem peeing on the potty but just refuses to poop. I know she is in control of her bowels. She’ll hold it until she gets home from daycare and then has a dirty diaper at home. This kid has no trouble staying dry when she is awake. I am at a loss to help her stay clean. The books all seem to say that staying clean is the easy one to teach and learning to stay dry a bit more difficult. Maybe someone will have a new suggestion that will work for the both of us.

Hi J.,You are not the only one going threw it, I have boys, not girls and everyone said boys were harder than girls. My oldest is six and he wasnt potty trained good until he was four,My three year old has been potty trained for ayear,He did it on his own he still has accidents because he is playing or it sneaks up on him.I think all kids are diffrent and will do itin there own time.With my oldest I just kept working on him until it clicked.When they start school it really,kicks inthey want to be big kids.Hang in there it will work out.Good Luck T.

1 / 3