2 Yr Old Won't Drink Pedialyte

Hello,
My 2 year old daughter has a slight cold, little fever, so far no vomiting.( Thank god!)
But will not drink pedialyte....any flavor! Nor will she drink the Walgreens brand, the CVS brand....none of them. So my question is, is there anything else I can give her that won't cause diharrera or dehydration, like juice can? She will drink some water, but not as much as she will if it was juice.
Thanks in advance.

My daughter wouldn't drink pedialyte either should would eat the pedialyte freeze pops or you can try gatorade. I diluted it and she would drink that with no problems. If she's not vomiting or has no diarrhea then maybe just give her vitamin water to boost her immune system with extra vitamins.

I hope she gets better soon! There a lot of viruses going around right now.

I hope this is helpful.

Neither of my girls would drink it either and I even found apple flavor! What I did was give them very watered down juice, at least it was something! Good luck.

I personally have never wasted my money on pedialyte unless my kids couldn't keep anything else down. Have you tried to water down the juice? Maybe that would be sufficient.

My kids would NOT drink it either on it's own, so we came up with two tricks. First -- we make jello with it! Use the appropriate flavor Pedialyte in place of the cold water when you make the jello. Second -- mix it with gatorade (of course, make sure the flavors go together). Hope everyone feels better soon!

I give my son coconut water and he seems to like it enough to drink it - he won't touch pedialyte. they sell flavored varieties of coconut water as well as plain. i find it at whole foods but i'm sure they sell it elsewhere.

Here is a link that talks about the benefits:

http://www.onenaturalexperience.com/#

I hope this is helpful.

None of my kids have ever drank it, so my pedi suggested Gatorade in any flavor they like. It does the same exact thing as Pedialyte and most kids will drink it!

Our doctor has told me to use Gatorade if we ran out of Pedialyte & I couldn't get to the store, maybe she'd like one of those flavors...

Popsicles...any kind. I think pedialyte even has those. Just keep her hydrated!

You have a lot of responses, and I haven't read through them, so I'm sorry if this is a repeat. I've been told by my pediatrician and my OB to try Vitamin Water. Less sodium, more vitamins and tastes great. I got sick when I was 31 weeks pregnant (food poisoning) and was told to drink this. My OB said he doesn't think it should be a drink you just turn to instead of water on a regular basis, but for rehydration and when someone is sick, it's a good choice. Good luck!

Electrolyte water with a little bit of organic apple juice added to it is way better & healthier than Pedialyte. Trader Joes & Whole Foods market sells plain Electrolyte water. Make sure she is urinating at least 4-5 times per day because if she gets dehydrated, she risks hospitalization for electrolyte imbalance.
Dr. Alicia

Dilute her juice with pedialyte. My son would not drink it either but he loved pear juice so that is what the Dr. said to do. 50/50 mixture.

When I took my 2 year old to the ER for dehydration evaluation during a stomach virus, they told me to give him flat 7up. I kept it really cold so it wouldn't be so yucky. Also, you can try gatorade. Good Luck!

Get some foam cups and make some peds ice frozen cups

I think that this doctor has an interesting perspective on Pedialyte. Perhaps you could add a little salt to his suggestion...

http://www.askdrsears.com/faq/fit16.asp

Here are his other suggestions for diahhrea and dehydration...

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/11/T081500.asp

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t081300.asp

http://www.askdrsears.com/faq/fo3.asp

Best wishes,

My son hates pedialyte, but loves the pedialyte popsicles.

Did you try the pedialyte ice pops? If you can not freeze them in time to use this time around, I would buy to have on hand for the future. My son has never turned down an ice pop! I suppose you can also try gatorade.
Good luck and hope your daughter feels well soon!

Did you try gatorade or powerade or even 7 up (there is no caffiene)?

Mine has never liked it either. You really just need to make sure she's hydrated. Watered down juice, gatoraid, popsicles, jello.

only need if vomit or runny poop.
but they do sell flavorless.
my son won't drink it either.
i've decided watered down lemonaid is better than nothing!

You can try Gatorade. It is exactly like pedialyte but it tastes a ton better and there are a bunch of different flavors. You can also get it in powder form and make it as you need it.

I have a homemade version that is cheaper, it last longer in the fridge and does not have food dyes or artificial sweeteners. I gave this recipe at my last infant nutrition seminar. One mom was pleased with the results!

1/2c of Smart Water which has electrolytes in them (we always keep a bottle around the house)
1/2c of coconut water, which is nature's best form of electrolytes
2T of organic apple juice (you can forgo this step if you choose) this is just for the sweetness kids like

Mix and drink up! When I read the labels for pedialyte, I was appalled that they even market this product, but then again, not surprised. When I took my then 19m old to the ER for dehydration, they gave her some and she spit it right out, so did I. When I told the doc what I was doing, she was apprehensive, but surprised as well that it worked for her and she was keeping it down.

Good Luck,
J. W. MPH
Maternal and Child Health Educator
Chicago Examiner Family Health Expert
http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-7158-Chicago-Family-He...

Mine won't either - The pediatrician told me to give her watered down gaterade. She drinks it.

If you are still breastfeeding you will not need any other electrolytes.

Also, Trader Joe's has electrolyte water that is UNflavored and without any sugar or artificial colors or preservatives, etc.

I don't think you need Pedialyte unless they're dehydrated from vomiting or diarrhea. (my kids didn't like it either.) You can try mixing some juice into water to give it some flavor. Or try herbal tea (fruit flavored) with some honey, cooled off.

Haven't read your responses so sorry if it's a repeat. My doctor always told us gatorade is just as good as pedialyte and it's cheaper!!

My pediatrician gave us G2 which is the lighter gatorade so it doesn't have to be watered down.

Have you tryed Pedialyte Freeze pops, Jello or thin strips that melt in your mouth?

My pediatrician says try kool aid or other punch drinks in these types of situations. You are trying to get liquids and some sugars in her, so even though there is not any nutritional value to speak of, it does fit the bill.

If she doesn't have diarrhea or vomiting, dehydration is less a risk, and I thought that's what pedialyte is for? You can substitute water and bland snacks like crackers or applesauce. Our son had stomach flu last week and he liked the coconut water.

My son wouldn't drink it either. His doctor finally said to mix it with some juice and make it really cold. That helped.

J. R.

Walmart brand makes a flavorless version.

So funny, I just had a conversation with my ped regarding pedialyte. He said that Pedialyte is VERY salty and until 2 years old children are willing to take it because that portion of their taste buds has not developed, but after 2 years old that portion develops and children are frequently unwilling to take the pedialyte. He suggested switching to gatorade at this time.

A.

Freeze it into popsicles.

try giving your child coconut water. it is packed with electolytes, is all natural, rehydrates the body quickly, and it tastes great! i drink it after my workouts and i find if i was getting sore after the workout i am less sore the next day than i would have been. good luck...

One word........Gatorade! It always worked for my dayghter since she was 1yr or may be even less. She calls it better juice as she knows, it will make her feel better.

All the best and do not worry for slight cold and cough. In this season......its everywhere.

Hello A.,

You might want to try coconut water. It is the very best hydrater there is and it is natural. Pure coconut water. It can be found online or at any health food store. I give it to my boys for sports and anytime they feel alittel tired and run down. I think she will like the taste.

I would suggest you try dissolving a little sugar (or honey) in some warm/hot water and adding it to your daughter's water. You could also try herbal tea -- chamomile is very gentle on the system -- with a bit of sweetener. If you add in some salt, too, it will help prevent dehydration.

Best,
R.

I found that a lot of those drinks contain artificial colors and sweeteners, something that is not good for them anyway. I give my daughter Performance by Shaklee, a rehydration and electrolyte replacement drink that is natural, contains no additivies or artificial colors and sweeteners and is actually good for you. So good in fact that NASA came to Shaklee and asked that they make a special rehydration beverage for astronauts since re-entry to the Earth's atmosphere is so hard on them. So anyway I make this up and put it in those homemade popsicle molds made by Tupperware and she loves them. They have lemon lime or orange. Other than this, push water or milk or something like watermelon that is naturally full of water. If you want more info. on the Performance, let me know.

My daughter was the same way... so my mom taught be a little trick that she used to use with us when we were kids. She told me to mix a little bit of sugar free jello in some water and give it to her as juice. She LOVES it. I've found though that it is best to use a little warm water to mix it and add cold, and ice if necessary. Otherwise the Jello gels a little bit, and can be hard to get through the sippy spout.
good luck

It looks like you got some great advice on hydration ideas, I just wanted to tell you that you are doing great by keeping an eye out for dehydration. Unlike some readers suggested, FEVER puts a child at a huge risk for dehydration and cause your child to lose fluids more rapidly, so keep it up!