Wanting Information on Cerebral Palsy

Wondering if there are any mothers out there with a child with Cerebral Palsy, and when did you know there something wasn't right with your child? My boy is 7 months old and seems to me he is not normal. He has little flopping spells and chivers every now and then. Am I over reacting and worring about nothing or should I make a DR's appointment. He had bumped his head real good when he was 5 weeks old and I keep worring that there was some damage to his brain. DR's said no at the time but I need to kknow that I'm not over looking something. So please, someone help me ease my mind.

You are already getting awesome advice from the mom's here but I wanted to add that there is a great video on You Tube, the man is a dear friend of mine, he is now almost 44 was dx with CP as a child and has made some amazing progress the past few years, its so cool, even since I have known him he has freed up vocal mucsles and others, can do all sorts of things he couldn't do before, he attributes it to drinking raw cows milk the search would be for David Boyum, Raw milk.. something like that I can find a link but for anyone who has a family member with CP it would bring much hope! blessings..

Hello "M. J",
I came from another page, when I saw your request on CP appearing in the little window. I am A German MD, live in Sedona, AZ and work as a hands-on-healer. I cooperate locally with a few other very gifted people who are trained in Western techniques, yet integrate far more than that. One of my colleagues is a trained osteopathic healer, works as a hands-on-medical intuitive and is literally capable of sensing the position of vessels, nerves, tissue, etc. in the body. We cooperate on patients and assess a lot together. My colleague's name is Luc Chabot, you can reach him at ###-###-####. He offers free 30 min assessment session and is then able to tell you, what you are dealing with, whether he is able to work with it or whatever else you can do. His knowledge and 20 years work experience with cases like your child's and many others is profound and I deeply respect what he does!
A severe bump on the head hardly causes CP, but it can cause impingement of connective tissue inside the brain, can cause the sutures of the skull plates loose their mobility, etc.

I know, you don't live right around the corner, but this may be worth it. The earlier you catch neurologic problems in children, the better their later development. I'll write another mail to the mother with the son, who is walking on tiptoes, which is caused by a continued pull on the spinal cord...all symptoms that can be treated manually -

Good Luck to You and feel free to contact me even by phone, if you prefer ###-###-####

Greetings K. von Merveldt-Guevara

Hello!
In case this comes in useful once a doctor has seen him, try http://www.azdes.gov/AzEIP/.
It is an early intervention program geared to help children 0-3 with developmental assistance they may need. To my knowledge the service is either free or low-cost.

All the best to you and your little boy!

You know your child better than anyone else does. If you have concerns, they may well be based on instinct. I would rather appear foolish to the doctor than risk missing something that could affect my child's health. Make an appointment to discuss what you've been seeing with the doctor. Perhaps you can take some video of these spells your son has, so you have some visual aid to present to the doctor. If your doctor dismisses your concerns, think about finding another doctor. A good doctor will take your concerns seriously, and won't ever make you feel foolish for bringing your child in for an exam when you suspect something may be abnormal.

CP has degrees of manifestation -- anywhere from mild to full-blown CP. If your son does have CP, or another neurological disorder, learning about early can only help him for the rest of his life.

One thing -- and this does not diminsh your concern, it's just my experience -- could your son be shivering when he urinates? My first-born daughter did this frequently when she was a baby. I had concerns about what I thought was mini-seizure (shivering) behavior I saw, and told her pediatrician about it. The Ped didn't know what it could be, but gave my daughter a thorough check-up after I mentioned it. She said to keep an eye on it. About a month later, I held her, naked, on my lap while I ran her bath. She shivered....and peed all over my lap. The running water had provoked her to pee, and she had a vagal nerve reaction to the urge to urinate ... something my hubby calls "Pee-ing shivers." He experiences it too. It was pretty funny once we figured it out. That daughter is now a 17 year old athlete and honors student, preparing for college.

Let us know how things turn out. I'll be thinking about you.

K. L
Apprentice Midwife, Lactation Consultant, Childbirth Educator

Definitely go see a pediatrician or have your pediatrician refer you to a developmental specialist or a pediatric neurologist. It is important to find out early and if you have a feeling that something is just not right, have it checked out. You know your baby better than anyone.

L. Kandell, MS, RD, IBCLC
Registered Dietitian/Pediatric Specialist
International Board Certified Lactation Consultant
AFFILIATED NUTRITION CONSULTANTS, LLC
Scottsdala, AZ 85258
###-###-####

First of all--definitely get your son to a doctor--a specialist, if possible. If you'd like more information on Cerebral Palsy I suggest contacting the local chapter of UCP (United Cerebral Palsy). The national website is www.ucp.org and you could probably find the local info there. Good luck.

Make an appt. Record everything you can, with as much detail and information as you can. Some of it could just be normal for him as every child is different but I think you are wise to listen to your gut feeling, as it does seem like something's a little off here. The more information you can share with your pediatrician, the better response you'll get, either a referral to an appropriate specialist, or an idea of what it is/what to do next.

I am not sure if 7mo is too young or when they start (18m?), but school districts have early intervention services so if you know who to talk to in your school district, even if they can't test your baby yet, they should be able to point you in the right direction.

There are many different degrees is CP... I used to work with people who had CP in all different forms.... Just watch your child carefully and they can test for it after a year....

1 / 3