Valium for a 2 Year Old?

So I posted a question about my son's Febrile Seizures last night after a trip to the ER.

While we were in the ER the doctor said that was going to prescribe Oliver (Who will be 2 in late October) Valium He instructed us to insert it rectally if the seizure lasts longer than 5 minutes (He also said that if the seizure lasts longer than 5 minutes are supposed to bring him in to the ER). Justin wasn't too sure about the idea of giving our 2 year old Valium. Needless to say, he was relieved when it turned out that Valium is not covered by our insurance and is upwards of $200! Since it is so expensive, Justin easily won that battle.

Today I got a call from the pharmacist at the hospital. The doctor that we saw last night has apparently been working with the pharmacist all day to figure out a solution for us to get the drug cheaper. The pharmacist told me that the solution they came up with was to give me a liquid form of Valium with a syringe that turned the liquid into mist that we are supposed to squirt up his nose to stop the seizure if it lasted longer than 5 minutes. They said they would put the prescription on hold for me while we made this decision.

Justin is still against giving a 2 year old Valium. I would kind of like to have it on hand, just in case. Obviously we are going to talk to Oliver's regular doctor about this before we make a decision, but out of curiosity what would you do?

I should have added that his seizures last no where near 5 minutes. His first seizure didn't count to the doctors as a seizure because it was basically full body spasms that lasted a couple seconds and came and went throughout the day. The second seizure lasted around 30-45 seconds. This seizure lasted between a minute and a minute and a half. So they have gotten no where near 5 minutes.

I think a child having a seizure , longer than 5 minutes is a bigger risk , than a dose of Valium.

He's against giving your son Valium, but OK with the results of a 5 minute long seizure? The Valium is ONLY for this extreme emergency. ONLY if your son is in grave danger. What is your husband's problem? Does he not get what the reason is? It's to reduce the consequences and complications of a prolonged seizure, and...oh yeah...lessen the risk of DEATH. Is your husband an idiot? It's always a good idea to talk with your pediatrician, but really...this is a common way to stop prolonged seizures. Does he think he's smarter then a doctor? Sorry to be harsh, but geez.

I try to not give my child or myself antibiotics, because we normally really don't need it. As a whole, our country is completely over medicated. They aren't trying to over medicate your son. They are trying to HELP in an extreme, dangerous situation. OF COURSE, I would give it to my son. I would rather deal with the complications (if any are caused in my child) of Valium, then a prolonged, untreated seizure.

I would go ahead and check with Oliver's regular pedi but it seems to me that if the ER doctor took the time and made the effort to try to resolve your financial concerns, he really must think you NEED to have it on hand.

Unless your husband is a doctor, I wouldn't let this be his decision.
This is your child. Get a second opinion if you're not feeling comfortable with the course of action the hospital doc and pharmacist came up with.
But I have to say, I think it's pretty amazing that they are going above and beyond to get your son an affordable treatment, they must really believe in it.

Of course it seems odd to hear someone want to give your baby Valium. I totally understand. I have given Valium hundreds of times to children to stop seizure activity. I never had a parent say anything other then thank you. Just keep it on hand, just in case. I hope you never need it. It sounds like you found an amazing, caring Md and pharmacist to try to help you out. Most would have said, well you won't pay for it? Good luck. I hope your little one is fully recovered very soon. Seizures can be terrifying to witness. I really hope they don't occur again.

You're awfully new to this seizure thing. Quite frankly, I'd get this and have it on hand. The thing is, there is no NEVER where these seizures are concerned. Just one full-out non-stopping seizure could give your child permanent brain damage. How would you both feel if he had a long seizure that didn't stop, you didn't have the medicine that the doctor had thought was SO important that he worked over and over with the pharmacy and insurance company to get covered, and you had refused to fill it, thinking that he would NEVER have a seizure that lasted long enough to need to use? You'd never forgive yourselves...

Justin isn't a doctor. He is a nervous parent. He needs to open his mind and consider that forewarned is forearmed, and just because you have the medicine doesn't mean that it has to be used. BUT, if you are dealing with a seizure that doesn't stop, the ambulance has to be called, you have to wait for the ambulance, the techs have to talk to the doctor, they have to wait for instructions, and by the time they are told what to do, they are at the hospital, wheeling him in, assessing, deciding what to do, etc, etc, etc, all of a sudden you are WAY WAY WAY past 5 minutes and looking at the possibility of your son never being the same again.

Justin, it's just not worth it...

Go to your ped and talk about it, V.. Ask for a ped neurologist like I mentioned in your other post. Get more tests done. And get that medicine to hang on to, just in case. Just in case.

You have absolutely NO assurances that his seizures won't last longer. None at all.

Febrile seizures are actually more commen then
Most think. My daughter is 16 and had 4 seizures between the ages 1-3. My pedi was very understanding and knew I was freaked but he put his hand on my shoulder and said you do not need to rush her to ER everytime unless of course or lasted 5 min. He never prescribed Valium but if he had of course I would have had it on hand just in case. It's like having and epi pen on hand in case of a severe reaction. I understand your husband concern but chances are way high that it will never be used. I hope Oliver doesn't have any more I knw how scary it is!

I can understand Justin's caution. He only wants the best for his son, and he wants him safe.

But the most reasonable thing would be to have this emergency-only drug on hand, because if that emergency arrived, Justin would probably wish he could decide to use the drug then, or not. And if he opts to rush Oliver to the ER, they will still treat the seizure with drugs like Valium or stronger.

I hope Justin remembers that the prescribing doctor has probably treated many children with febrile seizures successfully, and knows what to watch out for. It sounds like he is VERY concerned about your son's well-being. Few doctors would put out that much effort unless they were genuinely worried about a worse outcome without the drug.

1 / 3