Yogurt in Garden?

My husband got some yogurt-lots of it and wants to put it in our garden. I'm not so sure it a good idea. Is it okay or even good to put yogurt (plain) unto a garden? Will it do any good? Or will it just smell? We do have clay for soil, very hard. I think he planning on dumping it in and turning it over but not actually in a compost.

You need to compost yogurt, not just throw it on the garden. If it's composted, it is fine to use.

It won't hurt. If your soil is hard and has a lot of clay adding any type of spoiled food and working it in will help to draw worms. The worms will enrich yor soil.

Okay.... I've heard of coffeegrounds. I've heard of beer (for slugs). But yogurt is a new one. Google has also failed me.

((The slugs <3 beer thing is as follows. Dig beer can sized holes in the ground, place mostly empty beer can in hole. Slugs will come for the party, get quite drunk, and be unable to climb out the hole they came in. Bottles don't work for some unknown reason. As long as you dump out the cans on a regular basis the slugs live just fine. Just not in your garden.))

Try Google Searching "how to use yogurt in the garden" or something.
Or, "is yogurt good for the garden."

Is it already past date? If not you could freeze it and eat it!
Never heard of putting it in your soil. Call a local master gardener from a green house.

I've never heard of such a thing. Seems like it would attract mice, moles, and other questionable creatures.

huh, maybe I will try it since I to have clay. Yay for Utah soil.

Mix a bunch of sand, grass clippings, and well-aged manure into your garden. I don't know for a fact, but my mom always said not to put dairy type items in the compost...just produce, coffee grounds, and egg shells

1 / 3