Seeking Non-profit That Needs Baby Items

Hi moms. Anyone know of a non-profit group that will accept a donation of baby items such as a stroller, car seat, etc. Goodwill will not take items like that.

S.,
These places come to mind.
Shelters for women and children, such as Sarah's Inn in Oak Park.
Catholic Charities
Lutheran Child and Family Services
Pregnancy Centers

These smaller institutions might not have the legal restrictions for accepting used items that the bigger organizations, such as Goodwill and Salvation Army do.

Also, there is the Opportunity Shop in Oak Park. This is a consignment shop, I believe. You could still donate the items, though.

Amy

Hello I am the President of the Missionary (Outreach) Department at my church and we are having a Community Baby Shower on August 21, 2010. We can use what ever items you can donate. Please feel free to contact me ____@____.com.

I don't know of any non-profits, but I know of freecycle.org. It's a website that you post your items and you can meet somewhere for someone to pick them up or they can come to your house and you leave the things on your porch. It's usually people in your area depending on what locations you post. There are also people who post thing that they need. It's a great way to get rid of things you no longer want and pick up things that you may need. I hope this works for you.
Take care!

I would expect just about any church would gladly accept them.

S.,
Check into Batered women shelters. They have to leave quickly and may not have taken items like those. They would be very greatful.

Karen F.

The Brown Elephant (which has several locations in the city on the north side and Oak Park) as well as Salvation Army will accept donations and you will receive a slip showing your donations and the value for tax purposes. Also, I'm not sure that anyone will accept the car seat because by law, they are not supposed to resell them. This is because it might have been in an accident or something and could have some malfunction associated with it.

All the best!

There is an organization in Downers Grove called Sharing Connections www.sharingconnections.org that collects household and children's items to give to needy local families. My mom volunteers there and I know it is a good organization. Hope this helps!!
Thanks, E.

A little information:
A carseat is considered garbage after its been used most likely because there are laws that prohibit the resale of car seats because of the unknown history of the car seat. In other words, the organization selling the item has no idea if the car seat was in a car accident and if a car seat is involved in an accident it is considered unsafe. Other than that you should have no problem dropping your other items off at the salvation army/amvets trucks you find in the parking lots of most major retailers. I recently dropped off 4 bags of clothes, 2 boxes of shoes, a bouncy seat, and an exersaucer.

check with some local churches to see if they work with any women's shelters. they usually are looking for this type of stuff.

I don't thin k they will take a carset, but Shelter, Inc. will take all other baby items. They are a not for profit that helps abused & neglected kids, and there are teen moms in their program.
http://www.shelter-inc.org/
hope this helps!

S.,
These places come to mind.
Catholic Charities
Lutheran Child and Family Services
Pregnancy Centers

Amy

Yes i know a nonprofit that would be greatful to get donations of baby items. You can contact me at ###-###-#### or ###-###-#### ask for A. M..
We can use anything that you would like to donate.
Thank You,
A. M.

I'm not sure about the carseat, but Sharing Connections in Downer's Grove will take the stroller. You also could try social service agencies that work with teen moms, like New Moms, or Domestic Violence agencies. There is alot of need for these items.

Early Head Start!!!! We desperately need items for our parents. There area 3 locations, Aurora, Elgin and Capentersville. They are part of Two Rivers Head Start Agency. The Aurora site is at Randall and Sullivan, if that's close to you. You can email me, ____@____.com, and I can give you directions and contact info. Thanks!

Pregnancy Information Center in Aurora will take all of it. They do not resell the items. They give the items to moms in the area the need them. The moms get the items once they attend parenting classes.
Pregnancy Information Center
411 W Galena Blvd # 8
Aurora, IL 60506
###-###-####