WHERE To Place Car Seat?

Hi everyone...so it seems when I see people's toddler forward facing seats they are not in the middle seat. Is it safer to have the child sit in it near a door and not in the middle?

Some cars that don't have LATCH also don't have a shoulder strap for the middle seat, sometimes the seat just doesn't fit, sometimes it's laziness. It varies widely why people put their toddlers to the sides. The safest place to put a car seat is always going to be the middle.

Hey B.

The safest spot for any car seat, including a froward-facing toddler's seat is in the middle. But if you are like me and have 2 kids, you will have to end up putting both on the sides so you can fit two in the back. But since you only have one now, put him in the center.

cheers,

The middle is the safest, but sometimes that's just not feasible. As mentioned below, many cars don't have a shoulder strap in the middle. My daughter sits on the side simply because I have a bad back and just wouldn't be able to get her in the middle. Plus, my dh is paranoid about something coming through the windshield in an accident, and she would not be protected then. We did get a mid-size SUV so we'd be a bit higher than a good number of bumpers in case of an accident.

hi. safest spot is in the middle of the backseat. if you have questions on installation contact chp. they will be glad to help.

It depends on the type of car and carseat. Backseat middle is best, but not all vehicles have back seats...Even some minivans have captains chairs all the way back.

About the carseat, once your child graduates to a booster seat, it HAS to go next to the door because the seat requires the shoulder strap to be used appropriately. The only exception is that some of the new cars have shoulder belts in the middle seat. :)

Hope this helps!

I've always heard that it's safer to place the car seat in the middle. I have my child's car seat checked by SafeKids occasionally and they always say it should be placed in this position.

The safest place for any child in a vehicle is in the center. This provides the least chance for anything coming in contact with your child should you be involved in an accident.

a lot of cars do not have shoulder belts on the seatbelt in the middle. I put my kids boosters on the seat and not in the middle because they have to have the shoulder belt. As for kids in regular car seats, I'm not sure. It would depend on if there are rear bag airbags and such i guess.

If your middle seat belt locks than that is the safest place - - - if it does not lock than the drivers side back seat is the safest. The most dangerous(most fatalities) occur on the passengers side of the car.

I have my son in the middle...it's defintitely where I feel he is safer. I think the kids that are sat on the side is more of a convenience than anything. Some cars don't really accommodate a carseat in the middle either. I'm with you, though, in putting them in the middle. I feel it is much safer!

1 / 3