10 Week Old Baby Boy with RSV

My son has been coughing really bad lately. So on Wednesday of last week I took him to see his doctor. His doctor to me to use saline drops so I am cleaning his nose constantly. Well over the weekend the cold and cough got worse and he started vomitting up all of his food after each feeding. So on Sunday I called his doctors office and they said take him to the ER. So he was diagnosed with RSV. They gave him a prescription for Xopenex so I got it filled and realized that I needed a breathing to use the Xopenex. Well I didn't have one and I called his doctor and his doctor said he don't need a machine. So I'm confused what do I do about the RSV so he was diagnosed and nothing is being done about it. I guess the doctor wants to diagnose him hisself. I am looking for any suggestions my son is coughing really bad.

My son had RSV at 9 months of age. It is very serious and can be very scary. I had to give him nebulizer treatments every 2-3 around the clock for days! Get back to the ER of find a new pediatrician who is more helpful!

As others have said, RSV is very serious, and your son needs to be treated for it with a nebulizer. I'm surprised that a doctor would be blowing this off in an infant. My daughter had RSV at 3 months of age and was hospitalized for it. Afterwards, she was sick all winter every winter until this year (finally outgrowing it after 5 years). She has viral-induced asthma so every time she catches a cold it turns into that nasty cough and she needs the nebulizer. I don't want to scare you, but this needs to be taken seriously. Call your doctor and insist that they either order a nebulizer for you (can usually be picked up at certain pharmacies) or they need to see the baby immediately! He's too young to mess around with an illness like that.

When my son was diagnosed with RSV, they admitted him to the hospital for 2 days, administering breathing treatments every 2 hours, and sent us home with an infant inhaler. When my nephew had it they kept telling my sister he was fine, until he ended up in the ICU for 2 weeks and almost died. He is now 8 and still has asthma due to all the scar tissue in his lungs. If your doctor is not taking this seriously, find a new doctor now who will.

It is supposed to be given through a nebulizer (inhaler), or can be attached to a mask for a child. See below for details.

http://www.xopenex.com/about/patient-instructions.html

Continue harassing your Dr. call him right now and say, "how exactly am I supposed to administer this medication without a nebulizer or mask?" When he doesn't have an answer, ask him where you can get these items.

I'm not sure if you buy them or your insurance does. I would bring your prescription to your pharmacy and get what you need so you can give the medicine. You need to do this immediately as RSV can be very serious.

He needs the nebulizer, call the pediatrician back and tell him about the prescription and they should LOAN YOU ONE. My kid had to be on breathing treatments for a similar virus that ended up causing him breathing issues when he was 6 months. He was on the treatments for 4 months then weaned from them so we ended up buying one through our insurance (paid 100% if we called and ordered through their vendor and had a prescription for it from the pediatrician) but the pediatrician loaned us one for a few weeks till we could get it.

Wow! Scary!

My daughter was diagnosed with RSV when she was 3 months old. Urgent Care sent us home and said there was nothing they could do for her, just to watch her and if she got worse (greyish skin color, etc) to get her back in to either the doctor or ER. Our doctor also said there was nothing that could be done when I took her for her checkup after Urgent Care. Luckily and thankfully, she was/is fine. Thats when she started sleeping with me so I could check her breathing frequently.

RSV can be very dangerous and life threatening. I ended up taking 2 weeks off of work because I didn't want anyone else to be responsible for her.

I agree, I would take him back to the ER and definately find a different doctor.

Go back to the ER asap. My daughter had RSV at 6 months and we spent a week in the hospital getting deep suctioning and breathing treatments every 2 hours. RSV is serious keep on his dr or the ER staff till they do something to help him

My son had RSV at 2yr old and was in the icu. RSV is very serious please take him back and ask them for help. I know a few babies who have died from RSV. Please don't wait then change your sons Dr.

both my girls had RSV when they were infants & yes he does need to be on a breathing machine. both mine were hospitalized so it's weird that your son was sent home.. The ER doctor should of asked you if he had a machine for the madicine he was giving you.. I would just call the insurance company & tell them what is going on so you can get a machine asap.. I would offer the use of one of our's but we are in AZ.. sorry & I hope he gets better soon

1 / 3