Safe Campsites for Families

We have just started camping as a easy way to have fun and not cost a lot of money. The only problem is that, being new, we don't know anywhere to go. We especially want it to be safe because we are using a tent. Any ideas?

This is the first time I have asked a question on mamasource and I just wanted to thank everyone for responding. Your ideas were great. We are planning a trip very soon and have saved all the responses. We want to visit as many of the sites as we can. Family is very important and to be able to have so many choices has made the decision making process very fun and the trips will be ones that make a ton of memories!!! Keep the ideas coming and thanks again.

Isle Dubois campsite in Lake Ray Roberts park. You can get info. from the city of Denton website. It is between Sanger and Pilot Point, about 25 minutes from Denton. It is very kid friendly-- they have bathrooms, showers, and lots of park/play areas. There's also a "beach" area.

Just got home from Loyd Park on Joe Pool Lake. We had a blast. Also try Tawakoni State Park out towards Terrell.

Have fun camping!

K.O.A. camp grounds are the best. very safe and they have activities, pools and such. WE ALWAYS USE THEM.

We're planning to do alot of camping this summer also, so we bought the TX Parks Dept family membership ($60). My husband and son have gone to Isle of DuBois at Ray Roberts several times with friends and have enjoyed it. We've also just gone to their little beach and let the kids play for a few hrs since its close to us. I've also been camping at Benbrook Lake which was close and nice. It's gated and secure like the state parks too.

http://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/benbrook/Recreation/Camp...

And we've been on day trips to Dinosaur valley park at Glen Rose. Also very nice, family oriented and lots of people camping -- and we saw several deer not far from the camping area! Very exciting for the kids. We're looking forward to camping there this year.

East Texas has some nice camping areas...We've used the cabins at Caddo Lake several times, very fun area. And my husband and I (pre-kids) camped several times at Lake of the Pines near Jefferson some of the campsites were terraced into the hill - VERY cool. Jefferson has their Annual Pilgrimmage which is alot of fun also.

Hope that helps! And thanks for asking the question, I've enjoyed reading everyone else's suggestions too.

Check into Eisenhower State Park. It just just up 75 on Lake Texoma. It's about an hour drive from the Plano area. I've camped there several times with friends. There are always families there and we've never had any problems.

Here's a link to their website:
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/eisenh...

The Vineyards Campground in Grapevine is a great place to camp. It has secured gates at night, the staff is very friendly and there is an awesome playground with fishing pier and a nature trail. www.vineyardscampground.com or call ###-###-####.

Join us this weekend on Lake Grapevine - www.AdventureDayCamps.com - we have about 10 families with kids joining us. You bring your tent and personal items, we take care of the rest! Activities, food, and campsite included in the price - $25 for Adults and $15 for kids. The weather looks like it'll be perfect! Feel free to give me a call at ###-###-####.

Our favorite campsite is Turner Falls Park in Oklahoma. Just over the border not far at all. Maybe half an hour from Denton. It is in Ardmore OK I think. It is a great camping place. We always tent camp too. They have a store, a mini golf, and a little kids outdoor movie theater too. Also a restaurant that serves a great pancake breakfast really cheap. There are lots of trails to walk or bike. Also a few caves to explore. A perfect swimming hole with a waterfall that is so much fun in the summer. We have had so much fun there over the years. Haven't been in 3 years though since I got pregnant and have an almost 2 year old. But i spent years going with my son - he's 21 years old now and he says camping there provided him with some of his favorite memories.

For some place close, Joe Pool Lake in Grand Prairie. Also Lake Murray in Oklahoma is nice.

My family goes every summer to a place in South Fork Colorado called Fun Valley. It is open from Memorial Day to the end of September. They do not have a web site but there are some reviews from people who have been there before. My kids (10 and 7) love it there. There are activities (paddle boats, hiking, horses, miniature golf, bike riding, church services) grocery store, bath houses, gift shop and cafe. You can stay in the motel, cabins or their trailers. (Reservations are necessary for the motel, cabins & trailers). They have RV sites and tent sites. I have seen lots of tents over the years. No one is allowed in or out without a Fun Valley Sticker that you are given upon registration. They have security at the front gate at all times. They also only rent to families. There is very little to no cell phone service, but they do have WI-FI. They have been open 50 years. My kids think that there is no other place to vacation. Have fun camping. We LOVE it!

1 / 3