Using a Swaddler

My 5 month has used a Swaddler since he was born because he would wake himself up at night by hitting himself in the face. We're concerned that when he starts to be able to work himself out of it, he won't sleep as well. Has anyone else had this problem or have any solutions?

My daughter used one until she was 4 months old and when we went to the doctor then she said she shouldn't still be using it. She said that it hinders their development of motor skills by being wrapped up like that. I was worried so I stopped using it right away. My daughter never hit herself or anything; just keep their nails trimmed to prevent scratching. He'll be fine. =)

my girls used the swaddles and when they did work them selves out they slept fine no waking more than usual. they will use it until 9 or 10 months and by then they dont have the uncontrolled jumps when they throw their hands around that goes away and he wont wake his self up that way.i am not saying he will sleep all night that all depends on the child but he wont be punching his self awake.

I would not worry about it. I am surprised your son has not worked himself out of it already. By this age if your son is rolling over he will be better able to move himself into a comfortable position to sleep. This may include rolling onto his stomach and sleeping on his hands (which is okay once he can roll himself there). Also, by 5 months your son should have out grown the startle reflex that would have caused him to hit himself when he was younger.

We swaddled our son until about 5 months as well. He actually got so tall, we had to cut the bottom off the swaddler so his legs were free but his arms were still held in! I thought it would go on forever, but he abrubtly let us know when he did not want it anymore. After that there were a few nights of waking himself up and I would go in, rub his back, give a pacifier, whatever, but after that he was fine. Your child will let you know when he is done with it and learn to sleep without it soon enough!

If he's wiggling out of it...he's probably done being swaddled.

He's obviously done being bound up, I wouln't force him into it.

If your child still needs to be swaddled after he outgrows the one you have try using a flat sheet and use it the same way, I am a nanny and 2 of the little girls that I have had required the swaddling, and up over the age of 1 and I had to use a flat sheet for them. It works just the same way.
Best of Luck

I recommend you try to stop using the swaddler as soon as possible. It's actually bad for their hip development, but not widely known. They are only supposed to be used only until about 6 weeks of age. It's important for a baby's hips to be allowed to externally rotate (frog leg position) in sleep in order to put pressure on the hip socket and cause it to deepen. I wouldn't force this position...they should do it naturally. I don't want to alarm you...I seriously doubt any harm has been done...it just needs to be publicized more when to stop swaddling. It will also be easier to stop using it before the baby learns to depend on it. Good luck.

I swaddled my son till he was about 6 months of age. I broke him of it by making it more and more loose till he was hardly wrapped at all. The funny thing is he never really tried to get out. He did go through an adjustment once he was able to move his arms freely but it didn't last long. And the habit he had developed of being a good sleeper from the swaddling is still with him now at 2.5 years.

1 / 3