Thoma Train Sets

I have 3 boys - ages 9 years, 2.5 years, & 1 year. While at a toy store recently they all had fun playing with a Thomas the train display. I think it was 2 or 3 sets together on a large table. The display did it's job since it put the idea in my head for getting a set up like that for the play room in our home. Thomas sets are sooo expensive. There are some for sale on craigslist but even they can be a little pricey. My question is how long would mom's who have invested in all the sets say their child's interest lasted? Is it something they enjoyed for years or after the first day or 2 did it become just another mess in the toy box?

We got smy son a train table with tracks and some buildings at Costso when he was three years old. You can get Thomas stuff at AC Moore a little at a time using the 40% off coupon in the paper each week. He is now seven and still plays with it although not as often as when he first got it. And when kids come over, that is what they gravitate to. So, in other words, I think it is worth it.

We have a Melissa & Doug set (less expensive than Thomas -- $100 for a huge set of tracks and trains). We also had my father build a simple train table out of plywood. You can also look at garage sales for tables. Both my boys start and end their days at that train table - they love it.

My youngest daughter was actually a HUGE Thomas fan. I couldn't afford all the Thomas sets, I wanted to get her the train table and the whole set-up also. Around Christmas time, I found a generic train table with a huge set-up of tracks for $100 at BJ's. My husband and I got her that and all her Thomas trains fit on the track. She used it for a couple of months before she lost interest in it. But it was definately worth looking around for a cheaper version.

We used our Thomas train table for YEARS! First we had all of the track and almost every Thomas train. They played with those for a LONG time. However, even after the Thomas phase was over, my kids used it for Pokemon battles and other phases! It was built to last and, even after years of play, it was in good enough condition for us to pass along to another family - who also loved it!

The trains are definitely pricey, but they are made well and are a wholesome and fun way for the kids to use their imagination. I have very fond memories of it all.

I'd say GO FOR IT! :)

I got the Imaginarium brand train set for my son and he loved it! Very similar. If your boys are really into "Thomas" though you could get a few pieces and add to the other train set. They are interchangeable. I also know that AC Moore carry pieces to Thomas and when they got on sale it is usually 40% off and then you can get a coupon to put towards it as well and get it for more than half off. My girlfriend does this often for her two boys because they love Thomas.
Hope this helps! Good luck.

I purchased the set for my boys...we have had it for almost 3 yrs...they don't get sick of it!!!...the only issue is that we keep adding pieces (more tracks, bridges, buildings) to make the track even bigger and better and it no longer fits on the table...so it lives on the floor...also...just an FYI...the toys r us brand (imaginarium...is a little less expensive and works with the Thomas pieces so they are interchangable)
It truely is a great investment.
good luck.

HI R., My daughter just turned 3 on Aug 5 and has loved Thomas for 2 years. We even bought her the bedding this year for her bedroom. She plays with her trains almost everyday. We have a hard time getting her a way. SO good luck on getting them started.
I guess my point is you have 2 younger boys so u should get your money's worth out of it.

PS We bought her a train set from Toys "R" Us for $160 if you don't get one off craigslist.

hi R.
my son is 3yo, he started watching & playing with just a couple of Thomas trains at about 10mo --- he absolutely loves his Thomas sets & train table. we got it on sale at Toys r us day after thanksgiving --- we got the "imaginarium set" fits ALL Thomas trains. He still loves it, plays there for about 1hr at the time, morning & nite! love it & well worth the investment! good luck

1 / 3