Vacuum Cleaner?? - Birmingham,MI

Good Morning Ladies, I DESPISE my Hoover vaccum cleaner and desperately want to upgrade with my tax refund. I have two friends who swear by theirs. The trouble?? One loves her Oreck and one loves her Dyson. Both are very expensive and I want to invest wisely. We all suffer from dust allergies and my son has asthma as well, so I need something very powerful and comprehensive. We don't have pets. I like to use the attachements for draperies and furniture and such. We also have a long flight of carpeted stairs that requires cleaning regularly. Any opinions that might help tip the scale would be greatly appreciated. :-) Thanks in advance for your attention. S.

Between the two I'd get a Dyson. I have an Oreck. I didn't even buy it, wasn't consulted. I have never liked it. More than even the Dyson, I'd get the one sold by Amway. But anything without the bags to have to put in. The Dyson is just better designed and makes more sense.

Look at a good old fashioned style Royal vacuum cleaner and get the hepa filtration bags for it. The Oreck and Dyson don't even come close to vacuuming as well as the Royal. Plus the Royal model we bought has a 7 year warranty and was cheaper than the Dyson and Oreck. I know it looks old school and clunky, but boy does it clean! If you go to one of Banks vacuum, http://www.banksvac.com/, store locations you can look at and demo all those models and decide for yourself. I think their closest location may be Troy? Good luck!

We have a Kirby (vacuums and shampoos), and I simply love it. Surpasses many vacuums on the market and comes with plenty of attachments to do just about anything. It's a bit pricey, but well worth the investment if you like clean (really clean) carpets.

I use to have an Oreck--HATED HATED it! But that was a few years ago-and things change...I do have a Dyson and LOVE it! Well worth the money!

I LOVE my Oreck. I have the one with 10 yr warranty, all the bells and whistles. It is SO lightweight and makes the job a lot easier. I do have 3 dogs and I use it on a daily basis.

My mom has a Dyson, although she said it is good, she does not care for it because it is so heavy. She regrets not going with a lighter weight one.

I have a Miele. German made, expensive and works. I too have allergies and asthma. I use all the attachments for dusting, stairs etc. Had an Oreck--it became so noisy, I had to use ear protection. R.

Why don't you ask your 2 friends if you could borrow each of their's for a week (or maybe trade with you for a week). That way you can see which you like better by trial and error.

I don't want to make your decision harder, but have you considered a Rainbow? It uses water to capture everything you vacuum up, so it can't get back out into the air. It seems like there is one other brand out there that does that.

My parents had a Rainbow when I was growing up, and when my husband and I were first married of course we couldn't afford one. We got one a couple years before our son was born. Day care lady has one, too. Everyone I know who has one is so surprised at all the stuff it sucks up. It is yucky to dispose of the water and clumps of hair/dust (we have a cat), but I feel it has helped with allergies and overall to have a clean home. There is a stairway attachment that is great for stairs, and other attachments as well.

As for the two brands you mentioned, I know a couple people with a Dyson. They like them, but one of them had a Rainbow demo and it got stuff out of her carpet even though she had just vacuumed with the Dyson. Still, the Dyson is less money than a Rainbow, so out of the two options you listed I would choose the Dyson.

1 / 3