Sleep Apnea/Snoring- 2 1/2 Year Old

Anyone with information on tonsils and adenoids being removed @ 2 1/2? I'm a little anxious/nervous, but know it needs to be done. My child snores as loud as a man and has episodes of sleep apnea. Then, because he is not sleeping well, we encounter behavioral prblems during the day. Help!?!?

My son had his Adenoidectomy and tubes placed in his ears when he was 1 1/2 yr old. He did really good with it. i tried to convince the ENT to take his tonsils out too, but he said he was to young. Anyways... My son no longer snores and has only had 1 ear infection since then and now hes 3. Just read about it because in some cases Adenoids do grow back. Good Luck!!!

Dr. James Toung with TEXAS ENT is great with children.

It sounds like you have a plan, but please do not let the sleep apnea continue. My dad, which has had sleep apnea for quite a number of years, has developed atrial fibrulation in his heart as a result. Not to worry you more, just more of an incentive to try to fix it now. If it does not improve after the tonsils are out, maybe you could look into getting a CPAP machine for him.

When I worked at Texas Children's Hospital we had numerous children in and out for Tonsil's and Adnoids. Find a good pedi-ent. Dr. Albright at TCH (Texas Ear Nose & Throat ###-###-####) is wonderful!

Please consult a reputable pediatric ENT as soon as possible. Sleep apnea is dangerous. Sound sleep is THE FOUNDATION for a healthy life--physically, mentally, emotionally, behaviorally, academically, socially, etc. Talk to the ENT about your concerns. You are wise to relate your child's behavioral issues with lack of sleep. Remember, lack of sleep is a health and safety concern. Tonsillitis = strep, which can damage the heart. Chronic ear infections can affect hearing, speech, and balance, which can impede academic performance and social skills. Your child could be at risk for accidents as well. My child had tonsils/adenoids removed, plus 3 sets of ear tubes put in by Dr. Sawyer in Austin, beginning at age 2. Good luck and follow your instincts. J., former OT in schools & hospitals

My daughter had her tonsils & adenoids removed and tubes put in her ears when she was barely 26 months old. We were nervous too (my husband more than me :p), but it all went really well and she was a new kid after the surgery.

Because of the size of her tonsils, she had to stay overnight. The toughest part was the time we had to spend in the surgery center. All of the medication was making her cranky.

When we arrived at home the next morning, you would never have known she had just had surgery! She was actually making me nervous! She didn't require any more pain medication. She never stopped eating (even chips and crackers- a no no). She ran around playing while I laid on the couch trying to recover from spending the night in a hospital bed with a 2 year old!

When we went to her 2 week check up, I told the doctor that if I hadn't been there to witness her at the surgery center, I would wonder if she'd had anything done to her! He laughed and said that babies heal so fast. Their bodies are new and healthy and recover so much better.

My nephew who is almost three just had his out and had some trouble wanting to eat and drink. It just depends. But don't be afraid of a little one going in. They'll take good care of him!

A.

Our daughter had the same issue. We video recorded her sleeping one night and it was frightening to watch due to sleep apnea and snoring. We had to wait for six months for her to turn 3 in order to have surgery, so we used a prescription Flonase for that time period. She had surgery the day after she turned 3. At the recommendation of our ENT doc, she stayed overnight at the hospital because she was so young. Her condition improved 100%! We also noticed a huge change in her "terrible two/terrible three" attitude. We think that is due to getting a good night's sleep.

Hello L.,

This is the best thing we ever did for our son. Good luck.

Hi L.. My daughter had hers removed at 2 1/2. It was like night and day. She had her surgery at the Children's Hospital in Austin and we stayed for 2 days because of her age. Her doc wanted to make sure that she didn't have any problems. She was just coming off of a round of strep throat. She is now 4 and hasn't had any more problems and the strep throat has stayed away. I was very nervous too but she sleeps better, is so much healthier and goes non-stop. Good luck to you!

-W.

my daughter was 3 when hers were removed..it was an out patiednt surgery performed in a clinic. She threw up blood a couple of times after the surgery (it is natural as it impossible to prevent a small amount from draining down their throat during the surgery itself) and then she spoke harsely for about a week after. The hardest part was getting her to stop talking through her nose. The natural alternative to regualr speaking when your throat is in pain..

Considering the alternative (the apnea, the snoring, the deep purple rings from lack of sleep, it was well worth it and she doesn't remember any of it today (she is 10 years old).

1 / 3