Relocating to Scottsdale Area with Family. Schools? Neighborhoods?

Hello: I am relocating my family to the Scottsdale area. We live in Kansas city area in the sub-urbs. Does anyone know the best school district in the area? Also we were looking in fountain hills area. We would like a neighborhood that has families. Our children are 1 and 4 yrs old.
Location does not matter so much for getting to work since the family is the most important.
T. F

Both area's are very nice. I can tell you that. My son attended scottsdale schools, and has done well.

I am a REALTOR in Scottsdale & have lived here for 5 years. Are you currently working with a REALTOR? Are you renting or buying? What price range do you want to be in? I can definitely help you, and there is no fee to you. Let me know. My email is ____@____.com.

Hi T.!

First, let me say welcome to your new home!! That is wonderful that you are moving to Arizona, I was born and raised here and I love it. I did a short stint in NY for college but came back here to have my kids and my sisters, mom, dad and other family live here too.

First, let me say that Fountain Hills is a very secluded and small community with a large population of retired people, 2nd home owners and winter visitors. It is also a little higher in the expense department, but I have no idea what the schools are like there. Shea Blvd is also the main artery for coming and going to Fountain Hills, and that is a very long commute, one that is packed in the morning and evening.

Are you looking for private or public school? I attended private and public here, my daughter attends a phenomenal public school in the Scottsdale School District, Hopi Elementary (she is in 2nd grade now) and my son is 2.5 and will be attending Kindergarten at Hopi when he is able to. They have incredible parent and community donations of not just money but equipment and time, it is an Excelling school which is the highest designation a school can have, and it is located at the base of Camelback Mountain in the incredible Arcadia area! I grew up in that neighborhood and fell in love with it because it was so green and different from the surrounding desert areas.

If you want me to send you some information or give you some websites, I can help you.

Don't underestimate the power of a short commute to work. The less time in the car, the more time you and/or your spouse get to spend with your family, which as you said, is the most important thing.

Good luck with your move! Welcome to the Valley!

hi T. - I've found this website very helpful in researching schools: http://www.greatschools.net/ Hope that helps! Good luck :)

We live in the Arcadia area and I highly recommend it! It is filled with beautiful ranch style homes with families. It is a small town within the city! I have a 16 year old daughter who is a Junior at Arcadia High School this year. She loves it! She stays active with Varsity Cheer, Dance, and honor classes.

I moved here from CA a year ago. We live in North Scottsdale, Grayhawk area. My 3rd and 6th grader attend Grayhawk Elem. I also have an 8th grader at Mountain Trail Middle School. We all love it. It is highly rated and the teachers and staff are wonderful. The community is very family oriented. There are neighborhood parks and greenbelt areas where the kids play. We looked in Fountain Hills, Phoenix etc and found the Grayhawk area to be the best fit.
Good luck! Feel free to contact me with any questions.
C. A

you will love it here! I grew up in Kansas City and went to KU. There are so many people from Kansas City here you will feel right at home. I have lived here for 10 years and my kids have gone to Cheyenne Traditional School for the entire time. (it is a k-8) It is a public school in the Scottsdale School district. It has had the highest test scores in the city for years. Scottsdale School district as a whole has excellent test scores-some of the best in the state. Their web site is SUSD.org. You should check it out. For investment purposes it is best to move to the most desireable part of town that you can afford for re-sale value. Fountain Hills is a great part of town that is still affordable. Their school district hasn't always been so great but they have put alot of money into upgrading the school system in the last couple of years. Also, Scottsdale School District has open enrollment for all of their schools. That means if you live within there district you can choose which school you want to go to.

T.,

I grew up in Fountain Hills and have now bought my first home there and I have a 10 month old. The public schools in AZ are terrible no matter where you go, unfortunately, and the Scottsdale system is in disaray so I think no matter where you choose to live, you need to make the most of it or send the kids to private school. The Kyrene District (Tempe/Chandler area) is the only suitable system by popular opinion.

FH is great for kids..its safe, there is the large fountain park, strong sense of community, and lots of churchs to choose from if you are religious. The only drawback is there are not large chains (I think that's a plus!) other than Target and 2 grocers, few better-than-average restaurants, and your job may not be in the area since there is not a lot of commerce. Its about a 15 minute hop out of Scottsdale proper where there is plenty of life. I have chosen to raise my daughter in FH and I want her to make friends there but I will be sending her to private schools. If you've had the chance to visit, its beautiful with a lot of outdoor activity (not in 115 degree heat, obviously) and just a smidgen cooler than being in the city thanks to the surrounding mountians. Good Luck!

1 / 3