Teething in 18 Month Old

My 18 month old is teething, getting molars. HELP ME :) He doesn't seem to want to chew on teething rings and things anymore so I am trying things like pear slices and today I will go out and get cucumber? I am thinking that might be soothing to him? I hate giving him Tylenol and Motrin all the time, will also try the Hylands tablets again. But really why I am writing, you hear so much about the teeth when they are little but not toddlers. The kid is in pain, did everyone else go through this? Teething with a toddler is a completely different ballgame I am finding.

You should try cucumbers.... my youngest son is 18 months and getting 4 teeth in at the same time right now and loves cucumbers. I put them in the feezer for about 15 minutes and then he goes to town eating them. I think it helps! Good luck!

Try frozen or partly thawed vegetables (i.e. bags of mixed frozen veg, peas, etc). They make a great healthy snack, and soothe the sore bits.

The teething tablets always worked well for us. Maybe a cold smoothie would help take the edge off?

My son is 15 months old and he is now getting what looks to be his molar also and he has been sucking on an ice cube in a wash cloth for a long time now, he loves it. It it cold and refreshing for the gums. I have a daycare and a 7 month old who has just gotten his first tooth and his mom told me he likes to chew on a celery stick or I give him a sippy cup that has a rubber nipple he just chews on it now and the teething rings his mom is a pharmacist and doesnt want to give her children medication either so you just have to find what works. As for me I say if your child is really crabby and in really bad pain any of these suggestions will only help for a very brief period of time until the tooth completly breaks through the gums so giving mortin isnt going to hurt every so often. Mortin works beeter in my eyes then tylenol for my son. But try different things to see what will help anything that has been cold or in the freezer is a good option. Good luck, my son also at 15 months only has now going on 3rd tooth, he is very slow at getting his so we have just barely started.

We, too, have a teething toddler. She is 13 months old and has just recently popped her top two teeth out - a mouthful to go! She is in some discomfort - I think - 24/7. I have chosen to not medicate her - at all. We do offer cold chew toys and a LOT of distractions. She occasionally has difficulty sleeping - so that is our hang-up. I know it will pass - but it is so difficult to watch them suffer - at all. One thing that we've done is radically change our diets. We eat very nutritionally balanced foods - incorporating superfoods as possible. An awesome result - much less inflammation in so many aspects of our lives. For instance - our three year old is teething in those back molars. She has red cheeks - but no complaints whatsoever! She is trucking along getting them in - and tells me they don't hurt her. My son's allergies - gone - and my migraines - gone. Truly an inflammation issue on all counts - so perhaps trying a nutritional approach - such as visiting with a natural foods person - or a health coach - just to see if they have any recommendations... worth a try -

There are some items made by "Munchkin" that have a handle (small enough for little hands) on one end and a net compartment on the other end in which you can put fresh fruit or ice. I used them when my triplets were teething...I put ice in them and they sucked and chewed on them and they liked the coldness of the ice. It helped with teething pain. Good luck!

At walmart and target they have things that have a plastic loop handle and mesh at the other end. You can put fruit in them for Babies. I put ice cubes in them when my little girls teeth hurt, and she chews on them. Now when her teeth hurt she asks for ice.

We dispensed baby Orajel onto a baby toothbrush and let the kids chew away on it.
Popscicles/Icee's are messy but they work too.
I agree with Lori B.-get a Munchkin mesh feeder. If you are giving your child food slices this will reduce risk of choking. It's ideal for fruits, veggies, and meats and the handle doubles as a teether too.

You could try giving him yogurt tubes that have been frozen. They then work like "freezie-squeezies," only much better for them. I personally prefer Stoneyfield Farm's YoKids, but there are lots out there (like Go-Gurt). The shape and ice-coldness might help soothe those back gums. Good luck...teething is one of those things I can't wait to be done with!

1 / 3