Using a Swaddler

My 5 month has used a Swaddler since he was born because he would wake himself up at night by hitting himself in the face. We're concerned that when he starts to be able to work himself out of it, he won't sleep as well. Has anyone else had this problem or have any solutions?

My daughter used one until she was 4 months old and when we went to the doctor then she said she shouldn't still be using it. She said that it hinders their development of motor skills by being wrapped up like that. I was worried so I stopped using it right away. My daughter never hit herself or anything; just keep their nails trimmed to prevent scratching. He'll be fine. =)

my girls used the swaddles and when they did work them selves out they slept fine no waking more than usual. they will use it until 9 or 10 months and by then they dont have the uncontrolled jumps when they throw their hands around that goes away and he wont wake his self up that way.i am not saying he will sleep all night that all depends on the child but he wont be punching his self awake.

I would not worry about it. I am surprised your son has not worked himself out of it already. By this age if your son is rolling over he will be better able to move himself into a comfortable position to sleep. This may include rolling onto his stomach and sleeping on his hands (which is okay once he can roll himself there). Also, by 5 months your son should have out grown the startle reflex that would have caused him to hit himself when he was younger.

We swaddled our son until about 5 months as well. He actually got so tall, we had to cut the bottom off the swaddler so his legs were free but his arms were still held in! I thought it would go on forever, but he abrubtly let us know when he did not want it anymore. After that there were a few nights of waking himself up and I would go in, rub his back, give a pacifier, whatever, but after that he was fine. Your child will let you know when he is done with it and learn to sleep without it soon enough!

If he's wiggling out of it...he's probably done being swaddled.

He's obviously done being bound up, I wouln't force him into it.

If your child still needs to be swaddled after he outgrows the one you have try using a flat sheet and use it the same way, I am a nanny and 2 of the little girls that I have had required the swaddling, and up over the age of 1 and I had to use a flat sheet for them. It works just the same way.
Best of Luck

I recommend you try to stop using the swaddler as soon as possible. It's actually bad for their hip development, but not widely known. They are only supposed to be used only until about 6 weeks of age. It's important for a baby's hips to be allowed to externally rotate (frog leg position) in sleep in order to put pressure on the hip socket and cause it to deepen. I wouldn't force this position...they should do it naturally. I don't want to alarm you...I seriously doubt any harm has been done...it just needs to be publicized more when to stop swaddling. It will also be easier to stop using it before the baby learns to depend on it. Good luck.

I swaddled my son till he was about 6 months of age. I broke him of it by making it more and more loose till he was hardly wrapped at all. The funny thing is he never really tried to get out. He did go through an adjustment once he was able to move his arms freely but it didn't last long. And the habit he had developed of being a good sleeper from the swaddling is still with him now at 2.5 years.

Have you read the book 'happiest baby on the block'? They recommend swaddling to comfort babies through month 3 or 4. after that your baby's nervous system should be developed enough that he would no longer flinch and wake himself up. They reccomend at 4 montsh to try swaddling with one arm out, if he wakes himself up he still needs to be swaddled, if not he's probably ready to sleep on his own. I hope this helps.

I used the swaddle blankets with both of my children and they did fine after they could wiggle their little arms out. With my daughter, I would just reswaddle her if she woke up and then around 6 months old started leaving one arm out when I got her ready for bed. Then two weeks later leaving both arms out and then no swaddle after another two weeks. She did just fine with that transistion and never woke up more than usual. As for my son he is swaddled only at night time and always gets out and I just leave him unswaddled and give him a blanket to hold. The same is true with him about not getting up more than usual after he wiggles out. They only got up in the middle of the noght once or twice to have their pacifiers put back in. Good Luck and don't worry.

He probably won't wake himself up, but you may try to gradually unwrap him and see what happens. This could get him used to the freedom of not having it all the time when he sleeps. I had one that loved to be swaddled and one that hated the confinement of it. That's my two cents, hope it helps.

My son was born at the beginning of September and I still use a swaddler ( he was a preemie, so he still fits). He is able to wiggle his arms out and and kick his legs out sometimes, but he does not wake himself up. It is normal for my son to fuss a little at night, but he does that if he stays swaddled or not. I actually put him in bed last night without his swaddler and he did just fine, he still slept 12 hours as usual. Good Luck!

Our daughter was born 5 weeks early. They swaddled her in the hospital and we kept it up at home, but then it became a problem because she would work her arms out, hit herself in the face & wake up. I continued swaddling her until she was almost 4 months old, but I have decided that I will not do it with #2 since we ALL lost sleep because of it. My mom said she never swaddled me & I didn't wake myself up. I think it's probably best to just let them get used to sleeping with out it. I ended up using a wedge that had moveable sides and that made her feel safe, if you want to know more about it let me know! Hope this helps but just do what you have to do to rest-you need it!