Snowsuit for 1 Year Old

I am looking for some advice on what snowsuit I should get for my 1 year old. two pieces vs 1 piece? polyester or down insulation?
This is my first baby.
Thanks

She'd been walking for a month now and she loves to play outside, so I am sure she will love to play in the snow, that is why I am trying to find the best snow suit for her...

Last winter I I bought my daughter a 1 piece snowsuit and also received a 2 piece bib style suit for a gift. I used the 1 piece suit only once! She was such a puff ball in it and was too warm to put it on then drive somewhere even a few minutes away. I opted for the 2 piece bibs all season because you could get the bibs on w/ a fleece or sweater and she'd be fine for a short car ride, then when you get where you're going just throw on the jacket and you're ready. Once in the 1 piece we went sledding, then I had to take off her boots to get the suit off just to get her in the car to go 6 minutes down the road....hassle. Go for the 2 piece, you'll get more use from it.

I found with my kids that the 2 pieces worked out better. I could use the jacket when we were going out and they wouldn't be in the cold too long like grocery shopping or going to grandma's. Then put them in both pieces when we did out door stuff. Also if it is a 1 piece you will still need a coat b/c if you do an out door activity and the bottoms are wet the whole suit need to dry but if it is 2 pieces you can still use the jacket. I didn't concern myself with the insulations just bought what I liked and thought was the warmest but easiest to move in. Didn't want the Christmas Story Kid!

Bibs and coat with hood. Gum around the wrists and ankles is nice. Boots.

Big snowsuits are useless until your child can walk, if they're outside it's usually between the house and the car seat. We got the Columbia Grandma Grabber, which is a fleece with a hood and covered hands as mittens when you need them. In the car, we just put a blanket on her legs. My daycare lady even said that's the best little kids coat she's ever seen since it dealt with the mittens. http://www.bobwards.com/products2.cfm/ID/4806/clearance/Y/

Is your baby walking? This makes a lot of difference. 2 pieces are easier for changing diapers but I think they leave room for the cold air to get in. I like the 1 piece suits better and we go with down.

I agree that you should look at the second hand baby stores...here where I am they have some called "Other Mothers" and "Once upon a child"...they outgrow them so fast and will only use them for 1 season, it is better to just try to find a less expensive gently used one, then to pay @$50 for something they are only gonna wear a few times...

Once piece. Keeps them warmer. Since about the age of 2 with my kids I have been able to purchase a snow suit (they do 2 piece now) a size bigger then they currently wear and have had them get two years out of it we always buy columbia and I prefer down. I did buy cheap snow pants once and they didn't even last my oldest the winter so I won't buy cheap ones ever again. The columbia I have been able to pass down and they still look new.

Last year I got my one year old a two piece with the bibbed overalls. The bibbed overalls keep the snow out when she was outside playing. Plus we were able to use just the jacket when we didn't need a full snowsuit.

Well, I think the real question is how much is your child going to be in the snow? I thought my 1 year old was going to LOVE the snow...she hated it. She hated it again last year...this year she says she's going to love it, but we'll see! ;)

If you're a very outdoorsy family and you think you'll be doing a lot of things in either the cold weather or snow then make it easy on yourself and get a two piece. BUT if you're just getting it to have and b/c you want to romp in the snow, etc. I say get a 1 piece. I think it keeps them warmer and lets less snow inside. You probably won't be out there long enough that you'll have to attend to a diaper change immediately!

I found that Target has snowsuits for like $15 and I thought that was pretty good. I also got one at Osh Kosh outlet and it was a snow suit and winter jacket for $18...maybe $22 I can't remember exactly. Looking in second hand stores is also a good idea!

1 / 3