Shakes Before and After Eating

im 32 weeks pregnant and have just started getting the shakes before i eat but really bad after. So bad i feel exausted and have to

sit down. i also get dizzy and blurred vision. im pretty positive this has to do with blood sugar, but wanted to see if anyone else

ended up w gestational diabetes. any info would help, thanks so much

i did get tested for GD and i was 1 point way from it being to high. this just started about a week ago. going to dr tomorrow so i will let hime know. thanks for all the advise, i will eat more often

The shakes are more often associated with low blood sugar (the opposite of diabetes). I got this when I was pregnant and had no appetite, but needed to eat. Things that will help are to eat complex carbohydrates in place of the refined sugars (more veggies and whole grains and less sugar and white rice/pasta/bread)

Definitely contact your doctor but in the meantime don't go longer than about 2 hours without eating. Doesn't have to be full meals. Eat a handful of almonds, have some cheese and grapes, apple with peanut butter and skim milk, cottage cheese and fruit, a yogurt with some granola and wheat germ mixed in, keep things like Luna bars with you. It doesn't necessarily mean you have GD but you need to get checked out and you need to make sure you are eating enough and enough of the right things. You need lots of protein, good fats, fiber to help keep your blood sugars stable.

Did the doctor give you some kind of sheet to tell you how to eat? My husband is diabetic and I can tell you how he eats, but I don't know if it is different for a pregnant woman. Ideally he should eat 5 times a day, spaced.

Actually this is how all of us should eat. Just watch portions.
Breakfast, about 2 hours later snack, a couple of hours later lunch, a mid afternoon snack, dinner. Try to eat meals 4-6 hours apart and snacks at least 2 hours from a meal.

Then there is a distribution of carbs, fats, protein. Choose healthy carbs and don't worry about sugar. It's all about carbs.

We Aim for this distribution at each meal/snack:
40-45% of your calories should be Complex Carbohydrates. Pick low glycemic carbs with lots of fiber like whole grains, beans and plant based phytonutrients found in fresh fruits and vegetables.
25-30% of your calories should come from lean protein foods like soy, low or nonfat dairy, fish rich in omega 3 fatty acids and lean poultry.
25-30% of your calories should come from healthy fats like olives, nuts. avocados and seeds. Just be careful about your portions.

Also make sure your blood pressure is in check - could be preggo induced hypertension.

I think i was tested before 32 weeks but i don't recall...you need to get to your doctor and get tested!

That is something that should have been diagnosed around 22-24 weeks of pregnancy. I thought all pregnant women got tested for that. It did turn out for me that I did have gestational diabetes but I never had the shakes or blurred vision. I would definantly call the doctors office and talk to them and see what they say. This does not sound good. If you wear glasses currently it may not be abnormal for you to have vision changes during pregnancy. Make sure to eat every four hours. Do not wait long periods of time to eat. You should eat 3 regular meals and 3 snacks during the day.It may be that you are not eating frequently enough. when you are pregnant and in general this is how you should eat to keep blood sugar levels normal and to keep metabolism normal. Good luck

I have low blood sugar, hypoglycemia, and get the shakes really bad if I don't eat protein every two hours. It can take a while after eating to feel better. The key is preventing the shakes to begin with. I would first call your doctor, but while waiting to hear back, try eating protein snacks frequently. Good choices include cheese, milk, peanut butter, nuts/trail mix, protein bars.

Hope you start to feel better!

Hi, S.;

Are you taking vitamins with iron?

You can test your urine with the strips that you can buy from the drug store, I think. You can tell if you are spilling sugar that way. does the Doc check your urine every time you go for a check up?

Just wan to know. D.

1 / 3