Toddler Tummy Ache Remedy?

Hello Mommies! Does anyone have a good tummy ache remedy for a toddler? My 19mo old daughter had her first tummy ache tonight at bed time, and I searched all over the web for answers, only to have to lay her down w/ no solution :( I did read that laying on her stomach should help, and she did fall asleep easily, so I'm thinking it didn't hurt too bad(this time) I found tons of articles on causes, and a couple recipes for concoctions that I didn't have ingredients for. I'm assuming the tummy ache was from something she ate, she was pointing to the middle of her stomach. I know when my stomach hurts, I reach for the tums or gas-X, but what can we give a little one to soothe that aching tummy?? I want to be prepared for the next time. Thank you in advance!

Mylecon is the "brand" name, but the active ingredient is simethicone. The store brands have a generic version that is half the price. It works for gas quite well.

Tums is safe every once in a while actually. there are even toddler tums I think, but the adult kind are fine. I gave my little one them at that age- there are smooth dissolve ones but I just bought bulk store brand and broke the tablet into 4 pieces- he thought it was like candy...also mylanta is safe for even newborns- give a teaspoon & try to find the mylanta w/o any aluminum in it- it's mylanta cherry supreme- sometimes hard to find but even a store brand kind just check ingredients for no aluminum listed

We used something called Gripe Water for our son. You can find it at health/natural food stores. All natural ingredients, safe enough for newborns and works really well. I even used it myself to deal with stomach issues during pregnancy.

my daughter complains of stomach aches when she has to poop. usually, she will start eating and then complain. She will complain off and on until she poops. I don't know if that is the case with your daughter.

Also, I know that chamomile tea helps sooth my tummy. My 2.5 year old daughter drinks it, because she loves it. I've been giving it to her since she was little. I just prepare it normally, then put in in a sippy cup with enough ice to make it just a little warm, and she guzzles it down. Maybe it will help your little one. Chamomile is also in gripe water that could possibly help her.

When my daughter was younger Mylecon was a life saver. She had a sensitive stomach. She grew out of it, but I like to keep remedies around that house. She does still complain of tummy aches from time to time, but mostly it's because she needs to go poopie.
I found children's pepto for ages 2-up. I also remember seeing something else on the shelf next to it for upset and full tummies. I just can't remember the name. The pepto wasn't with the children's meds. So make sure you look with the adult pepto.
There are also home remedies : mint, chamomile, ginger (ginger ale, ginger snaps anything that lists ginger as a main ingredient) even coke- but I don't really use that because of the sugar and caffeine.

God Bless
H.

I use warm cup of milk to help soothe the tummy! Plus tummy kisses! If it is gas, I have and still use Mylanta. It doesn't hurt their little tummies! Good luck and I hope your angel feels better!
Kathy N.

I used either Mylicon if it seemed like gas or Baby's Bliss Gripe Water. Sometimes a little warm water with cumin in it helps, if they'll take it, or warm milk. Good luck! It stinks when they're not feeling well!

I guess it's possible that your daughter's tummy ache is more than gas, but most of the time it's probably just gas. I can tell with my daughter, because sometimes she'll complain that her belly hurts and I can see that it's all distended. They make gas-x strips for children - they're like the little listerine strips that melt on your tongue. My daughter likes them and sometimes insists she needs belly medicine even when I don't think there's anything wrong. Now, I'm not one to run to give meds, and I prefer to find more natural solutions, but I even checked with Naomi's doctor, who said that gas-x is so harmless and non-medicinal that she wouldn't even be concerned if I gave her the adults strips, even up to 1 or 2 a day (the dosage for adults is 2-6 strips). We don't use them anywhere near that often............but it's a very safe option, if it works for you. My little girl is 28 months.

1 / 3