What Ages Do Kids Change Carseats

I have an 11 moth old that is in a toddler carseat facing back. She hated the carrier, so we changed this past weekend. When does she turn around. Also I have an almost 3 year old. When does he come out of the toddler seat and what is the next seat? I have looked online and can not find anything. I am horrible at searching the internet for these type of questions. Shopping I can do, or e-mailing, but not finding answers. So I am putting it out for you smart and experienced ladies.

Thank you for all the responses. I have decided to keep her rear facing in the 5 pt harness seat for a few more months. This will be a pain since I have a small dodge neon. As for my son, I think I will research the Eddie Bower high back 5 pt harness seat when he is ready, not for another year or so.

After the toddler seat is a booster seat. I just moved my 4 and 6 year olds to the booster seat.

I think when my kids were 11 months, I had them facing front. She should be okay.

Hi K., Here is the legal info you need:

Child restraint seat laws by state: http://www.iihs.org/laws/ChildRestraint.aspx

Car Seat Safety:
http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html

http://www.aap.org/family/carseatguide.htm

This link is to the American Academy of Pediatrics website's page all about car seats and who needs to be in them.

I worked for a police department in the metroplex (Dallas) so I will pass on what the traffic division LT. told me.

Never turn a child around before their first birthday no matter how much they weigh. It is about the stregth of their neck muscles if you are in an accident. If the child is small, you may want to wait another couple of months.

As far as the 3 year old, he told me of the horrible deaths he had seen in traffic accidents. It's his personal opinion a child should be kept in a 5 point harnass until they are at least 6 depending on their weight. He had a 6 year old boy at the time who was light and had him in a 5 point. I have researched this and several car seats have 5 points now going up to 60 lbs. He said the law was until they were 4 or 40 lbs., but again stressed the 5 point harnass offers the most protection. You might check on the consumer report website and do your own research. I saw a clip of a 4 year old child who was in a booster with just the strap across him in an accident. He flew out of there like a torpedo. It was horrifying.

You can also check with your local police department on the rules of weight and age with car seats. It's been a couple of years since I talked to mine so the age/weight/height requirements may have changed.

Blessings!

Your infant can turn forward facing when she is one year of age AND 20-22 pounds. Remember you must also check the height limit. Most kids put up a fit but will settle down when the rules stay the same. The longer you can keep Aeris rear facing the better (& following car seat guideleines) as it supports her head, neck, and spine.
As far as Brenneth, 3 yrs. When he tops out of the weight for the forward facing seat he will need to go into a booster seat. Booster seats can range from 40-100 pounds. Our vehicle seats are made for us and we must adapt them for our children to ride safely. Generally you can find a Child Passenger Technician to help with fitting, changing, or answering questions at hospitals, state health departments, military bases, etc. I am a certified child passenger technician. If I can help further please let me know.

Well for the 11mth old it is 1 yr AND 20lbs before turning the seat around. For the 3yr old when he reaches 40 lbs then he can move to a booster seat. When they reach 4 ft, 9 inches AND 80 lbs. then they can ride without a car seat. However, I recommend that they stay in 5 point harnesses as long as possible. Most moms will agree that the 5 point harness car seats are the safest. I hope this helps.

Hi K., Here is the legal info you need:

Car Seat Safety:
http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html

Here is the site you need. All parents should be familiar with it but I know it is a common knowledge thing. I am only familiar with it after many years in law enforcement. It gives you the law, tips and info on when to change seats and even statistical info. Here is the site:
www.dot.state.tx.us/publications/traffic/07_cps_fact_shee....
Just type this in at the http:// search line at the top of your screen.

Blessings,

I just went through the same thing you are going through. My 8 month old had gotten too tall for his infant carrier and my 3 1/2 year old is 40 lbs and had outgrown his toddler seat. I searched and searched the internet trying to find the right answer. Finally, for my 3 year old, I found a seat that is built like a booster but also has the 5 point harness. He can stay in that one up to 100 lbs. Once he turns 4, it can be used with the shoulder belt. It is the Eddie Bauer® Deluxe High Back Booster Seat - Oak Harbor and it was MUCH cheaper then the Britax's we had bought in the past. Be sure to read all the reviews before you buy though, it doesn't seem to install in all cars well but it works perfectly in mine. As for your 11 month old, you can turn that baby around in a month as long as she weighs at least 20 lbs. If your car doesn't have the latch system, you can buy a 'mighty tight' for $16 at Babies R Us, it will get those seats in super tight.

hi!
At the age of a year AND when the child wieghs at least 9 kilos you can turn her aroound to face front. That's when her neck is strong enough.
When your other daughter is around 4 years she can move to a booster seat which just raises her a bit so that the regular seat belt fits right.
I'm D. and i have 3 kids under 6 years. So I've been through this!

They can face forward at 1 year and 20 lbs...must be a combo of both, so if you have a very small child, it may be longer than 1 year. I moved my child out of the carrier by 5 months b/c he was too long, but he had to stay rear facing until about 14 months b/f he reached the 20 lb mark.
As for the 3 year old...it all depends on his weight. My son could use the convertible booster at 35 lbs..check the car seat booster for specifics,,,they are all different.
Hope this helps!

1 / 3