Selling House

Our home has been on the market for a couple of months and we have had 5 showings. Our realtor suggested since the market is so slow right now to take it off the market for a little while and then relist later. We signed a 6 month contract with her. Would this extend the months with her? My thinking is to leave it on and then if it hasn't sold in 6 months to relist with another agent. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated. I am ready to sell and move!!

Thanks

I'd leave it on the market and then when the 6 months is up do like you stated, go with another agent. I wouldn't take it off the market, that makes no sense.

I agree, leave it on. The market is bad but it just takes one buyer. Make her earn her commission and sell it!

I would leave it on for another month, you have nothing to loose. I do agree that the market has slowed down and with the collapse of the sub prime market and now the impeding implosions of major mortgage firms a lot of potential buyers can no longer afford to buy homes. I do have many years or decades of real estate and new home sales experience as does my family so I tend to watch these trends very closely. Your price range is the real key. Many of the lower price homes sales have slowed down. However the upper end of the market is thriving. Don’t let this scare you off. If you want or need to sell your home definitely keep re listing it. I would continue to sign at max a 6 month agreement. Just don’t get caught up in it selling quickly. Your home just as a rule of thumb in this market if it is priced correctly may take about 8 months. I would find a real estate firm that really focuses on the following:

1. Radio shows
2. Mass mail out media
3. People who specialize in staging your home
4. Can give you an unbiased opinion on what items need to be cleaned or touched up.
5. Give you feedback on every showing

None of these items will cost you more money. A great agent or team should do them routinely. Once you find someone who can do this or more then I would stick with them. Rarely does the listing agent sell your home. Rarely. Therefore you need someone who will do more than yard sign, open house (huge waste of your time – don’t do them unless you live in CA) flyer and MLS listing. These items do not and will not sell your home. If you have more questions please do not hesitate in emailing me. I am very happy to pass on any knowledge that I have been blessed with. Best of luck.

My Dad is a real estate agent and if your house has been on the market for 2 months and only had 5 showings, your real estate agent sucks. She should be doing things to drive traffic to your house. 5 showings should happen in one weekend.

You might want to check out DIYNetwork.com or HGTV.com for ideas on making your house more appealing. There are certain things you want to clear from your house when trying to sell it. Like all personal photos, ONLY 2 appliances on the kitchen counter. Stuff like that. But those two websites will have a ton of that kind of information. If you need any help let me know!

Good Luck!!
LP

Emma - the market has slowed, but is not bad. Don't take it of the market and put it back on with the same realtor. You nned to determine what is being done to market your home first. If it's the Realtor, then re-listing it later isn't going to make any difference. Currently it is a buyers market - you have to be willing to price it accordingly, and make the interior appeal to what buyers are looking for.
As a Realtor I can't and won't solicit your business - all I can say is give your Realtor a fair chance, find out what the average days on the market is, tour some of the homes that you are competing against, and find out what is being done to market your home.
Good Luck! L.:)

As a buyer, when I see that a house has been on the market for a while, I automatically think three things - overpriced, unattractive or some other defect. The longer it's on the market, the more appealing it becomes to me as a buyer because I think the seller may be more flexible with price and terms if they really want to get it sold. That, of course, is not always the case, but both houses I've bought in the past 10 years were on the market longer than 6 months and we did get some reasonable allowances during the sale (i.e., some closing costs covered, lowered price, interior upgrades, etc.).

If I were you, I would not take it off the market. There's one thing you know for sure. If you take it off the market, it will definitely not sell. At least if you have it listed, there's a chance the perfect buyer will come along.

I agree with some of the other posters that you need to make sure you're priced right and that your home is in excellent showing condition. The first house we bought we saw when it was first on the market and it was overpriced and needed new paint, carpet and was way too cluttered. The price went down $10k and so we looked at it again several months later and they had replaced the carpet, repainted, and by then the house was empty as the owners had moved on and it looked like a completely different house. We put a bid in on it that day.

And in regards to the contract with your listing agent, if you're not happy with them, you can ask if you can cancel your contract. Some realtors advertise you can cancel at any time and some do it as a courtesy even if they don't advertise it. I'm not saying yours will, but I can't imagine that it would hurt to ask.

Good luck in whatever you decide!

As a realtor and a seller right now, I can feel your pain both ways. My own house has granite counters, wood floors, freize carpeting and the latest colors and the floorplan won architectural design in 2001 (so not that old either). It received alot of showings, but many people are either looking for bargains or already have an idea what they are looking for. I chose to lease my house rather than take a loss on the sales price for now. It leased pretty quickly. Since then I have put several others on the market with a lease option and are getting many more responses on the lease.

Emma,

I know exactly where you are coming from. It sucks, doesn't it?! We got rid of our first realtor because we didn't feel he was doing ANYTHING to sell our house for us, and now we have a realtor who sold us our house in the first place. He has told us that even though we are "early in the game" that due to the market, we should consider the posibility that we might have to rent out our house for now. WHAT?! I sure do not want to deal with renters. (I have heard horror stories about renters, I am not saying all renters are bad! :)) My husbnad and I have decided to take matters into our own hands, and we are going to market our own house. We are going to get business cards and postcards from VistaPrint, and hand them out. We are trying to find out who is renting in our current neighborhood, and send them flyers letting them know that they can own a house in the same neighborhood for less than what they are paying for rent... the fact is, we are doing this on our own. Nobody wants to sell your house more than you do!
I don't know about the whole listing contract time... but I hope this has helped.
E.

1 / 3