Talking - Jackson,MI

My son is 19 mos old. He babbles but is not talking like a lot of the other kids his age. He's never really had to talk, everyone does everything for him. My other son who is 7 started talking before he was 1. I just wonder if there is anything that I can do to encourage him to start talking. Any help would be great!!! He just whines now and it's not helping any one!

My brother did not talk untill he was about three. But my oldest brother was probably 7 too when my other brother was that age. So Bryan would talk for Bobby so he really never had to when he had my brother and he was very shy. They all talk when they want to. My son talk very early. I have read books to him everyday since he was an infant. I have my finger follow the words and i will stop and have him say words with me. I would not worry. My one friend her son is a little younger then mine and he does not speak many words yet. So they all are different. I would not worry. Good luck!

If you are worried about your son's speech skills...get it evaluated by a certified speech pathologist (SLP). Don't brush off your concern about your son not verbalizing (even if everyone else does - I encountered LOTS of resistance from everybody when I said my son had a problem and I wanted him evaluated). This speech evaluation can be done for FREE through early on of MI (the organization helps with birth through 3 year olds). Contact them by calling 1-800-earlyon. You could also get an evaluation through your local school district - tell them you want an IEP (Individual Education Plan). If your son is behind in her speech development, you can get therapy for her for FREE. My son had NO speech at the age of 2 (he could not even say 'mama' or 'dada'). He only pointed and whined / grunted or cried / screamed to try and express his needs. Since we had already tested his hearing previously, we had his speech evaluated through Early On of Michigan (1-800-earlyon) and also our school district - BOTH recommended speech therapy, with sign language as a more immediate resolution. Once my son and I learned a couple of signs and he was able to express his needs: cookie, drink, go potty, etc - his whining was greatly reduced! The signs were very easy for both of us to learn, and we used them succesfully for about a year. By the end of one year of speech therapy (provided FREE from the school district), he was talking to communicate his needs, instead of signing. His attitude and behaviour has only continued to improve. One of the things the SLP recommended was to have my son try to verbalize (any sound) with the sign for the item he wants and then I repeat 'Oh, you would like a drink?'. Typically, by age 2 your child can use individual words and by age 3, your child ought to be able to put togeter 3-4 words in sentences. Talk with your pediatrician about speech development to see if that might be part of the problem. Contact early on, or even the county, to see what type of family services and counseling are available. There is a lot of free help out there - you just have to dig to find it! Good luck.

I absolutely agree with what Brenda said. Everyone told me to give it time, all children develop at their own stage. When my son was 2, his doctor told me that we should have him tested through Early-on. The counselors at Early-on said that I have a very very good pediatrician because she sent us so early. They said that most doc's will tell you to wait until age 3, but like in my son's case it was better to start early. He has made remarkable strides, but he still has a long way to go. I highly recommend getting your son checked out (especially if your husband had any type of delay-which I have learned usually is inherited from the father). My husband had a speech problem, so he never talked. To this day, he is extremely shy and he says that is because as a child, everytime he started talking, the kids would make fun of him. Back in those days, he didn't start any type of therapy until he was in Kindergarten. It was 8th grade before he could say his own name (Carl). So, bottom line, to put your mind at ease, go for the FREE evaluation and see what happens. Also, because my son is part of the program, he now goes to preschool geared for children with speech/language problems 5 days a week. The bus picks him up at 8:00 and drops him off at noon....all for free! It is amazing what he has learned. If you have anymore questions, e-mail me. :)

My daughter is 2 1/2, and she said alittle bit at 18 months. BUT she really took off @ her second birthday. If your still concern at her 2 year check up, just ask the doctor for their opion.they may send her to be evaluated! hang in there!

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'm sure he will start talking when he's ready but keep encouraging him to say words for the things he wants. Be consistant ask him to say milk when you give him his cup even if he doesn't say it he will still be connecting the word with the item. Do this with everything. I always ask my daughter to "tell mommy what you want" when she starts whining for somethhing and usually she wil try to say the word especially if I say it first. I'm sure it won't be long before he is talking your ear off and you want him to just be quiet.

Hi B.,

My son is 22 mos. old and only says a few words. He loves the movie Cars and his favorite word is "cars." Everything he says is either "cars" or "goo bus" (for school bus). I've found that if I read to him though, he will say the words as I read them to him. I'm grateful he doesn't say much right now, because one day he'll start talking and won't stop. I also have a 12 year old who I had in daycare since she was a year old, and it took her some time to talk as well (she started talking at 2 years of age and since then, she talks too much). Give it time.

MC

My son is 15 months and only says "hi". I have asked his Dr about it, and he says it is perfectly normal. All children develop at different rates. Your son probably knows a lot of words, but your older son speaks for him. I wouldn't worry about it unless your son doesn't follow simple directions, doesn't seem to understand you when you talk to him, or doesn't seem to be able to hear very well. You can always ask your son's Dr. if you are concerned. One day he will probably start talking like he has been doing it for months. Good luck!

I agree with the others when they advise you to remember that each child develops at his/her own rate, so you probably have nothing to worry about. With my girls, I taught them sign language so that when they could not yet say the words verbally, they could still tell me what they wanted so that they didn't need to whine or get frustrated. My oldest signed until she was 2 and then just started talking in complete sentences very clearly. My second daughter didn't sign as much - she wanted to talk, but her words weren't as clear. All children are different!
Good luck, and remember, you're the mom - go with your instincts - if you're worried, check with your doctor.

hello B.
if someone eles always dose something for you you just don't do it and that the same thing for talking i would encourge him to talk for what he wants and if he dose not use his word to get it he dose not get it.now that we got all that out of the way did your son make all the other mile stone in his life if so i would play it off as he the baby and ever one give in to pointing and talking for him well good luck

1 / 3