10 Month Old Refuses to Wear Shoes

My daughter is 10 months old and I have recently tried to put shoes on her feet which turned out to be a complete disaster. When you slide the shoes on her feet or even near her toes she either holds her breath until she is a completely red or she screams for really long periods of time (up to 30 minutes once). She is not walking currently but, with the winter weather I would like to have another layer on her feet to protect them from the cold. I have tried to wait the crying out but that never seems to work with her and I have also let her play with her shoes to try to make them less awkward. So far I have tried Robeez, PediPed and Crocs but all end up with the same result. I am hoping this is something she will grow out of but, I wanted to see if any mothers out there had any tips....Thanks!

Little shoes are very cute! But totally unnecessary right now...I would get those thick socks with grippies on the bottom...that way maybe it will be a smoother transition if she starts to walk - those are super warm and soft and you can even wrap a blanket around her if her feet are still cold...when she starts walking, then you may have to revisit the issue if she hasn't warmed up to the idea - but the other moms have great advice (like letting her choose her shoes...out=shoes). Those things usually work at a later age...:)

Ok, she's 10 months and does not need shoes. They don't need shoes until they actually start walking and even then, only when outside. The healthiest thing for beginner walkers is to be barefoot or in socks if it's cold. Put her in warm socks and if you go outside, cover her legs and feet with a blanket. Another suggestion is that if you start having power struggles with her at this age about something like this, it will get that much harder when she's a toddler. So try to only insist on things that are really really important.

I second the leather shoes as my daughter (who is also 10 mo) likes them and my SIL (who has a doctorate of physical therapy)recommends them before and while children are learning to walk. We still put normal shoes on my daughter b/c of the cold, so I understand your point of view. You didn't mention socks, so I'm assuming your daughter is fine with those (I hope that's not a wrong assumption), and the Bobux are a lot like them because they allow movement. If you're like me though, you'd want more than just leather slippers. Perhaps you could find a really nice thick sock that comes up on the leg a bit (I know we got a bunch for my son from Walmart when he was smaller, and my daughter just uses his old ones currently). If you buy them a size bigger, you can even put two layers of socks on, which we've done at times. Good luck!

You are so smart to ask that question on here. I didn't even think about it. My almost 3 yr old hates shoes still! I can get them on him and get him to the van but he will pull them off immediately! Socks too! LOL I figure he'll grow up and move to the beach somewhere! LOL

Take Care,
N. :) SAHM homeschooling 3 boys 13, 8 & 2 yrs old and married to my Mr. Wonderful for 15 yrs now. I love to help other mos who want to become SAHMs reach that goal!

HI J. this is one of the battles I would not fight. We were told by our Ped. not to put shoes on them until they start walking becuase it could hender the natural way to walk, so we never did and we had babies in the winter too. When they did start walking we took them to the store and let them pick their own shoes out, of course we only gave them two choices that we liked (lol) but they liked having the choice and they wore them out of the store that day. Good Luck and don't worry socks keep their little feet warn enough.

I like to choose my battles. This is one I would not choose to fight. If she were walking I might press the point. If you are worried about warmth put an extra pair of socks on her when you go out or throw a blanket over her toes. Some babies feel more secure pulling up and cruising around furniture in sock feet or barefoot because they can feel the floor and "hold on" to it. My youngest is almost a year and she likes to pull of her shoes to chew them so I put them on and when she starts chewing them I take them away. I think it is likely to be an ongoing battle if you just surrender for now and being a girl she will eventually want to wear all of the cute shoes she possibly can.

This website might make you feel better:
http://www.unshod.org/pfbc/

My 3rd child did this. ESPECIALLY at 10 months (I remember b/c it was Christmas and I wanted pretty shoes for her!) she absolutely hated shoes.

She *sorta* outgrew it. By the time she was 2 she loved shoes and had a dozen pairs of them. BUT, now at 4.5 she'd still rather be barefoot most days.

I used to just put two pairs of socks on her at that age.

Now, my 2 year old will wear shoes, but not socks - THAT'S really annoying when it's FREEZING cold outside!!

All three of my youngest 5 are barefoot at least 50% of our outings, including church!

Babies don't need shoes until they are walking...but they are so darn cute! lol I have been putting shoes on my son since he was just a few weeks old! He's never cared. I put them on him now because otherwise he pulls or kicks his socks off (I don't put them on him when he's wearing his snowsuit though).

Have you tried slippers? I'm sure its just because its something new. You could always put socks on and put an outfit that has feet to it if you are worried about her feet not being warm enough.

Have you tried Bobux shoes, because they are great. They are very soft and comfortable and that is what I started my daughter in and she never liked shoes on her feet when she was really little. You should look at Bobux.com and maybe give them a try.

1 / 3