VALTREX When Pregnant

I am currently 10 weeks pregnant and have a terrable cold sore. I have always gotten them and normally take Valtrex when I have an out break. I called my OB to see what I could take for this outbreak since I am pregnant. To my suprise he told me it was ok to take Valtrex. I am really nervous about taking the medicine. Has anyone else taken it while pregant or know anything about possible side effects?

I have two kids and pregro with my third. I have taken Valrex on occassion with all three pregnacies for cold sores, and there have been no problems.

I did take Valtrex too when I was last pregnant (about late 2007) and had it prescribed by my OB b/c my pcp wasn't sure. No probs 4 us.

I took valtrex when I was pregnant - I had the worst breakout of cold sores ever! It worked well and I now have a healthy 4 month old baby boy. I really think that its ok to take it, although you should really go with your gut feeling and whats good for you. Good luck!

My daughter took it while she was pregnant and my grandson is now one!!!

I have chronic shingles and took a course of valtrex while I was pregnant. It is safe. As a matter of fact they give it to moms who have genital herpes about two weeks before they are to deliver to prevent transmission to the baby. So no worries! But you could try Zovirax cream first to see if that would help.

I worked at a birthing center and the OBs and midwives prescribed Valtrex for all their patients with genital herpes (same virus as your cold sore) several weeks before birth so they wouldn't be having an outbreak at the time of delivery. It is safe for pregnancy.

I did take it while pregnant & was uneasy, but seemed to have no problems with it.

S.,

Valtrex is just a timed release acyclovir, and acyclovir has been around for decades-long enough to have been researched well in pregnancy. Of course you should be concerned with taking any medication while you're pregnant, but aAll the research I read says it is safe to take while pregnant. However, you know you need to take it at the first sign of a cold sore, so is it too late already to really be of any benefit?

Is this the first outbreak since becoming pregnant? When I was pregnant, I didn't get a single outbreak for the whole pregnancy. Maybe this will be the only one! Did you get outbreaks with your first pregnancy?

I was 10 weeks along as well and I developed a horrible cold sore that spread from my entire bottom lip onto my chin. It was the worst one that I have ever had. I too was told to take Valtrex by my ob. I was a little worried and even called back to the office and asked a second time if it was alright to take it. I wouldn't worry about it too much they wouldn't tell you to take something that would be harmful to your baby.

1 / 3