What Do You Remember the Most About Your Wedding Day?

I'm the mother of a bride to be.. (November wedding!!) looking for your ideas on offering support for my daughter and general wedding day advice for us! What do you remember the most about the day of your wedding?

I'm so appreciative of everyone who is taking the time to respond to this question. I can't tell you how much it inspires me and nurtures me to read all of your stories. Thank you from the bottom of my heart and I look forward to any other responses I get.

My suggestion about her wedding day is to not let her take care of ANY of the problems or music or dj or anything! It will only stress her out and make her feel like she's still planning and not enjoying. Have there be a "go to" person and let all the major people in the wedding, like the dj and caterer know who that person is.
OTHER than that my favorite memory of my wedding is walking down the isle and seeing my husband for the first time!

I remember that I did not take much time to sit and just enjoy the beautiful, all caught up in the frenzy! I wish I could just go back and sit there in my beautiful dress on MY day and appreciate it!

Don't sweat the small stuff-who cares? Also, remember things-my sister had everybody waiting for her while someone went back to retrieve her shoes! And maybe an extra pair of nylons, tums, tampons, etc for her and the briesmaids.

Congratulations! Enjoy!

There are 2 big things that I remember from my wedding day.

1. After doing the big walk down the aisle, we had the congregation sing a hymm (A christmas carol since it was a christmas wedding!) and I looked over at my husband and he was so nervous that he was frozen. I leaned over to him and whispered " I was so nervous that I forgot my underwear" He looked at me and said " do we need to go back and get them?" I just looked at him and smiled and he started to laugh at my joke and he was relaxed and calm the rest of the ceremony. I know that it sound unconventional - especially in a church! - but it relaxed him and now when things get stressed at home with the 4 kids - we just remind each other to not forget the underwear!

2. At the reception I had my bridesmaids form a barrier around me for about 15 minutes. The had strict instructions that nobody was to interrupt me or talk to me for that 15 minutes. During that time, I just sat at a table by myself and watched and drank in all the sights, sounds and smells. I can still picture that 15 minutes in my head and it is the best memory. I see my dad laughing with some friends, my mom dancing with my brother, the sounds of people laughing and having fun, my centerpieces on the tables, the cake and the scent of just having a wonderful meal still in the air. It was the best gift that my bridesmaids could have ever given to me and is one of my best memories.

Relax and enjoy the day. If something doesn't go as planned - your guests will never know, they just know that they had a wonderful time at your daughters wedding and will walk away with great memories of an enjoyable evening.

Hi Pam!
Mine is just simple . . .make sure she eats at the reception. I never sat down to eat (we didn't do a sit down dinner . . .only hors d' ovours). Had someone brought me a plate or something while I was mingling . . .that would have been lovely.

What do I remember?? That it rained and my beautiful outdoor wedding had to be postponed for an hour and a 1/2 (before I arrived) to move it inside . . .I know, I need therapy to get over this!!

Honestly though, what I remember is this: I had planned everything and stressed about the rain and had a great heart to heart with my dad in that hour and a 1/2 while we waited for the ceremony to be moved inside. Once we got there and the music started and we walked down the aisle, and saw my husband and I forgot about all the tears I had shed about what the flowers would look like or where everyone would sit and who was getting along (or wasn't) with who.

I enjoyed my day and took in every moment (even the rain).

Make sure your daughter doesn't stress too much. Nobody will remember the flowers, but they will remember if she was crabby! :-)

Have fun!

Hi Pam,

I don't know how useful my story will be to you since we eloped but I couldn't help but share.

We got married in Jamaica at Sandals resort. I'm not one of those girls who likes to be center of attention. It makes me very nervous and we both have very small families. Neither of our parents could afford to pay for a large wedding and we chose this route because we really wanted to start off right and buy a house, not an extravaggant party. I don't begrudge those who want the big traditional wedding and I have been to some beautiful, speacial weddings that were wonderful but I wouldn't change what we did for anything.

I remember waking up in our beautiful resort suite that morning and sitting on the balcony watching the ocean come in and out. I then left my husband-to-be for a morning of manicure, pedicure, make up and hair. We got dressed seperately, I in my simple but beautiful white gown and him in a gorgeous tux. We walked together to the wedding destination after speaking to the priest provided to us. The ceremony was on the ocean in a flower filled gazebo on a gorgeous sunny day. We had a small cake and chamaign immediately after and some really beautiful pictures in different locations on the grounds.

It was simple and beautifull. In hindsight it would have been nice to have our parents there but on the flip side what's really special about those memories is also that it was just us. No distractions, no planning other then a couple phone calls, no one to worry about pleasing, nothing to really go wrong and the day was just about the two of us. To us, it was a beautiful, private moment where we committed ourselves to eachother for the rest of our lives.

Maybe not everyone's cup of tea but perfect for us and if I could do it over again I really don't think I'd change one single thing about it.

Congrats to your daughter on her wedding and all I can say is that people get so wrapped up on "the day" rather then what that day really means. This November will make it 8 years for my husband and I. We may not have focused on having a big wedding but we've made sure to focus on having a strong marriage. That's what's really important!

Try to keep everything in perspective. I was married four days after 9/11. I sat in front of the TV that night, assembling my programs and watching the news with shock. We had many, many guests who were not able to make it to our wedding because of flight cancellations - including two groomsmen and some of my closet friends. As I was getting stressed out about fielding all the phone calls from people who couldn't make it, rearranging our table assignments, calling the caterer and the chair/table rental place - my husband looked at me and said "If this is how 9/11 impacts us - that people who can't make it are still alive - then we are very lucky." And, he was right. We still enjoyed our wedding - everyone told us that they needed the "fun" after the week that we had. I know that it is easy to get wrapped up in all the little details and get very stressed out over these things - but, I really learned something about keeping everything in perspective.

Congratulations! Enjoy!

Have the photographer take as many pictures of you and your daughter and your family as possible. We did posed and candid. you will be so thankful you did. enjoy the day with your family and friends. it is such an awesome experience. my husband and i love talking about and thinking about what an awesome day it was for both us, and for our families. good luck and congrats!

Hi Pam,

What a great question! I remember quite a few wonderful things, like sharing a private sweetheart table with my husband during dinner which allowed us a little time to visit and enjoy the experience together. Some guests came to visit our table, which was great, and we really had some nice quiet time together to enjoy our hard work. We also did a receiving line right after the ceremony to greet all of our guests, which I still get positive feedback on 7 years later. Instead of throwing my bouquet, we had all of the married couples come to the dance floor and the DJ every so often asked anyone married less than a certain number of years to please sit down. I believe he did 1 year, then 3 years, then 5, 10, 15, 20, etc. so bit by bit there were fewer couples. The remaining couples had been married quite a long time and the last couple standing, married for 47 years got my bouquet. It was a great way to celebrate long lasting love and to inspire us in our marriage. Enjoy the wedding! - D.

1 / 3