How Much to Tip for a Haircut

Okay, it's embarrassing, but I've never really known. I hardly ever get my hair cut, and I just don't know how much to tip. Usually I do $5, or if it's a cheap one or I don't like it, I'll just round up to the nearest $5 (at least $3)... Am I stiffing them? I am going to get my haircut by an acquaintance, and I hate to come off as ridiculous. What do YOU tip??

Thanks for all the advice, I feel a bit better knowing what people tend to tip. I feel more confident going in there. Thanks!

I used to do hair also but, I worked in a barber shop so it was usually 5 min haircuts that I was doing SO, I would say you should tip about $4 or $5 if it is just a haircut. If it is haircut and color services or other services then I would say $10 or so depending on how much time was involved and any other factors (i.e. they squeezed you in at the last minute, spent extra time showing you how to style it, etc). Hope this helps! :)
Roxanna

I tip $5 on a $35 hair cut. I have a great hairdresser that I love to death but I do have a hard time forking over another $5 when the cut is $35 and she told me she was raising her rates again soon. If I were rich I would love to tip a lot more but $40 a haircut, even just when trimming it, it not something I can explain to the hubby very well. I have to go longer (3-4 months)in between haircuts to justify it. Then it only works out to be $120-$160 a year.

Wow I did not realize it was expected to leave a tip for haircuts. I usually gave 1 or 2.00 as I can barely afford the haircut to begin with and my hair grows so fast it is needed about every 6 weeks but usually let it go 3-4 months because I get the boys haircuts more often and hubby has his cut at least once a month now that he can have it a little longer than the military cuts he had to have every 2 weeks. When I need mine cut we don't have the money for mine so I trim my bangs a few times before I actually get a haircut.

As a person that has been in the service industry (bartender, waitress, barista, etc.), I am glad you asked! Thank you! I always tip for any service done for me, and tip more when I feel it is deserved.

Here are a few links that help decipher how much to tip, and to whom:

http://www.tip20.com/div/con/
http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2006/10/12/basic-tips-o...
http://www.findalink.net/tippingetiquette.php
http://www.lifescript.com/channels/healthy_living/Life_Ti... (esp. page 5)
Here's a great video with a bit of humor: http://www.onnetworks.com/videos/proper-ollie/salon-tippi...

Thanks for asking! I had to educate a boyfriend once that 10% is only enough for poor service, and $1 per person in a restaraunt for a large party wasn't enough either! (We had a party of 8, the bill was around $75, we had exceptional service, and he was going to leave $8! I told him he had better double that or I would be embarassed and would leave the rest myself!)

I did hair for 5 years before staying home with Emme and the average was about 15-20%. Granted, I worked at a nicer salon so it may be different. But, again, that was the norm. I'd say $5 for sure, and if you're happy with it, a little more.

Roxanna

I am a non practicing licensed Cosmetologist. So here is what we thought when I was practicing hair and I did hair in 2002-2003 and then for a while in 2005. It depends on what you are having done, and where you are going and how good a job they did. I worked at Great Clips, our hair cuts were $13. We felt like $3 was a good average for just a hair cut. $5 we felt like the person thought we did a good job and they would probably come back to us. We especially liked when people had coupons for like a $5 or $7 hair cut and then gave us a $6 tip so they still saved money and we got a better tip. Now $1 and $2 tips had us wondering what we did wrong. I also know that if we did a shampoo, I always did a scalp massage with my shampoos to try and get just a little extra tip, it is very relaxing for the customer and really not supposed to be included in a shampoo. Generally 20% works for a good minimum. Also if you ever get like a perm, color or a style you should tip a little more especially if you like it, because something people don't take into consideration is that those services generally take about the same amount of time as 3 or 4 hair cuts, which at $3 to $5 a hair cut in tips you could have made, if some one gets a $30 or $40 service and tips you $10 it is a bit disappointing even though it seems like a nice tip. Those services are a lot harder on a stylist and like I said even with a $10 tip it still probably cost the stylist a bit of money. You mentioned that the person cutting your hair is an acquaintance, are they doing this at a discounted price, if so and you like the hair cut, you should make up the difference and tip them but still save money. If you don't like the hair cut and this goes for anyone who reads this please tell the person and try and do a good job of explaining what you want before you get started to avoid a bad hair cut. I know there are stylists that just don't listen trust me I've had some, but sometimes we would cut someones hair, and it happened to everyone, and they would act like they liked it or seem happy, tip us well, and then we would never see them again. That just leaves you wondering I wonder what happened to that nice person that tipped me $7 last month. You can also ask the person if they do booth rental or work on commission or if they are hourly, because it does make a huge difference in how much they take home. Commission based usually take home between 30 and 50% of the cost of the service sometimes more, booth rental always confused me so I am not sure how that works, but places like Great Clips and Fantastic Sam's the stylist only makes like $8 or $9 an hour and then a very very small commission on products and if they are super fast and do haircuts in under 15 minutes they get a small productivity bonus, but the time is averaged out over a week and with all the down time very few people actually get that bonus. That one always made me mad part of the reason I don't do hair any more I was trying so hard to be fast I tore ligiments in my neck and shoulder and can't practice any more. Sorry so long. Just a subject near and dear to me and anything is better than nothing because I don't care what anyone says nothing feels like an insult, and really makes you want to ask the person what they didn't like about you or their hair cut. Good luck! Hope it goes well.

i usually tip $1 for every $5 of the cost. same with restaraunts.

I never know on this either, I do the same between $3-$5.

I do 15-20 percent like if I was tipping a waiter or waitress.

1 / 3