Tip a Hairdresser That Works from Home?

Hi Moms,

My friends and I go back and forth about this, so I wanted others opinions......

My son's friends mom is a hairdresser and works from home.. She has her own little room in her house set up for everything.. She has no overhead but does pay for her own coloring supplies.....

My son gets his hair cut with her and I tip.. She charges 10, I give 15.... Now my neighbor just went to her and didn't tip her. She said she works from home and you don't need to tip.. My mom thinks the same way and agrees on not tipping because she makes ALL the money...

What is your opinion on this?????

Thanks moms!!! That's my opinion also~ I will relay your responses as well :0)

It does not matter if she is working from HER house or located in a salon of any kind.

She is providing a service and she deserves a tip. I would never consider not tipping.

You are still tipping for a service, not a location, so it doesn't really matter where she conducts her business.

I would tip. She still has expenses, and I'm assuming that utilities are higher because of the salon, at least her water bill. Plus the expenses of supplies. I probably wouldn't tip her as much as if worked out of a salon. For my daughter, I end up spending close to $20 a haircut at the salon, so to get one for $15 is a bargain.

Tipping is still expected for any hairdresser...home business or not...

She DOES have overhead...Business license, taxes, cleaning supplies, utilities, water, supplies for cutting hair, such as combs, brushes, scissors, coloring supplies, rollers, hairdryer, curling irons...etc.

For anyone who DOES NOT tip an at home hairdresser, they are just being rude--

I had a hairdresser once who started working out of her home and I still tipped. I didn't see it as anything different that rewarding a good job at a salon. She still has expenses running a business out of the house.

Your neighbor is cheap...You should always tip. She has bills to pay just like a hairdresser who works in a salon, plus the salons person charges more than someone who works from home. The extra money you pay is what the salon gets, so it is about the same really...I used to go to a salon and pay $50 for a lousy cut and didn't even get a blow dry. Now I pay $30 to my in-home hairdresser and she cuts perfectly, and blow drys for nothing extra...I always tip!!

My SIL used to do this and not only did I pay her a fair price I tipped her aswell. She was always trying to tell me no but I did it anyway. She had to pay insurance, taxes, license fees and also for her time and talent.

When I lived in CA my hairstylist had an in home studio just for herself. She was amazing and cheap too! I would always tip. I can't imagine not tipping

1 / 3