Where Do You Buy Good Quality Clothes at Reasonable Prices?

Just wondering after posting about clothes fading in the wash. What good quality clothing do you recommend, which is also priced well ?

Upscale second hand stores......they can be the best. You can find very good quality, long lasting clothing for such a good price. Don't be embarrassed and don't knock it til you try it!

The things that hold up the best for me are Gap Kids and Gymboree. Both places usually have very good sales and you can get great clothes for very reasonable prices. In fact, right now Gymboree has 30% off everything in the store and that includes already on sale items.

Honestly, we have a few pretty large thrift stores around here...and a lot of the best stuff my kids have gotten (as well as myself) has been stuff that I've found there. It is kind of hit and miss...but if I'm in the area and swing in...I almost always find a decent handful of top brand clothing that looks hardly worn...for just a few bucks. My kids are outside so much and their clothes really take a beating. I just can't see spending an arm and a leg on something that's going to have grass stains, mud stains, holes in the knees, fresh blueberry and blackberry juice smeared all over...etc.

I think "good quality" might be subjective. In any event...

Try Ross, Marshall's, TJ Maxx - all often have name brand/better quality clothing for way less than retail. Old Navy often has really good clearance sales, but I wouldn't consider their clothes great quality. Same with Children's Place. I don't like the feel or quality of the clothing at Walmart, & Kmart - they are very rough, thin, stitching is off, sizing is weird. Target has some decent stuff.

Also, if you are not opposed to 2nd hand clothing, try Ebay or Craigslist for lightly used/hardly worn lots of brand name/good quality clothing. Lots of times the clothing looks new & is sold at a huge discount.

Sometimes I think it's more about what type of detergent you use, what cycle you use & what water temperature you use, when washing the clothing, that makes it fade, moreso than the actual quality of the clothing.

We love Naartjie and Hanna Andersson but as far best quality for your buck? Hands down it is landsend. I bought some at end of season they were $6.99 + 30 % off then I had a coupon for $25 off $75. Landsend don't fade and their linen are the best. I am pretty rough with the laundry and still no rips , no wholes no fading. I have a messy 6 y/o and I swear it is like Bruce Lee in Nunchucks (sp?) the way it repels stains.

Kohls and Macy's clearance racks! I noticed that my friend's daughter and mine had the same jeans both from Kohls and my daughter's were faded more, my friend said she washes in cold water and it helps with the clothes not fading so much. I also find descent clothes with good prices for my kids at Old Navy. Good Luck!

I used to spend so much money on our clothes, until I started shopping at Salvation Army. I know it's not for everyone, but my kid's closets are full of Children's Place, Old Navy, Gap, Justice, I don't but anything unless it's name brand looks BRAND NEW and i don't pay more than $3-4 a piece. However, you should probably leave the kids at home and go with plenty of time/patience. The SA out here has 50% off the entire store every other friday and kids clothes are usually 50% off on thursdays too.

I buy most of my clothes (with the exception of shoes, socks and foundation items) at Goodwill or lower-end casual consignment shops. You can often pick through and find brands that wear well: LL Bean, Land's End... I have a couple of Caslon tees I like, Gap jeans, etc. I like the variety and as I'm hard to fit, it's nice to have a lot of choices regarding sizing.

I also use Biokleen washing detergent and wash everything on cold.

And for Kiddo, we hit the kids consignment/resale shops and love the Hanna Andersenn gift cards he gets. Their clothes wear very well.

1 / 3