Used Medela Pump in Style

It's my understanding that breast pumps cannot be reused by another person or refurbished in anyway because of bacteria. I am no longer using mine and would like to do more with it than dump it in the trash. Does anyone know of anything I can do with the pump? I wish someone who needs it could get use out of it, but I don't want to do anything harmful whilst trying to be helpful. Suggestions please :)

the pump itself is fine. Only the cups, tubes and stuff need to be replaced which does not cost too much. It can totally bereused because the milk does not go in the actual machine. You could probably sell it but w/o the accessories. But if you sterilized the accessories it may not be a big deal. As long as the person knows what they are getting.

I think as long you replace the tubes and all the pieces that come in direct contact with the milk/breast, you can reuse it. Without that stuff, it's just a machine.

You can reuse them but you have to replace the tubing and attachments. Which is exactly what they would do if you were to rent one.

You can reuse them like others have said. I sold mine on Craigslist and it was a very easy way to pass it on to someone else who could use it.

You can reuse a pump, just replace the idividual parts like the tubing and valves. Medela rents the pumps so I have never understood why they say they cannot be used by someone else.

Medela pumps are supposed to be single user pumps because of the way they are constructed. Bacteria from one user cannot be completely removed just by replacing the parts. Some other pumps can be reused just by replacing the parts. However, for someone that cannot afford a new pump, they may be willing to buy/ accept a used Medela pump. I have never heard of any issues yet from using a used Medela pump.

Barefoot Books Ambassador
www.ReadandGrow.com

It may seems a bit unorthodox, but there is a non-profit company in town called Transition Services that recycle pretty much anything electronic into robot figurines to sell in their gift shop. The company is an employment provider for people with disabilities, and they teach people how to make all kinds of cool crafts. The robots are really cool, and they make money to support the organizations through the sales of all their products. You can contact them via their website at www.tsilasvegas.com to see if they want your pump! I think I might do the same thing with mine!

I have given my old Playtex to another mommy and it was fine. You just want to make sure that you withhold any parts that may come into contact with milk or your breast, like the breast shields and tubing. They can buy replacement parts online. The most expensive part to replace is the motor itself, though, which CAN be transferred from person to person, so you'd still be helpful.

I had an expensive one that my cousin let me borrow; she had used it as well. I just bought new tubing, bottles, etc. They rent them at hospitals, so I'm not sure where you heard that they can't be used again. Maybe the cheaper ones, the manuals you can't?

1 / 3