Simple/quick Meals for Late Evening Sports....

Just wondering if any of you out there have some quick and simple meals, or prepare ahead meals for those nights when the kiddos practices or games run later than normal. Baseball season has hit our house and my son's games sometimes run until around 7:00 PM. For us, that is a bit late for dinner, but at least its only one season! :) Any new ideas or recipies are appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Thanks so much for all of your ideas!!!! I was getting a little burnt out on the old standbys! All of your suggestions and ideas were truely appreciated!! Loved all the recipies that were given.....Thanks again!

My kids love this and its easy -

Tater Tot Casserole

1 lb of ground Turkey (or Beef)
2 small can of Cream of Mushroom(crm of chicken)or1 family size
1 Can of Corn or any veg that you like
Cheese
Regular size bag of Tater Tots

Preheat oven to what the tater tots should be cooked at
Set out you Tots so they can thaw

Brown your meat (drain grease if any), then throw the crm of mush, corn, and some cheese in skillet. Stir together until soup is runny.
Pour mixture in a casserole dish
Add tater tots on top
Cook for the suggested time of the Tots.
When tots are done - Add cheese to top and cook until cheese is melted.

Should take about 40 min for prep and cooking time

I'd throw my kids in the tub while casserole is cooking.

I also love crockpot meals, saves so much time! I'll give 2 recipes for chicken. Cheesy Italian chicken= Put chicken and 1 bottle of italian dressing (or cheesy itailian dressing) Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. Cook rice, and pour chicken over rice. That one is so simple but delicious! Another one put chicken and a can of chicken broth, can drained corn, can drained black beans, cook for same as above til done, put on tortillas with cheese, sour cream and other fav. taco toppings. Hope this helps! A.

We do Football season, and last season started with practices in August and we made it to playoff's-so it didn't end until mid November. I was also Team Mom for my son's team & helping the other Team Mom's, dealing with paperwork, etc. So, I was more involved-we wouldn't get home till 7:30 pm most nights. So-I feel your pain with dinner plans.
My Crockpot saved my life last football season. I bought a crockpot cookbook (there are several-Barnes and Noble has best selection). There are alot of different recipes for soups, taco meat, roasts, chicken, ribs, etc. Each family has different tastes, so you get to choose which recipes suit your family best. I would also make spagetti (I would cook the pasta, add the sauce to the pasta) or lasagna, cook it before practice, and then I would re-heat it in the microwave at dinnertime.
Here is a quick recipe for a soup that has always been a big hit with everyone I have given it too.

Chicken Verde Soup

2 cans of chicken breasts or 2 whole chicken breasts-cooked and shredded
1 Jar Salsa Verde (green salsa) LaVictoria is the best to use
1 small can Chicken Broth
1 15 oz can Corn w/liquid
2 15 oz cans White Beans (or Great Northern Beans) w/liquid
1 1/2 16oz containers of Sour Cream
Cilantro-chopped for garnish

Dump all ingredients into a pot, heat and stir. Cook until it starts to bubble-DO NOT BOIL. Serve with Cilantro and Corn Bread. Makes-alot.
*notes: Do not double this recipe until you have made it once. I don't use the canned chicken, I cook my own, it tastes better and is a better texture, but if you are in a pinch-use the canned. I cook (bake or boil) the chicken the day before if I know I'm having this soup the day after. You can adjust the Sour Cream-you can use more or less, I use 1 1/2 containers, I have had friends who use 1 or both. Do use LaVictoria, I have used alot of different brands, and LaVictoria is the best for this recipe. I'll dump all ingredients into a pot, stir it, and then put the pot in the fridge before practice, then take the pot out, put it on the stove, and it takes only 15-20 minutes for it to warm up. Do not put this in the Crockpot-it's best that this soup cooks until it's warm all the way through. I'll bake corn bread earlier in the day. The soup looks a little gross to some people, but it's really good, and kid friendly. My husband and I love it with the Cilantro-the kids don't like the Cilantro. When I serve this-everyone wants the recipe.

Married to the most patient,loving man in the world for 17 years. SAHM of 2 busy boys ages 12 and 6.

You have to have a day devoted to planning, shopping, and cooking, but if you can manage it, then try:
http://www.frugalmom.net/once_a_month_cooking.htm and
http://www.once-a-month-cookingworld.com/

And this site: http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/menuplanning.htm helps you plan out menus and shopping lists well in advance.

Good luck! :o)

K. W

I used to make Spanish Rice using Minute Rice. Just cook up some hamburger, drain it and add tomato sauce and cooked rice. If you have time you could fry onions with the meat. Season to taste. You can use any mexican seasoning. I hope
this helps. Maybe I can think of more later.B.

well i have to pass on the best recipe for a prepare ahead meal. Before you leave for work put all these ingredients in the crock pot and let it go..
CHICKEN HURRY(pork works too)
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup water
1/4 packed brown sugar
1 packet of onion soup mix
and either
3 pound of chicken or pork.
It can also be done in 350 degree oven while you are at practice or game.
i have taken pork or chicken out of freezer and put in crock pot and added the rest of the ingredients and in 6 hours on medium or 9 hours on low you have a hot meal that is easy to fix. Cook some rice or pasta and a veggie and you have a meal. My picky kids and hubby love it when i make this.This can be doubled and put in frezzer for last minute meal.

I'm a single working mom of 3 kids - 16, 19 & 22. I don't know if this would fly with your family, but when my kids were little we had "cereal night" and "pizza night" which took care of 2 nights during the week. As my 2 boys got bigger, the cereal wasn't very satisfying but all 3 loved cereal so much when they were little I just designated one night for just cereal, and since the pizza was ordered no cooking that night either. Some other "quickie" meals my kids liked were bacon, eggs, hashbrowns & toast, or pancakes & eggs, hot dogs & steamed veges, canned soup & sandwiches, chicken meals from our favorite deli, or mac & cheese w/ steamed veges. Good luck!

Meatball sandwiches or french dip sandwiches with potatoes of some sort and fruit.

1 / 3