Taking Away the Nuk

I have a 2 year old that is really attached to his "pukie" or nuk. Now I only give it to him at bed time and nap time but I would like to get rid of it all together. I have tried cutting the tip of it and it didn't even bother him at all. Any suggestions?

The only thing that I've seen to really work is to just not give it to him. He will cry about it for a day or two, but then it's over.

I would try to talk to him about being a big boy and only babies use pukies. Then you should take it away at nap time and eventually bedtime. It will be hard for him and you to adjust at first but think about his teeth and how important it is to get rid of it. I would say now is a good time because he will be a big brother soon.

Out of Sight out of Mind. I have 3 kids. my 2 boys really liked the bink and when they switched to a sippy cup I just threw away the bink at the same time I got rid of the bottles. It took a few days but after they realized they didn't need it they were completely happy. Now with my girl it will be very easy to get rid of it cause she doesn't use one. Try just hidding them or throwing them away when he is sleeping. He won't miss it

I have a couple friends who have used this technique with success which is why I used it too. Since you are expecting and you want to include your son in on the family excitement, pose it to him this way. He could give his pacifier to the baby as a special present when she arrives and then he can move into the role as big brother. Talk about how the baby will need one, and how it will help her feel secure (or whatever word he can relate to for this), how it will be extra special to her if he were to give her HIS pacifier. And then tell him when she is coming and start the countdown. We did this it was fun. My daughter thought it was so awesome to be the big sister who gave such a special gift to the little baby sister. And then she got a special stuffed animal to sleep with instead as a growing up gift. We also used this technique in the same time frame with getting her out of the crib into a big girl bed. She was so thrilled to give the baby a crib and a pacifier when she came home from the hospital that it was very little trouble for her to let go of them. She continues now to be a giving big sister too, because we started her relationship with her sister in a giving way. Hope this helps. It is certainly worth a try. Good luck.

Keep trimming it away. We had the same scenario... eventually there wasn't enough left and we had to throw it away "because it was broken". Just make sure he can't find the back-up nuks that are probably hidden around! :-)

Both of our girls were about 21 months when a new baby was born, and both were very attached to the nuk. We didn't want to get rid of it during a trying time with new baby in the house, so we waited. With #1, she got so whiny about the nuk that when she was about 2 1/2 we cut it, and she was crabby for a day and then it was gone. With #2, she lost it and so we just said it was gone, and she did fine. #3 is 3 months and a thumb sucker - I'm a bit more worried about that since we can't cut it off :)

Funny thing is, we were so relieved after we got rid of it...it really wasn't as big a deal as you think it will be or as people make it out to be. Good luck!

I have almost the same problem with my 29 month old daughter, except ours is the bottle. She also gets her bottle just at nap time (at home) and at bedtime. She is in a home day care for 8.5 hours a day and takes a good nap without the bottle there, however, on the weekends or at night she won't go to sleep without it. I have tried a couple of times however dad can't listen to her cry. I was talking to a co-worker about this and she said why take her off of it, it's just water, she isn't hurting anything she don't carry it around, why traumatize her, she will take her self off when she is ready. So I decided to give that a try and just smile when people ask me why she still has it. A little about me: I have three children, a boy 22, a girl 20, a stepson 16 a stepdaughter 9 and a girl 29 months. Let me know if you get any responses that work and I might have to give them a try otherwise I think I will just wait and see.
She is potty trained during the day, and hates wearing a diaper at night so that might just be my answer; however that won't work for the "nuk". Good luck

We tried bringing them to a baby cousin, but that didn't work for us. A friend put them in an envelope and mailed them to another baby who needed them.

For both of my children we had to go cold turkey. One weekend my daughter couldn't find hers, so instead of looking we told her it was time to stop. Bedtime wasn't fun and the time out the next day was horrible, but by the time Monday came around she had totally forgotten about it. We went to the store and bought a stuffed animal that she could cuddle with instead.

A. - I noticed that you are expecting a daughter in September and I think the timing would be awful to try and wean your son from the nuk at this time. If he is just weaned and then sees his baby sister using one, he is going to want the nuk all over again and it will be a constant battle. The experience will be too fresh and he won't understand why she can have one and he can't. My daughter (now a 3yo, weaned from the nuk at 17 mos) was 26 mos when her baby sister was born. There were 9 months between the weaning and the birth, which was enough time for her to get over it. She has been great up until about a month ago when she started having jealousy issues and began babytalking, wanting the nuk again, etc. Her baby sister is now 10 months old and a total flirt. I believe my 3yo is doing this to get attention, and it will pass.

However, if you are dead set on weaning him now, my advice would have been to cut the tip, not off, but from top to bottom so that the tip can be opened like a curtain. You might be able to trick him this way, because it might look intact but won't function. He won't understand it and just toss it aside because he won't ge the same results. This worked wonders for my daughter at 17 months. You could also try dipping the tip into something very untasty, like vinegar. He may not want it anymore if he is unsatisfied with the new flavor. Good luck, and let me know if you have more questions. Hope this helps!

My son is almost 21 months old and very, very attached to his nuk day and night. He was getting it through out the day when he would cry and get crabby and in the car, naps and for bed but at times of course during the day he didnt have it but he had it a lot. But now for the last couple weeks or so I have taken it away from him during the day to only at night and his nap during the day I take it out of his mouth while he's sleeping so he wont wake up with it so that way its easier to get it from him when he wakes up. Hes not to the point of giving it up to me yet, but we'll get there. Im not to worried about getting rid of it all together yet but I was worried about getting it away from him during the day and he was crabby for awhile and would reach for it but got over it. Its like he doesnt miss it but once he's in his crib he know's he gets it and he sure reaches for it he cant say binky but I know what he means.
But as for getting rid of it while a new baby is coming may be hard for him if you give your new one a binky. As for starting anything new when a change is coming like a new baby or potty training ect... they can or will revert back to what to what your trying to change or do. So I would wait for awhile after the baby is here that is what I would do anyways. But whatever you choose to do good luck we will be there in time but for now where working on potty trainig..... L.

1 / 3