What to Feed 10 Mo. Old to Transition from Pureed Foods to Teach Him to Chew?

My question is what foods/recipes would moms suggest feeding a 10 month old to teach him to chew. My son is still breastfed and has had 8 teeth since he was 5 months old. I have made all of his food at home (except cereal) and he has been eating pureed fruits and veggies and cereals since he was about 7 months old. I feel like I am making him the same thing over and over again and I want to start introducing foods to teach him to chew. I have tried the mesh bags with some fruit in them and he doesn't really like them. I have given him the teething biscuits on occasion but since he has so many teeth he bites off big chunks and then can't chew them and I am afraid he will choke. I prefer to feed him more healthful foods like whole grains and organics whenever possible. What starter foods/brands/recipes etc. would you moms suggest to start giving him to transition from pureed foods, to foods with more texture and foods that he can chew without choking?

I did the same with my son -- made all of his food. At that age, his favorite thing in the world was the Baby Pancakes recipe from wholesomebabyfoods.com. (If the recipe is not at the web site anymore, let me know and I'll type it in.) It uses all healthy ingredients and is flexible to add other things you want. I made up a batch on the weekend and froze them, taking out a few each night for the next day.

My son would cry if a meal ended without them! Good luck.

When my son, now 3, started eating solids, the pediatrician told me to give him Cheerios. I thought it was crazy until he explained that my son would not choke on the Cheerios. They'd either become mushy enough to swallow while he rolled them in his mouth, or if he swallowed them whole, there's a hole in the middle - he wouldn't choke.
As my son developed the ability to chew (you can see them starting the process even if they don't have teeth by the way they manipulate food in their mouth) I added the cereal puffs from Gerber that dissolve quickly, soft veggies etc. And away we went.

Small chunks of ripe fruit. Small chunks of overcooked veggies. Carrots are great. Baked Potato chunks. Chunks of baked squash. Bites of bread, waffles, pancakes, ect. Don't use syrup on them they like them plain now until they learn otherwise. Gerber sells organic pasta pickups and they are pretty good. Really soft. Gerber also sells the veggies ready to go but they are not organic. Good luck he will get it.

Hey R.,
Going through the same thing... Mine is a bit older (13mos), but here are some ideas. He has to get used to different textures before he can really see that he needs to chew. I say "bite" and have a big cheer for him when he takes appropriate sized bites (of organic crackers, which he has to chew a bit...don't do those yet, start with things that melt easier like Gerber puffs or Cheerios so he doesn't have to bite) and I overexaggerate my chewing and say "yummm chew".

Here is a typical day for us:
Breakfast
cooked oatmeal with a touch of cinnamon
(cook it longer so that is is a little mushier)
1/2 of a bannana... sliced into thin discs, then break into its natural thirds...let me know if that doesn't make sense. Or other fruit cut into small pieces (peaches, pears, cooked apples, blueberries) the only fruits we have not done are strawberries, blackberries, rasberries, and grapes)
1 cup of milk

Snack
1/2 apple juice 1/2 water
1/4 cup of cheerios

Lunch
Avocado and rest of am banana cut into small pieces
1/2 grilled cheese sandwhich (with the crust sut off of course! :) )
1 cup of milk

a few more cheerios to tide him over for dinner...maybe

Dinner
homemade meatloaf (regular family recipe, but Gerber has a cute one to try)
squash
yogurt for desert
any veggie cut in small pieces... we are now into lima and butter beans that my husband cooks for 2 days!

Here are a couple of sites. Hope he enjoys!
http://www.gerber.com/promos/fpindex?promoid=155
http://www.homemade-baby-food-recipes.com/

I agree with many of the previous posts. You can get organic versions of cheerios as well (cascadian farms makes "purely o's" which are whole grains).

I also did the step of slowly puree-ing less and less so that the texture got chunkier over time. it's pretty easy to do this with sweet potatoes, carrots, butternut squash, parsnips (my son LOVES parsnips!). Then eventually I would just give him the FINELY diced steamed veggies to self-feed once he had the pincer grasp. also introduced peas at this stage, i'd just get the frozen organic ones and warm up a couple spoonfuls worth. we also did shredded cheddar cheese, moving up to finely diced chunks.

for many months, breakfast every day was 1/2 a banana mashed up some, with some infant oatmeal mixed in (to add iron, whole grains, fiber) and then also a defrosted cube of one other fruit puree (blueberry, pear, peach, etc.) and finally a pinch or two of ground flaxseed for the DHA.

depending on your caution w/ allergies - we started also doing scrambled egg yolks before 1 yr, then i'd slowly get less and less careful about separating out the whites, lol, until we did full-on scrambled eggs. many folks recommend avoiding the whites until 1 yr, though.

I know a lot of people are saying the same thing, but in my opinion the best place to start is with bananas and Cheerios. And don't be afraid to let your baby explore many different kinds and textures of food. As long as you are right there watching and you know how to rescue him if he starts choking, he will learn much better and faster if you are not scared to let him try lots of things. Good luck!

The only suggestion I have would be bananas cut into bite size pieces.

When my daughter was about the same age, a friend of mine visited with her three kids (her son was the same age as my daughter.) I was astounded that she gave her 10 month old just about everything she gave her older ones... she just cut the pieces really small and let her son pincer grasp them on his own. He was happy, she was happy and I learned a lot! I got the guts to do the same, although I introduced things a little more slowly in case of food allergies (which I later didn't worry about with my next kids... you are always the most cautious with the first!!!)

I thought cutting up apple chunks and microwaving them until very soft was a quick favorite (cool for a long time and then smush them with a fork so they are solid, but not easily choked.) You can do the same with carrots or many veggies. My kids liked to chew, but make sure yours is tolerating it well before going semi-solid. I HATED biter biscuits... ALL my kids have choked on pieces (you'd think I would have learned with my first experience, but they just seem like they are meant for kids!) Good luck!

R. - I would start your son off with food items like Cheerios, cheetos and small cut up pieces of vegetables from your plate (green beans, peas, corn, etc.) Mashed potatoes are good to introduce at this age too. The teething biscuits that you have introduced will dissolve, but in case he does get choked, just clear it out of his mouth.

At this age, he could start eating the same type things that you are, just in smaller, easy to chew bites.

GOOD LUCK and GOD BLESS !!

R.

My 9 month old has two teeth and prefers to feed herself solids. She will eat pureed food occasionally, but once we started solids, she loved them and meal time was so much better. I give her diced peaches, bananas, pears (sometimes I do canned). Gerber has graduate foods that aren't sugary.
Last night she had avocado, cheese that I cubed really small, lean ground beef, peaches. For lunch she had chicken, canned no-salt green beans.
Sometimes I give her whole strands of pasta and she has a blast playing with it. It takes forever for her to eat it so it keeps her occupied longer. haha
Cut up cooked pasta.
Your son has more than enough teeth to eat a lot of foods. Have fun with this and take advantage of it!

1 / 3