Stored Breastmilk

I am curious as to how long I can keep frozen breastmilk. I called our doc, and he said 8 weeks at the longest...but was told by a friend who is a peditrician- that it doesn't matter as long as it has remained frozen. I have a ton in storage, so if I had to get rid of any, I won't be "lost" but it will determine when I finish weaning my daughter.

I kept mine in those double sealed bags for storing milk for a year. I had read somewhere that is the longest you should keep it after the date pumped. It needs a good shaking after thaw, but other than that it was fine. I did this with both my sons. I weaned with it, I added it to cereal, I mixed it with cow milk etc.... for extra nutrients as they stopped breastfeeding. I would look on websites like la leche to see.

I wish doctors who don't know what they're talking about would keep their mouths shut, but I digress... La Leche League says 6 months is ideal and 12 months is acceptable ( http://www.llli.org/FAQ/milkstorage.html ) Please mention this to your doctor mext time you see him so he won't continue giving out bad info.

I used my frozen breast milk until a year from the date--I had my daughter in the NICU for 3 1/2 months due to pre-maturity so I had a ton. I used every bit off it!!! I mixed with fresh up until the year elapsed. I will do it again w/ baby #2 due in April.

Don't throw it away. I heard of a mom who made chocolate pudding with it and fed it to the family:) Get creative before you throw it out. And check the link to kellymom.com for great acurate info.

Hey A., in a deep freezer you can keep breast milk up to a year. 3-6 months in a separate fridge freezer. I had a bunch in storage when my son weaned and continued to feed it to him for months after he stopped the breast. Seriously, do NOT waste that milk. It is absolutely full of good things for your baby. You could end up with baby like mine who can't handle whole milk so we are buy 9-24 month formula for him for the last 7 months! Saved all that money nursing him and now we're still buying formula!!! Point is, keep it so you'll have it even after you/she choose to wean. Nothing wrong with giving it to her in bottle after her 1st b-day! Check the LeLeche web site for confirmation.

I am currently breastfeeding my 4th child and frequently freeze breastmilk due to working. According to Ameda -my breastpump booklet-fresh milk can be stored at room temp for 10 hours/refridge 8 days/refridge style freezer 3-4 months/deep freeze 6+ months. Thawed breastmilk can be kept at room temp 1 hour/refridge 24 hours and never refroze.

These are the guidelines I have been following and have never had any problems.

Blessings,

You can grab a copy of The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding to be sure, but I believe it's a rule of "3". 3 hours out in room temperature, 3 weeks in the fridge and either 3 or 6 months in the freezer. Could definitely be wrong, so would check the book.

1 / 3