Swimming Lessons--should I Do Them Myself?

I was a swim instructor for 5 years and (obviously) want my two kids (5-1/2 and 8) to learn how to swim. However, I've heard that you can't teach your own kids to swim and just want to put them into swimming lessons. My husband thinks that I'm being lazy and "not wanting" to teach my own kids, but I don't want one more thing to discipline/push them on. What do you think?

I don't know about swimming, but take it from me, that is absolutely true with Piano lessons. I don't doubt it is the same for most other things as well.

I was a swim instructor for 15 years, and have 3 kids. All of my kids learned to swim from other people. Now that they are comfortable in the water, I coach them. I found that with me, they wanted me to be Mom, not teacher, and wanted to hang on me and not try someithing they found either frightening or intimidating. I think it depends very much on the child, and the reason you need to teach them. I taught my nephew when I was living with them, but we lived on a lake and it was an absolute neccessity that he learn to respect the water.

I do not think that laziness has anything at all to do with it, I have just found that my kids responded initially to someone else, and once they were comfortable in the water they were/are fine with me teaching them.

First of all, I think it's weird that in the last 5-10yrs it seems like all parents are expected to give their kids "swimming lessons"!!! I learned how to swim just fine without lessons. I swim with my kids and helped them out a bit with the logistics of swimming and then they started swimming on their own - well not quite my 5yr old yet, but she'll get it this summer. Just swim with them and have fun!!!!!

I've been teaching my own kids to swim (5 and 3) with success. I was a swim instructor when I was younger too. I find with my son he won't do what I tell him when I tell him but eventually he will give it a try on his own terms. He is a fish and loves the water so that helps. My daughter is following in his footsteps it seems and has no fear of the water. Just keep it fun and low key. I will just show them what to do and try and get them to do it. I do have my son signed up for a summer swim team that should help him improve his skills. Good luck!!

Give it a shot. If it is too frustrating for them, sign them up with someone else (and do it quickly before they think they don't like swimming). It is hard to teach anyone you are close to how to do anything new or difficult because emotions get in the way on all sides. they may take to it quickly and you may not have an issue.

We moms teach our kids to walk, talk, eat, read, write, count, tie thier shoes, drive a car, do algebra, swing a bat, play volleyball, sing.... I could go on and on. What could be so differant about swimming?

I certainly think you can teach your kids to swim, and no your not being lazy. I have found that with many things, kids will respond much better to someone else. I say give it a try. If it's not going well, then enroll them in a class.

U can teach your own kids to swim-I have a 4 1/2 yr old who has been swimming on her own( with me in the pool of course) without floaties or anything since 2 1/2 yrs old and I have a almost 3 1/2 yr old who swims on his own since last summer no floaties or anything. Now year to year it takes them a week or so to get back into feeling comfortable, but I taught them. L.:)

1 / 3