Transition from Carseat to Booster Seat???

So, mom's when do you make the transition? I have a 3-year old boy who is 32 lbs and about 38 inches tall. When is it recommended to make the switch to a booster seat?

The britax marathon has the capability to keep the kids in a 5 point harness from 20-65 lbs which is longer than most other carseats. I have my 2 year old in there now. And my 4 yo son is in the britax frontier which also keeps them in a 5 point harness much longer (25-80lbs), then in a booster until 100.
Both kids are very happy with the seats. My son loves the armrests that go up and down and the cupholders. The only con for the frontier is if you have captain seats (I have a toyota sienna) the seat feels like it wiggles a bit where the Marathon feels rock solid when installed. I had the police install both for my so I know it was done right but I'd feel better if I didn't feel as much wiggle with the frontier.

(There was a similar question on 5/25/10)

General rule: Rear facing car seat / infant car seat until 1 year old and 20 lbs. Car seat until 40 lbs. Booster seat until 8 years old and 80 lbs.

Here's a link that says, in California, the child has to be at least 40 lbs before moving to a booster: http://www.chp.ca.gov/community/pdf/4_steps_for_kids.pdf

(By the way, my daughter is 4 years old, 35 lbs and 39 inches tall... She may be 5 before she's 40 lbs.)

He should be in a five point harness until he is at least 4 years old and 40lbs. Then you can make the switch when you want to, but there's no reason to do it before he actually outgrows whatever carseat he's in. Read the information on his carseat. If it can harness beyond 40lbs, leave him harnessed, it's way safer.

My son is in a Nautilus which harnesses to 65lbs. The harnesses are no hassle at all... he can do them himself... but they keep him in a better precrash position than a booster (which he does use when he visits his dad or my parents).

HTH

the best thing is to contact the police department and ask them what the laws are where you live. Every state has different laws, and you want to make sure you follow the laws of your state first and THEN go to the recommendations by the car seat company. Example in michigan an infant has to be rear facing until 1 year AND 20 lbs, but in Illinois, (where i visit often), they only have to be 20 lbs and 6 months.

It is safest to keep them in the 5 point harness as long as possible. If your seat allows your kids to stay in the 5 point, i would do that. i purchased a carseat/booster, that will keep my daughter in the seat until she is 100lbs. And she will be in the 5 point as long as she can use it.

I had my son in a booster seat after he turned 4. I now just moved him back to a 5 point harness car seat. He is more comfortable in his new seat, especially when he falls asleep. KyleDavidMiller.org is why I won't use the booster seat any more.

I would keep him in a harness as long as you can. Much safer.

he is BARELY at the manufacturer height/weight recommendation(30lbs and 36inches typically)... but, honestly, he is VERY young and small to make the switch(most car seat safety experts recommend a MINIMUM of 4 years old and 40 lbs). i didn't allow my oldest to ride in a booster until he turned 7! he was in a britax regent until then, which has now been passed down to my 4yo until he is 7. my son is on the tall side for a 7 year old and still had PLENTY of room in the regent. a booster can be absolutely fatal in a rollover collision, i'd wait as long as possible. good luck!

My tall and big 5.5 year old is in a britax frontier, which will keep her in a five point harness (safest by far!) to 85 lbs then is a belt positioning booster to 100lbs. I think it does start at 40lbs though. Before that and until our youngest needed it, she was in a britax marathon which goes to 65lbs! Google kyledavidmiller for more info on why 5points are safest. We looked at all the seats and tried them at babies r us and used the frequent 20%off coupon or got great deals also at www.Albeebaby.com Good luck!

1 / 3