Vaccines - Miami Beach,FL

Hi there, I have another question! I have my son's 6 month appointment this afternoon. We have not given him any vaccines and I was hoping to delay his vaccines until he is around 2 years old, and only give some vaccines. I am so confused though!! We have a wedding in early May in Los Angeles so we have to fly. I have reading about the recent outbreaks, the whooping cough outbreak about 8 months ago and now the Measles scare a few days ago on a flight. I am just needing advice or some words of wisdom. I tried discussing with my husband and he is always so busy working lately....he says it is up to me and my mother gets too emotional!!
I considered asking the doctor today if we could start with just Pertussis (whooping cough) and take it from there. Please let me know your thoughts. He is my first baby and I only want what is best for him and I fear making the wrong decision.
Thank you so much ladies!!
xoxoxox

I just wanted to add that I trust my doctor 100%, I just do not trust the vaccines. I also wanted to mention that I have read several books on vaccines and have been to a lecture. I also know that mom's can give some amazing advice that you cannot find anywhere else. I appreciate everyone's advice and I look forward to the rest of your comments!!! Thank you!!!

I fear the diseases more than the vaccines.
Some of those diseases are making major comebacks because people are not vaccinating like they use to.
http://www.wired.com/magazine/2009/10/ff_waronscience_arg...

I don't get the whole waiting on vaccines thing. It has been proven (and the doctor admitted) the research linking autisim to vaccines was all a LIE.

I was born in December 1954, just before the last major polio outbreak in the 1950's, and before the Salk vaccine. My Mother was so scared, she had suffered through infertility issues and finally had children. Polio like many other diseases starts with a sore throat, fever, and cough, like the flu, a cold. Until the paralysis started people often didn't know they had polio. What so many think of as minor childhood diseases are really quite serious. Helen Keller was born normal but got either measles or scarlet fever (I have heard both versions) at around the age of 12 months and lost both her hearing and vision due to the high fever. Mary Ingalls from The Little House Books and TV show became blind due to the high fever from measles. And we lost more soldiers due to the flu in WWI than battle injuries. Okay enough history:
The only disease we have been able to totally get rid of, world wide, is Small Pox. In 3rd world countries all other childhood diseases are a constant threat to children and adults. Even Black Plague is making a comeback, luckily doctors have discovered that is curable with antibiotics. The states bordering Mexico have had epidemic cases of all childhood diseases, partly due to undocumented aliens and partly due to day workers who legally cross the border daily for work and then return home. Because I am older I have seen the effects of these illnesses I consider vaccines a Godsend and would NEVER withhold them from a child.

I would not take my unvaccinated (for pertussis especially) child on a flight until he had had the required shots to protect him.

There is a graveyard behind my house and one area is filled with babies at the turn of the century who probably died of things our kids are protected against today. I am totally not afraid of vaccines. I am afraid of not protecting my child as these diseases make a comeback.

Which do you trust less? Vaccines or the diseases they prevent children from getting? The more people don't trust the vaccines, the more the diseases spread.

The reason there are measles and pertussis outbreaks is because of people who don't vaccinate. So decide which person you are going to be - one who trusts her doctor and understands that NOTHING in life is free - either you take a chance on vaccines that milliions of people take without problems or take the chance in paying a price that means either YOUR child gets deathly sick, or gets sick and spreads the disease to someone else who could get deathly sick.

Yes vaccinate. I was concerned too but my son is up to date except for MMR and he's 20 months and completely fine. Here in CA, several babies died for whooping cough and when I read that, I was so thankful I had decided to protect my son by vaccinating him. That really confirmed for me that I had made the right decision. Your son is too young to fight off infections that can occur if he is exposed to someone who is sick. Get him vaccinated! He'll be fine.

Read and educate yourself. Don't just take your doctor's advice. Doctors typically have their own agenda's mainly in the form of money. Read the Vaccine Book by Dr. Sears. Your baby is not even eligible for the MMR until he is a year old. Many of the whooping cough cases occured in children that were already vaccinated. Also, the pertussis vaccine does cause brain swelling, look into that as that may be something you don't want.
Also, pertussis rarely causes fatalities in infants older than 2 months. I have a BS degree in Respiratory Therapy and I am now a midwife. My oldest child got almost all the vaccines, I then became more educated about them and my second child has a few. None until she was 2. I then read more and more and my 3rd child has no vaccines. Don't get your child any vaccines today. You really need to read some books on the subject and then decide.

Lisa

I would still wait until he is 2 except for the pertussis. Measles is not much of a worry & the vaccine really does not always work. I was vaccinated for it as a child & still got the measles. It is uncomforatble but vary rarley is it a serious ilness unless the child arleady has other health issues. I did not vaccinate my son for MMR & he ironically contracted measles from a doctor's visit. All it was as a week of low fever, slight rash & a cranky baby. Go with your instincts!!

I'm with the moms who fear the diseases more than the vaccines.

There are risks to anything in life. Just being on this earth is a risk. As your son gets older, he will want to do things that are risky. My kids have done snowboarding, horseback riding, driving and hang gliding to name a few. Those things are risky, but I allow them to do them.

With vaccines, I believe the benefits GREATLY outweigh the risks. I know people do it (don't vaccinate) but I wouldn't feel comfortable taking that risk with my kids.

1 / 3