Requesting Gift Suggestions for Teachers and Daycare Workers

Hi Ladies, I would like to say thank you in advance for any time that any of you are able to give to this matter since this is the time of year when everyone is so busy.

Every year I have to buy gifts for sveral teachers and daycare workers for my children. I spend many hours racking my brain trying to come up with something nice and thoughtful that won't cost me an arm & a leg, I am coming up short this year, like my brain has gone dry. I know that I am asking for a miracle but as mothers we perform miracles everyday. So I am asking you all for any ideas that you all may have that wouldn't cost a lot per person or take a whole lot of time to asseble, if that is required because I just don't have a lot of time right now.

Again, thank you for any time that you are able to give, it is greatly appreciated.

Hi! As a teacher I would like to add my perspective -- I actually do not like getting store-bought gifts from my students and their parents. I usually end up re-gifting these items b/c I do not care for sweets, I have enough (too many!) little decorative items, and I am picky about lotions, shampoos, and such. My favorite gift from a child/family is a card made by the child. Really, that is plenty! I never think that the family is "skimping" -- in fact I am grateful not to be weighed down with yet another THING. One of the values I aspire to teach my students is that material objects (and competing for them) does not bring happiness, and I appreciate when families embody this in their gift-giving. Other types of gifts you might want to consider: volunteer time in the classroom (if the teacher or daycare center welcomes this), a contribution to a good cause (such as Heifer International or Kiva -- and if a Kiva gift is given to the whole class instead of just the teacher, they can track the progress of an overseas business together!); or if you are really stuck on a THING -- a book for the classroom from the teacher's wish list (most teachers have wish lists at local or chain book sellers; just ask); or if you know the teacher REALLY well, you can give a particular book you know he/she wants, or a gift certificate to a book store.

Last year I got beaded bracklets in all colors at Walgreens and put two or three together with a nice ribon and tied it at the top. The bracklets were only about $1.00 apeice and everyone loved them. They are located at Walgreens in the cosmetic section.

I like giving caregivers and teachers angel ornaments. It's simple, they can use it on their tree or keep it out year-round, and pretty!
I give a card with an inscription like, "an angel for an angel." Good luck to you!

I read through the other responses there were some good ideas. I am a former teacher, and I tend to agree with the mom who said that a "material" gift just isn't necessary or expected. The day before Christmas break, I would go home with a box full of gifts from my students. I truly appreciated each gesture, but to be honest, most were things I just couldn't use. When I taught low-income students, I felt extremely guilty and when I taught in an affluent area, the gifts I received were "over the top" and I felt guilty too. I am being sincere that the best "gifts" I ever got were letters from students (and these were high school students) saying how much they loved me and how they thought my own kids were "lucky" I was their mom. I still have these touching letters and cards in an album and I will keep them forever. There is nothing like a card from a parent saying how you've changed their child's life because you saw in him something others never saw or recognized.

I truly understand the pressure to produce a gift for teachers every year...I deal with that myself with 3 kids of my own. However, your question inspired me to sit down today and write a heartfelt and personal card to each teacher this year.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

My mother in law showed me this and it is really cute. You may have to write me back and let me send you a pic of it before you understand as my directions aren't that great.
But you take a man Tube sock and a sack of bird seed. You poor the bird seed into the sock about 3/4 of the way I guess. Then you put a rubber band around the top after all the bird seed you want is in. Then you decide where the body of the snow man will be and the head. Of course the head is smaller so to seperate them you take a piece of felt or any other material and you tie it as a scarf between the body and the head. The head is between the rubber band and the scarf. For the face you just take a marker and dot the eyes and the nose and a smiley line for the mouth OR you could glue felt for the eyes a pair of the eyes that you would get in the craft shop. (You can be creative). Then you take the remaining of the sock (above the rubber band and fold it back down over the rubber band and make it look like a hat on top of the snow man's head. You can glue a little bow at the bottom of the hat. You stand your snow man up and then you make little cards on the computer that say: "Inside your house I will stay, Until you feed me to the birds on christmas day." You can put a picture of a snow man on the little cards that you make on the computer and then on the back you can type the teachers name and from what child. You then put it in a little xmas sack and punch holes in the card that you made and tie the card to the sack and off the kids go to school with a relatively inexpensive and very cute gift.

If you need a pic of it let me know and I will send you one so you can see it.

Hi A., I wanted to respond with a unique and very inexpensive idea for teachers and daycare workers. I offer this idea every year and they are always a hit!

I am a Tastefully Simple consultant and we have an apple cake mix that you can put in a festive bag, attach with a cute poem (See below) and 2 apples (the cake only requires 2 apples and 2 eggs to make). IF you have never tried our products they are really delicious and a cinch to make. IF you are interested or want additional info- please feel free to email me at my home address at ____@____.com/

Here is the idea:

An inexpensive, practical and unique gift for any teacher!

In a festive gift bag, place the following items:

Nana's Apple Cake Mix ($5.99)
2 Apples

Attach this poem to the bag and voila!

A Gift for My Teacher

Apples for my teacher
As perfect as can be
They are sweet and special just like you
As anyone can see!

Mix the apples with the box inside
You’re sure to find a treat
One you’ll love to share with friends
And everyone you meet!

Happy Holidays to you, Dear Teacher
Hope it is the best
Hoping that this tasty treat
will surely pass the test!

Happy Holidays!

Thank you for all that you do!

As a former teacher, I appreciate your desire to give thoughtful, cost-effective gifts. I always loved personalized notepads, etc. and Vistaprint is a good website where they are really cheap!!! I actually used them to get gift for one of my teacher friends, and it was really well received! Hope this helps!

It is so nice of you to think of those people who do so much to help your family. As a teacher I know, do not give candles and lotions! ;) My goodness that is what everyone does and after not teaching for a year I still can give some away, I'll never use what all I have. Also, for me personally, I don't want the extra calories in all the baked food. A kit cat every now and then is nice, but a plate full of choc. chips will go straight to my hips and that is what we think about when seeing it.
The best thing really is gift cards. I hate to be so unpersonal, but they are great. Especially if a mom organizes it to all go into one store. Then, the teacher can really get something nice. I have also loved getting photo books already made with the kids' pictures in them; like they have at snapfish... you can also do them at most grocery stores now and Rite Aides etc. (As long as everyone has permission to be photographed).

Good luck. :)
Merry Christmas!
A.

If you go to Restaurants.com, you can get $25 gift certificates for $10! I think that would be a nice gift. Easy for you, and something they will enjoy.

Every one of the responses you have gotten has been great. I just wanted to add a little because my mother was a teacher for over 30 years and then went back to school, got her Masters and became Assist. Principal for many years. She had a Principalship lined up for the next school year but died Christmas day 1989. The items I have the she lovingly kept throughout all the years were simple items from students. Personalized Christmas tree ornaments were her favorite. She LOVED Christmas. And always had a beautiful tree. The other items she kept that I inherited were simple but beautiful brooches (pins) some were holiday some were not. I wear a cute snowman, she got, on my coat it was not expensive I am sure but it is pretty and sparkly. My brother's wife got the most expensive ones from when Mother taught at a very affluent school- the sterling silver snowflakes and the Reed Barton necklaces the gold earrings. But I get so many comments from friends about the Snowman I appreciate it just like it was real gold and diamonds and rubys! I have enough Christmas pins from her, I can wear a different one every week to church. She kept and I inherited a few pretty little boxes (with paper clips, push pins and do-dads she put in them) that came from students as well. She also kept ALL the special hand written items. Notes, letters and recipes written by the children many had typical misspellings that little children do she loved to read out loud to us and giggle about 'how that showed what a great teacher she was that she could not even teach her studends how to spell'. Many were folded and refolded until well worn showing how much she loved them. Many of the recipes were ones included with the food item she received. If your teachers have children don't worry about giving sweets their kids will love you for them and the recipes will become part of a vast collection the teachers will keep and enjoy again and again. We always did.;-) The long point I am making is teachers that truly love their students will appreciate anything you come up with. My mother always did. Some things as I have mentioned lasted through the years. My mother had been gone this Christmas 19 years and I still use some of the recipes she got over 40 years ago. All you can do, is all you can do, and all you can do is enough.
Good Luck,
a teachers daughter,

1 / 3