What Kinds of Foods to Feed My 9 Month Old?

(I have been feeding my 9 month old ground pears, other fruit, some veggies and have mixed some baby cereal with it. Does anyone know at what age can I be feeding her more "adult type" foods? She also doesn't like to feed herself, any suggestions?
It's been such a long time ago since I did this with my son, I have forgotten! :-)
Any help is greatly appreciated!)

***Thanks so much for everyone's advice, help and website info!!!!!
She has 2 bottom teeth and 2 top ones coming in...Yesterday she ate mashed bananas, and pears and today for lunch had pasta with a little cheese. She loved it! She is eating more on her own...
Thanks for all the help!

I use this website. It's great! www.wholesomebabyfood.com

They have foods by age, reciepes, etc. So far it has coincided with what my doctor has been saying as well.

You could try giving her finger foods she can pick up, like Cheerios, cut grapes, Gerber Puffs, etc. Things that dissolve pretty well in her mouth. Good luck.

I think it was around that age that I fed baby food and cereal at baby time meals, but at our meals baby would get a sippy of water for practice and bits and pieces of watever we were eating that was appropriate to try and sit with us at the table. Some examples would be noodles, potatoes, bread, soft vegies, crackers, cereal, rice.... anything soft or that dissolves easily. If you feed baby food at your own meal times try giving baby just a little of your food to taste and try when he/she is done eating. They may throw it though if their tummy is full. :)

My nine month old is eating almost everything we eat. I chop everything really small, and he gums it. There are some restrictions. I don't feed him anything that has higher risk of allergies or choking and is recommended to wait until after one year or more. I still feed him some baby foods too if we are having something spicy, for instance. Even though your daughter doesn't like to feed herself I would still provide her with finger foods. She'll eventually pick them up. You can feed her the finger foods as well as baby foods, until she gets interested in feeding herself.

Wholesomebabyfood.org is a great site that my husband found when were were reseaching solids. I highly recommend it.

You can start now-of course ommitting the milk, wheat, egg whites, peanut butter, honey or chocolate - you should wait until 1 year for those.

My second wouldn't eat baby food very well and around 7 monts we started introducing more adult foods, just ground up. Then as he started getting teeth and chewing better we started doing less grinding. he's 10 months now and he pretty much eats our food, I just cut everything that's not super soft up in tiny peices. Then you can just spoon or fork feed her. And if you put some peices on her tray while you're feeding her, it might also make her curious and try some self feeding during the meals too.

Give her foods she can hold onto/grab - Gerber puffs are better than Cheerios at this age because they disolve much faster. Graham cracker sticks are good for the same reason and not nearly as messy as those teething biscuits. My son also loved black beans. Just open a can and drain. They are fun to pick up, a different color and loaded with protein and fiber. Don't give too many or you'll see them come out almost whole in the diaper. Also soft fruit like bananas and grapes cut into quarters. The frozen peas/carrots mix is good because the carrots are nice and small - just cook until pretty soft.

Stop feeding her - she'll eat what's on her tray when she's hungry enough. Include her at the dinner table with the rest of your family. Even if she doesn't eat, she'll enjoy being a part of the family conversation and will soon understand that everyone is eating so she should too.

1 yr is what the Docs and family experts say for adult table foods. But as she does get older giving her the foods she eats now in small easy to pick up mashable bites works great.

Pastas, Frozen veggies"cook them a bit longer for extra softness", grahm crackers, animal crackers all soaked in milk or juice, steamed apples, peeled quartered grapes. Make great finger foods to start with. Also check out Beechnut foods, Gerber foods and others to get ideas next time your in the grocery store. Good luck

This advice comes from being a mom of 2, and my Father whos and RN in the pediatric ward at the hometown hospital.

1 / 3