Son's 4 Year Old Party?

My son attends preschool two afternoons a week, he's turning 4 next month. At preschool, they sing Happy Bday to the kids and celebrate with cupcakes or whatever a parent decides to bring in on the week of your child's bday, it's nice. If you decide to have a party, the school's policy is to invite all the kids in the class (15). It's a bit overwhelming for me to have this many kids plus their parents over for a party, and I'm not about to or really in the position right now to spend a ton of money on holding a party someplace outside of the home.

I really just want to have a small family party for him (that's what we've always done) and let him have cupcakes with his classmates at school. A lot of people have big parties for their 3 and 4 year old's so I'm feeling guilty/stressed about this. I really think he'll be just as happy with a family party. Any input on this? Thanks!

At his age, I think you're fine to have a small family party for him.
Just include his favorite things: decorations of his choice (a theme he
likes), balloons, maybe his favorite food or snacks to eat.
Maybe a pinata etc.
That kind of thing.

That is totally okay! He is 4, so until he asks you to personally invite specific friends or asks to have his party at a particular place, he will not care.

I agree-family birthay gatherings are the way to go! As they get older you will be spending a lot more time and money planning birthday parties! :)

My son just turned 4 and we did just the family party and cupcakes at school. I also felt guilty for not having the big party. My son was happy with what we did.
We have gone to other 4 year old party's and he loves going and has never even asked why we did't have a party like that. Hope this helps

Updated

Totally do it your way. Many people get wrapped up in the "over" celebrating way too early. He'll have fun at school with his friends and enjoy a small family party at home.

You have nothing to feel guilty over. As long as you celebrate and make him feel special, he will be happy. You don't need to have it at a special place or an invitee list a mile long to make it nice. My parents NEVER did big parties. Every year it was just family. And since we were military, most of the time it was immediate family. We had our traditions and our birthdays were always incredibly special.

If you decide to invite friends over, you are not obligated to invite the whole class. That rule generally applies to sending out invites during class. I never invite the whole class. I understand those school policies, but an entire class plus our other family and friends is entirely overwhelming. Plus, although my son gets along with everyone, there is a child or two he doesn't want to spend extra time with outside of school. I simply email or ask parents for a mailing address outside of class and send them that way. I usually mention to the parents that I am not inviting the whole class so they know. Our parties are always at home and rather simple affairs.

My opinion? He is four. A small family party as you have described is just fine at his age. I know it's easier said than done, but don't worry about what other people think/do. It sounds like a family party is what's right for YOUR family, so stop stressing and go with that. :) Best wishes.

Maybe a pinata etc.
That kind of thing.

Typically the daycare "rule" is that if you have a party and hand out invites at the school you have to invite all the kids. If you want to have a family party you can. If you want to invite just one or two of his "best" friends, you can do that...just don't hand out an invitation at the school.

Take cupcakes in for the class.

I think it is fine to have a family party and celebrate with cupcakes at school. No reason to feel guilty about this. There is plenty of time for him to have parties with friends when he gets older. I think most 4 year olds are happy as long as they celebrate in some fashion.

I think the big reason to have a party with the whole preschool is so you can meet parents and maybe set up future playdates.

If your son does have 1 or 2 friends you would like to invite, you can as long as you don't pass out invitations at school. School policies usually dictate to invite the whole class so feelings don't get hurt.

15 kids plus other friends and family is a lot. We had a party for my son at McDonald's and all the kids loved it. We had 13 kids total and it was 9 dollars a kids. BUT it was a beautiful McDonald's playland place. If your son's preschool allows to to bring cupcakes and he is ok with just a family party later on, then do that. It sounds like fun!

1 / 3