What Was It That You Hated About School Growing Up?

Was it jealousy / envy over other girl's wardrobes?
Gym class?
Teachers being mean?
The food in the cafeteria?
Being picked on or made fun of for being overweight or not popular?
Just plain being away from home all day??

Interested in your answers girlies!!!
~A.

Mine was the constant worry and obsessing about being picked on and the envy to be like or dress like the other girls that had more, hoping that would get me picked on less.

In middle school I was picked on because of my clothing. I wore designer impostors because my mom could not afford the brand names. I was blatantly teased about it. Like girls standing right behind me laughing out loud that my white canvas shoes were not Keds. Same school where all of my sisters friends told her one day that she could not hang out with them anymore because she did not carry a "Esprit" bag. That school was a horrid horrid place.

Everything. School has SO little to do with actual learning. Memorizing for tests and reading text books, are not learning. I was (and am) genuinely interested in learning and growing. School is not about learning, it's a business. It sucked, for me. I excelled athletically, so I guess that was OK. Everything else, my life was better after high school. I could actually LEARN something meaningful. Institutionalized learning almost kills my spirit.

Honestly, nothing. I loved school. My K-8 school was very small so we lacked things like not lunch, music, science labs and foreign language that my kids now get. But overall I was very lucky - I truly enjoyed school from Kindergarten through college.

It was really boring and I was bullied a lot.

Just want to add I thought it was clothes, god knows my mom had a love of polyester, but no, I was smart and a little odd. Teachers didn't like me in part because I was really smart, in part because I just didn't find their lectures quite as enthralling as the other kids did. Kids didn't like me because I never had to do any work to learn what they spent hours learning.

No fun when everyone picks on you, ya know?

My kids are exactly like me but they do fine. They complain about some of the same things I do but I guess having me at home saying, yeah, kids can be that way helps. Teachers don't pick on them because I instilled in them the idea that respect and manners go a long way to keeping adults on your side. :)

After reading the class reunion comment, I went to my 20, the really popular kids were either married to rich guys or losers. What was really interesting was the honesty that adulthood brings. They told me how amazing it was how smart I was and they didn't understand why the teachers picked on me like they did. I guess the thing I brought away from that was the teachers set the tone. So long as teachers are allowed to bully the kids that are a little odd, harder to work with, the kids will follow along.

I went to fourteen different schools growing up (due to my folks moving a lot) and thus, I never really felt like I had "my" school or that I fit in. It was very hard to make friends, nearly always being the 'new' kid who started at the school in the middle of the year.

I did start noticing the economic disparity between my family and my classmates at around sixth grade, esp because buckle-back jeans were in style, I really wanted some, and was told we couldn't afford them. That would not be the last of what I wanted which we couldn't afford. Around that time, I started working in the cafeteria during lunchtime to earn a ticket for free hot lunches. This was good, but there was some stigma attached to it.

I had my share of bullies, esp. since I didn't tattle but kind of bore it silently. Luckily, I had no lunch money to take away, but did deal with a lot of name-calling and threats from two individuals. Thankfully, I didn't have to deal with either one of them for more than a year or so. I didn't like being the shortest kid in class much, either.

I also had a teacher who tried to humiliate me for not knowing Washington State history-- nevermind that I had gone to school in Oregon up until then. I had a geometry teacher who thought students learned more when shame was applied. PE wasn't great, but really, small potatoes in comparison.

Unfortunately, my parents created more of the problems I had in school than these other kids. I won't go into it, but their lack of support left my ostracized by my peers at times (often due to lack of appropriate dress/gear for events, like choir tours and such, which did have an affect on the group, right?). I struggled in school sometimes because my folks didn't help me with my homework. It was just assumed that I wasn't applying myself instead of me really not understanding the material/process.

I should also say, however, that my greatest advocates were three teachers. My sophomore biology teacher helped me believe I could actually do well in science. My sixth grade teacher was wonderful and gave me a lot of validation by displaying my poetry in the classroom and went to bat for me with my folks. And in seventh grade, the school guidance counselor kept an open door and listened a lot when I really needed someone to talk to-- a lot of things came up for me that year. These were the people who kept school tolerable for me, who kept me above-water, and I eternally thank them. Without school... I just don't know what would have happened to me.

I hated being that nerdy girl who was always picked last in gym class, who sat by herself that first week or two of school when I was the new girl in town, and just plain ol getting picked on. I had a boy bite me in middle school! He made fun of my frizzy hair. (I was not the fashion guru nor the hair model of the year). I was super-duper skinny too. Sorry - couldn't help it! I ate all I could!

@Melissa's answer - In my school, it was Doney & Bourke (sp?) purses that you HAD to have to be cool. I think my purse was $1 at Goodwill. Not $50 at Macy's. I couldn't have screamed "loser" any louder.

EVERYTHING!! There wasn't a single thing I liked about school. I went to 12 school in 12 years, so I was always the new kid. I was never able to join a club b/c my mom worked (single mom) and I couldn't get to the meetings/games to participate. Plus, there wasn't a single subject I liked or was good at. However, I loved college!!!! And as an ironic twist if fate - I am an elementary teacher...go figure :) I became a teacher to help those that were like me and keep them from falling thru the cracks. I was never noticed by one single teacher, not one! I have a little girl in my class this year that is like me, she has made it clear she needs my attention as a female figure and I make damn sure she gets it!

Being bullied!!! I was made fun of because of my red hair!!!! I was the only girl at the time with red hair so I got made fun of something awful!! And of course with Bozo being the popular clown at the time (yep, I'm showing my age) that was my nickname!!! Still to this day, if someone calls me Bozo, they better be prepared to run!

If I had the guts back then that I do now .... I would have probably turned out so differently!!! And nowadays, if anyone picks on my kids or says anything derogatory - I've given my kids permission to bully the hell out of those kids!! I know that doesn't sound good, but after all the bullying I've put up with I don't care! If people nowadays can't teach their children not to bully then they'll be getting a taste of their own medicine!!!

I think if more people would stand up to bullies we wouldn't have such a problem. I think the teaching begins at home and most parents these days have no idea their children are bullies!!!

GOING. I loved learning and I loved the work, but I hated going. I wanted to be out in the sunshine. I skipped class a LOT in high school... by my senior year, my teachers stopped turning me in for skipping, because I did all my work, turned it all in, aced all my tests, and had the highest grades. Some people just can't live within the box ;)

Ah the 80's... When mean girls with money ruled the roost. Remember "Trickle Down economy" and "Dynasty.". Notice the word Nasty in that title?

Had to have Polo, Calvin Klein, Gloria Vanderbilt, Esprit., that little alligator on their shirts. ..or you were not cool..

I did not care.. I told them it was up to them to waste their money on the labels.. Now these are the people that have kids in high school and do not want to volunteer, they want to write a check, they feel like their time is too important for anyone but their own kids. Which is fine with me.. No one wants to deal with them anyway.. they have not changed on the inside.

I remember I loved school, but hated having to get up early so my mom could drive me to school.. We did not have buses and i would have had to walk across a major high way. I would get there and hour and a half before school even started.

1 / 3