Things to Hydrate a 12 Month Old Other than Pedialyte

Ok so my son HATES!!!!! HATES!! HATES!! pedialyte and he's had some stomach issues and bum issues for a while, but this past week he's had HORRIBLE diarrhea (he's on more antibiotics for another ear infection and on a laxative for severe constipation-doctor put him on it-and have since taken him off since he obviously didn't need any help with the antibiotics taking over) so i'm getting worried about his hydration.
Anywho, what other things can i give him other than pedialyte? I do hold him down and use a syringe to make him take it, but he is now gagging and almost throwing it up. So i'm also stuck at home with no car/money. So things need to be things I can make at home. He also is refusing water. He will only eat his bottle (i make the bottle with pedialyte but that's only every 4 hours) and solids are a joke to try (his mouth hurts from the teeth that are coming in) . . .so you see my delima? Help please!
Sarah what's the difference between giving him pedialyte and then a bottle? or pedialyte wait a half an hour then a bottle?
I am using the flavored kind because the unflavored is NASTY! And I do have money but it's in a paycheck form and I"m not close to anyplace that will cash it.

Try and see if he will take popcicles. My son had a raging fever and tylenol and advil werent doing anything. I started giving him popcicles and it reduced the fever. When I talked to the doctor he said give him as many as he will eat to hydrate/reduce fever. Just stay away from the red ones. That way if he starts to throw up you can tell the difference between blood and popcicle. The frozen pop will also soothe his sore gums.

My doctor's office said to try equal parts apple juice and water. I also asked this last week if pedialyte was that much better than gaterade or kool-aid. He said pedialyte had more electrolites (sp?) but many kids hate the taste. So, if we are focused on hydration, we can try any of the above.

bananas and yogurt in the blender, just water down to drink. The yogurt should help his gut and bananas also help with the diarrhea... you could freeze into frozen yogurt or popsicles.

I do half pedialyte (no flavor kind) and half milk or juice ! He's never noticed the difference !!!!! sometimes I do 80% Pedialyte 20% other...... depending how 'sick' he is. Popsicles are a Huge favorite of his as well. GL hope your little one is better soon!!!

My mother always gave me "jello water".... That was before Pedialyte was available! I googled it and found the following medical website which recommends jello water as one option for mild dehydration. See below:

http://www.chmed.com/mod.php?mod=userpage&page_id=29

For the child with milder symptoms ORS (Oral Rehydration Solution, like Pedialyte) is still best, but other clear liquids such as juice (any kind except Apple), flat soda, or sports drinks may suffice to prevent dehydration. The advantage is these may be easier to get your child to take. The disadvantages compared to ORS are that they may actually perpetuate the diarrhea (by virtue of their high sugar content) and they won't have the stomach-calming effect that ORS does.

Some "half way" (not as good as ORS but better than juice or soda pop) alternatives:

Chicken Soup alternating with other (non-ORS) clears. 
Mixture of 2 parts ORS + 1 part Gatorade 
Jell-O water (mix acc. to dir. then add 2 extra cups water)

You can give him jello, soups, broths, freezer pops, popsicles, watermelon cubed up, other melons, all should feel good on his teeth too. Also, have you tried wetting, quarter-folding and freezing some baby washcloths for him to chew on for his teeth? And the icy water will be a bonus.

We give my son Gatorade (at my pediatrician's advise), but I honestly cannot remember if he was that young when we began to give it to him. It does the same thing (replenishes his electrolytes) as pedialyte, it's just cheaper and lasts longer! Maybe try the pedialyte ice pops as a "treat" instead of medicine to take!

Do you have juice? Can you get some gatorade? You can freeze them in your ice cube trays and help him suck on them/rub them on his gums. Also, you can freeze them in a plastic cup and scrape shavings off with a spoon to give him "chips".
My kids hated pedialyte too. Just stay in close contact with your pediatrician and try what you can.

I hope your little one feels better soon.

1 / 3