Shampoo/body Wash That's Good for Eczema

My 16 month old has always had eczema on her legs, but it was very mild (diagnosed by her pediatrician). For some reason, it has gotten significantly worse in the past week or so. I have not changed the bath soap (Dove unscented) nor made any changes to her diet. Moms of older kids whose kids had ezcema as babies/toddlers have recommended Aveeno and California Baby, but it appears that the forumla of these products have recently changed, and are no longer as effective (I actually used California Baby for a bit when my daughter was an infant, and did not think it was all that great). So far, I've used California Baby, Dove unscented bar soap, and Earth Mama Angel Baby unscented soap, and I also use Aquaphor (recommended by her pediatrician), but have found that none of these are particularly helpful for my daughter's eczema. Any recommendations?

Thank you all for your suggestions! I forgot to mention that I've already tried Dr. Bronner's castile soap (unscented), and it didn't help either. :(

The best treatment for eczema is not topical - not lotions, not shampoos/washes, etc. It's a systemic reaction and you really have to address it from the inside. Remember the skin is the largest organ and is highly affected by food intake, toxins, inability to process certain foods - so the body reacts with a type of autoimmune response (which is true of most if not all autoimmune conditions).

The external products make very little difference. Some may be less irritating than others, but none of them are going to get rid of the problem. In my experience, that's much more effective when done from inside with cellular nutrients, not meds.

I used Excederm (spelling maybe off) that I got at CVS. I thought it helped with my son. I also used California Baby lotion. My pediatrician recommended Hydrocortizone cream to clear it up, which worked, and then I used these as more of a preventative, but when it got bad, I used the Hydrocortizone cream again. He doesn't get it bad now, so I use a oatmeal based soap and lotion and it seems to keep it at bay. I also only bath him every other day, maybe every two days depending on what we do.

My SIL (lives in London) uses Aveeno that comes especially for Excema.
I have also seen a lotion for Excema.
My nephew is 15 months old.

I typically agree with Diane B, but his time I must respectfully, mostly but not totally, disagree. I suffered horribly form eczema as a child and back then the doctors my parents took me to didn't even know what it was. I was probably 7 or 8 before they finally found one who recognized it for what it was. He prescribed a prescription topical cream that worked within days to make the worst of the patches disappear. I still have scars on one of my arms from a patch that was just so bad. For me, the only soap that didn't irritate me was Ivory, but again this was in the early 70's so there are many more options today. Currently I use Dove or Neutrogena bars, and if necessary a hydrocortizone creme. Eczema is an allergic reaction to something environmental. For most people it's usually a food product. Milk and dairy are the most common culprits. For me it's pollen. Most people get stuffed up with runny noses and sneeze a lot, me, I break out in rashes. While Diane is correct that soaps and washes won't treat it, many of them will make it worse, and there are topical creams that may help, especially if the root cause is airborne and not food-borne.

And on a side note; Hwerw J. you have been reported. Go proselytize somewhere else. This is an advice forum not a place to attempt to convert people.

http://www.nationaleczema.org/
This is the link for the National Eczema Organization.
They have lots of info on it and per products etc.

You also have to know what triggers it in your child.
It can be different for each person.
For my Mom for example, it is citrus and oats or anything oatmeal, that triggers eczema in her. That includes, any beauty products with oatmeal in it etc. And also certain jewelry will trigger it on her skin.
Thus, it can be, anything topical OR something ingested, which MAY trigger it in some people.

I still struggle with eczema with my 7 year old. We have moved from food allergies as a younger child to environmental allergies. His eczema is horrible on the back of his legs and in the creases of his elbows. He also developed a patch on his face- a place where he has never had it before.
So my regiment- Cetaphil body wash and lotion. Pricey- but the best (I have tried it all.) And recently, I switched to Johnson and Johnson Baby Naturals shampoo to clear up a patch of eczema on his head. After a couple of uses, it was gone. I was actually shocked since we have used all different shampoos. I also apply Aquaphor ointment to the flare ups twice a day. So far, this combination of products has really helped.
My experience with California baby is ok. I love the conditioner for my daughter's hair, but I don't really like the wash or soaps. My personal experience with Dove has not been good on my own sensitive skin, so I try to stay away from all their products. I have a UV light allergy, and even the unscented sends my skin into a tailspin during an eruption.

I would ask your dr about the following:
Cetaphil -- once a day
Washing with water once a day
Don't need to bath every day. cold baths when you do.
Immediately moisturize -- aveeno, aquaphor???

GL

Eczema is typically an allergy to something whether it be food or topical.

I would keep a food journal for her...find out what she eats and when the eczema flares...

In the mean time?

Aveeno Oatmeal body wash...

Or you can go to the VitaminShoppe and find out what natural body washes they have for eczema.

This is really expensive...but I hear it works well.

http://www.target.com/p/california-baby-eczema-shampoo-bo...

http://www.dermstore.com/product_Stelatopia+Cream+Cleanse...

Hope this helps!!

I have also seen a lotion for Excema.
My nephew is 15 months old.

1 / 3