Summer

What do you do with your kids during the summer? I recently went back to work, after being a stay at home mom for 9 years. I am only working part time. I am trying to figure out what to do with my kids on the days I have to work. There arent any programs out where we live. I checked out the Y and their summer camps. I cant afford $1600 a month for their part time summer camps (that is insane.....I cant believe people actually pay that for 3 days a week) Just wondering what you all do?

When I was a kid my mom got a high school age babysitter (she worked 9-1 5 days a week). We sometimes got to do a week or 2 of camp for fun.

Since you are working part time, can you find a mom with kids who might swap with you? I used to do this with a friend, she had my child one day a week, I had hers once a week. We each had a free day and our girls got to play with eachother.

I hired one of my mom's students (she is a college professor) to come watch our kids. She has great references and has babysat for neighbors of mine as well. My kids will be 5, 7, and 9 - so they really need someone to make sure they don't burn the house down. We're also getting a pool pass so they can go swimming whenever they want.

Local daycares run summer camps so that is what we do. Another option may be boys and girls club or your local school's before/after care may have a camp as well.

Short of that, what about friends or family?

You'll probably have to hire a sitter if you don't have any camp programs. Maybe you can also trade with a friend one day - you take her kids one day and she can take yours another. That way, you only need to pay a sitter twice a week. There are plenty of college students who like nanny jobs in the summer.
Are you sure there is nothing offered through their school or through a local community center?

I used to use a college girl who came and took care of my kids part time. It was awesome! She would take them to the zoo, park, museum, ice cream, swimming, etc. Then she went and graduated, darn it. Needless to say, now days a friend of mine and I swap sitting and it works pretty good. I also found more work that I can do at night rather than during the day so my husband and I can swap some time. It is working out great!

I would hire someone to watch them. We have a 20 something girl who lives nearby and enjoys working as a nanny during the summer. Do you have any responsible college kids near you that are home for the summer? Or even a responsible high school student. They can take your kids to the pool or to a nearby park or on a hike if you have a trail near your house.

Yeah... one reason why summer has been cut in half (from 104 days / almost 15 weeks to 6 weeks or less) in many areas is that summertime many people purely work for daycare, or take a loss over the summer, so that they don't lose their jobs. For most of my motherhood career I haven't been able to afford to work. Daycare would cost more than I would make.

Camps, daycare, friends, and family are the only options out there unless you can take vacation, or take your children to work.

1 / 3