What Non-prescription Products Do You Give Your Kids to Help with Asthma

Hi Moms,

My 8yr old daughter has allergies that cause asthma symptoms. She is on Zyrtec during that day, and Singular in the evening. She also has an inhaler and we have a nebulizer with allbuterol when she is wheezing. She is also getting allergy shots. The allergies are so bad lately, and we will be going back to the allergist to see what else we can do.

So my question is, does anyone use certain vitamins, supplements, etc to help with the coughing/wheezing/allergies? We started taking probiotics. Anything else work?

Thank you.

Thanks for all the response thus far. Just to answer a few of the questions. My daughter uses a maintenance inhaler, and we also have an inhaled steroid one. I am just looking for other options in conjunction with the current meds. I am just hoping to build up her immnune system. She has not had to go to the ER, and has never had a full blown asthma attack which is good. I just hate to see her wheeze and cough so much. She is such a trooper, she is my tough one of of my 3 girls.

I will be getting the allergy bedding and the air purifier for her room.

There are vitamins and minerals that could help with allergies. That you have started taking probiotics is awesome! I'd like to know what kind of probiotic and whether you have researched it. Brands do matter. I'm a Shaklee Independent Distributor and I totally trust the Shaklee scientists. Building the immune system is the first place to start and that's why probiotics are so important. Email me. I'd be glad to call you with some more ideas.
All the best,
P.

We carry a portable nebulizer with us all the time so if someone starts wheezing we can just do a quick breathing treatment and be done with it. I don't like inhalers and have had bad luck being able to use them so the portable neb is a lifesaver for us. We don't use any other meds than Albuterol for adults and Zophenex for the kids. I also have just some sterile water in tubes to use when it's just from being too dry. We do carry an epi pen for my husband and I carry the single dose Benadryl in my purse in case of an emergency.

I don't know if I would go off prescription meds and try something non-prescription. Is that what your intention is? or just information to supplement the use of medications?

It might be very infomative, I hope to look back and read some good answers here.

When my kids are sick or not felling well I give them the immunity vitamin, but I'm not sure if it helps w/ allergies eventhough all 3 kids take Zyrtec as well. I try to give them the immunity vitamin everyother day & a regular one on the other days, but when they are down & out I only give the immunity one.

Allergies are bad this year... I was told our early warm weather in Ohio tricked the plants to thinking it was later in the year & some later blooming plants are starting early, plus the normal ones for this time of year are blooming. I know of people that usually have no issues that are having troubles this year.

Also, with my kids - we had cut back the amount of Zyrtec they took over the winter & just had to increase it back to the amount the doc perscribed them. We were told we could cut them back when they are doing good, just to increase it as soon as we saw any signs of issues.

Good luck getting her "uncontroll" I know it can be hard - my 6 yr old is our worst... but we have been blessed w/ no hospitalizations or ER visits in over 2 years for her, but it was a huge battle to get to that point.

as well as the supplements, you can get her the allergen free bedsheets, pillowcases, remove curtains from her room and add an air purifier, wash stuffed animals, vacuum daily... these are all suggestions given to us to help with reducing allergens

Allergies are horrible this year across the country! I know here in the Kansas City area normal high pollen counts are ###-###-####. This year they are recording pollen counts that are 8000-10,000 and that is not a typo!

I know for our family we have used a whole food supplement for 10 years with great results with our overall health.

But as a wellness educator if I could suggest also looking at her diet, specifically artificial colors. Yellow dye #5 and #6 have been clinically proven to cause allergic and asthmatic symptoms in people who are sensitive. And I've seen it with my own eyes with one of my nephews.

Let me know if you have any questions or if I can help in any other way.

L. Krause, RN, Certified Dr. Sears L.E.A.N. Coach
www.YourKitchenCoach.net

I don't know if they still have them or not, but you may want to see if the American Lung Association still has a support group for parents of kids with asthma. When I was little, my parents went to that and learned how to pound on our backs to loosen the phlegm. I'm sure that there are even more things to share (there probably was back then too, but I was too little to remember) now that science has progressed.

Hi, we use Chinese herbs given by our acupuncturist. There are pediatric acupuncturists who, with children, just stimulate the acupuncture points rather than stick needles in. And can order herbs that could be useful.

Ashley recommended allergen-free bedding. If your daughter is allergic to dust, then the bedding is very important. Also very important is to have no carpeting in the bedroom. Taking out the carpeting in the bedroom made a huge difference for us. For allergen-free bedding, you can contact AllergyProducts.com.

Siddheshwari

Our allergist has recommended Zantac (yes, the acid reducer) for wheezing, coughing, and allergies. If your daughter has reflux, it may be making the coughing/wheezing worse. It is OTC, but I would ask your doctor before starting on it, and if you do go that route, keep in mind that it can take a couple of weeks to be effective.

You may also want to ask about a nasal inhaler. That can really help with the inflammation and difficulty breathing through the nose. What kind of inhaler does she currently have? There are rescue inhalers (albuterol), and maintenance inhalers. She may need both. Also, if she is having a terrible time, they may need to give her oral steroids to get her through the rough patch. The one last thing that I would ask about is sinus infection(although your allergist will probably check anyway). Asthmatics often develop secondary infections and if that is the case, you may need to put her on antibiotics as well. You may feel like a pharmacy, but breathing trumps everything else at our house! Best of luck.

L.,
what you are doing is what I've done. I have a nebulizer machine that I rarely use anymore, but it's always at hand for when I need it for my kids together with the albuterol. I wouldn't change anything, just wait to see what the allergist tells you. Unless you want to try something else, then go to a natural health store and see what they have. I never thought of that, I would give them the medicine (nebulizer) and pray! Thank God they pretty much have outgrown that. My girl who is 8, is the only one that had an episode a few months ago.
Blessings

1 / 3