Toddler Wetting Bed

My son is 3 1/2 .He is great about the potty during the day and he used to never wet the bed.Now he has wet the bed the last 3 days in a row.What causes this ad what can I do? I don't want him to get comfortable wearing diapers and peeing in them at night again, any advice???

Sometimes it happens. Either get used to washing sheets everyday, or put night time pants on him. He is only 3 1/2. My 5 1/2 year old still wets the bed sometimes. (usually when I do not have a diaper on him) I wet the bed until I was 9.
C. J

I could kick myself for not remembering exactly what I have heard, but you can google bedwetting and see what pops up. One of my sons did this too and it didn't last long. I have heard that it can be caused from a blatter infection, constipation and bad dreams. Also, you could stop giving him drinks by 7:00

My son is almost 4 and he still does this every now and then. It is usually when we get off schedule, let him drink too much before bedtime or forget to make him 'empty' before bed. I don't think you should put him in pull ups unless he has a serious problem. You want him to be uncomfortable when it happens. I have a waterproof pad under his sheet with another sheet under it (don't have to totally remake the bed when it happens). Good luck!

Well, I have a 6 year old that is still wearing pull ups at night. Take it from me....this is NOT A BIG DEAL. My 4 year old has no problems at night at all. Your son is obviously sleeping REALLY hard and can't get the cues from his body when he's tired. This may seem like a tragedy right now, but the more of a big deal you make it, he will be ashamed. So, my advice....get some pull ups and he will grow out of this!!

SAHM of 4 boys.

Hi A..
Make sure that he does not have anything to drink at least a couple of hours before going to bed and then make sure he uses the restroom right before bed.
If he does not go, then you may have to get him up during the night and taking him to use the restroom. We do this with my 2 1/2 yr old and it works really well.

No liquids, ice cream or popsicle too close to bed time. and He may be having scary dreams. Buy some puddle pads(around the adult diaper section) and put one under him so he doesn't have to wear a diaper, you don't want to start that again. All kids have accidents. This is just a phase. If it seems to be more than that, talk to your pediatrician.

Is his room to cold. They tend to be lazy to get out of bed to potty. Make sure the potty area is lit up for them to see. Apriase them.

Monitor what he drinks, sodas, high sugar juices all make me have to go more than normal. Prehaps stop the liquids at an early time. Also I think it is 5 yrs of age that the bladder is actually fully developed so accidents might occur but three nights in a row dosent seem like an accident. Prehaps he is playing too hard in on these fun summer days and is too tired?? Best of luck to you.

Make sure you have a mattress protector and plenty of extra sheets and blankets to transition to easily during the night. My son would change clothes and then sleep on the floor until I could change his sheets. That was his own doing and was fine with me.

C. J

A lot of things could be happening, and it would be hard to try to diagnose without more info.
Is he drinking anything AN HOUR before he goes to bed? If so, stop. Always have him try to go to the bathroom just before he climbs into bed. If there is a father around, have him do this and talk about holding it in and then trying to go again. (He could be holding some back).
Has there been a change in routine? This too, would cause problems with bed wetting.
If neither of these seem to help, I would recommend setting an alarm clock at a certain time for him to go to the bathroom.
Best wishes! (Oh, and put a special mattress cover on the bed so the leaking doesn't go through.) :-)

Try limiting the amount of liquids he takes in before bedtime and keep using the pullups. Be consistent. Celebrate each morning he wakes up dry!

My son was very easy to potty train. He even was sleeping in underwear at age 3, with minimal accidents. However, due to health changes..at age 5 he started wetting the bed most nights. I put him in a diaper and he started getting more frequent with wetting. So I bought a shower liner and put it under his sheets. This caused a puddle since it was not absorbed by the mattress protector. It took about 2 episodes to break him. He didn't like waking in the puddle of pee.

Hi A.,,
what has happened or changed in the last 3 or 4 days ,,what ever it is or was is your answer
good luck L.

We had the same problem with our 3.5 yo... only it went on for a few weeks! There hadn't been any changesin routine, we had finally figured out not to let him drink for a certain period before bedtime, and we tried everything- including making him help with taking the sheets off & washing them so he could understand the nasty mess! Definitely make sure you have a mattress protector.

Finally we figured out that he'd been getting up & getting drinks in the middle of the night, so we locked the water dispenser & put the milk up where he couldn't reach it. We also started a potty chart with one of those big desk calendars. We hung it on the wall in the kitchen & each morning he gets up dry, he gets to put a sticker on that date. It teaches him about reading a calendar, the passage of time, and gives him a reward system that he gets so excited about. He actually tells me when he comes to find me in the morning (my hubby wakes him up) that he got up dry that day & is so proud of himself! =O)

Hope this helps... Best of luck!

Be sure and put your son on the potty at night before he goes to bed even if he says he doesn't need to go. I did this with my daughter and told her "Sometimes it surprises you. You don't think you have to go, but once you sit on the toilet, you really do." I didn't make a huge deal out of it and almost always she went. Sometimes kids sleep extra hard and go in the middle of the night and don't realize what has happened. Don't go back to diapers. One of my friends would put the waterproof mattress protector on the outside of her daughter's sheets so she wouldn't have to change the whole bed if she did have an accident. Good Luck!

My DD did that too - 2 days in a row. Same age as your son and has not any bed accidents before. I don't know exactly what caused it. She has not had any accidents since. The only cause I can figure is that may be she ate salty food during that time and needed to go more than usual. But I did buy a mattress cover, just in case!