PreTeen With Dizziness and Headaches and Nausea

My 11 year old daughter has suddenly developed frequent headaches, dizziness, and some nausea/vomiting when she wakes up. By 10am, it's gone. I've had MRIs, CT scans, EEGs, ears checked, etc, but all came back negative. I've tried all kinds of natural remedies, like ice, magnesium, and lots of water, but she seems to be getting worse. Doctors said it wasn't vertigo, either, and it doesn't appear to be migraines. Any help or advice is very welcome! I know her body's changing and she's probably getting close to getting her period.

This is just an old home remedy, but my grandmother always gave us peanut butter crackers and a cold coke. She would tell us to sit down and sip on the coke and slowly eat the crackers as soon as we started feeling the slightest bit of "those" headaches coming on. Worth the try...good luck!

When you mentioned morning that rang a bell for me..... I used to grind my teeth badly at night and due to TMJ, I did have bad headaches in the morning, dizziness and sometimes nausea. Your Pediatric Dentist might be able to help with diagnose TMJ. I wore a splint for several years at night and it helped tremendously. I no longer have to wear a splint but sometimes I still do wake up with the headache. Ask her if her jaws and face hurt.

Also.....I have allergies pretty badly, especially now a days and I often wake up in the morning with a headache and nausea. The drainage makes me sick to my stomach.

I have a 13 yr old on her cycle for about a year now. There have been a few times I have had to pick her up at school with headache, nausea and diahrrea. This does not happen often with her but when it does she feels better with a heating pad, Midol and sleep.

Hopefully that gives you a couple of other avenues to check out.

TF

I had the same issue and am still have issues every now and then. I am just very sensitive to hormones and when alligries kick in it get even worse. If it is the same issue I have she will learn how to deal with it. I can only eat small, easy on the stomach meals in the morning and things with ginger seem to help. Make sure she is drinking a lot of water and gets plenty of sleep.

Since it's in the morning maybe it's a problem I've had for years, does she grind her teeth or clench her jaw at night? I have a lot of the same symptoms from that. Not so much the dizziness but lots of headaches and nausea. I also have migraines and wake up with them more than have them start during the day which threw the doctors for years. I've found a lot of things that help prevent them. PM me if you want more info on what's helped me. L.

You have gotten great advice! One more thing it could be is her eating habits. My daughter would be eating junk food and not be hungry for meals so in the mornings she was often sick just like your daughter. She is not hypoglycemic nor has she had any other conditions. This problem also got exarcerbated by her staying up too late once or twice a week. So poor eating habits and being extremely tired caused her to have the same symptoms as your daughter. Keep in mind stress could be a factor too. Stress alone could be causing her problems. Best wishes and God bless!

Does she have sinus problems? My daughter has that alot and i've taken her to doctor after doctor. She get's sinus infections and really there is no pain medicine that will take it away. The doctor prescribe her medicine for motion sickness and that seemed to help. Good luck

Im sure u have had lots of advise, but my daughter has POS its is a "female" problem where she is supposed to have a period, but the egg never comes out. It just forms a cyst. She should have started when she was 11 or 12 and she never did. Now that she is 14 she has only had three periods. There is nothing that can really be done, but she did have the same symptoms that your daughter has. Best of luck to you and yours!

Hi Rosalind,

I used to get really sick in the morning from too much acid in my stomach. I was about her age (I'm 26). At the time, I went to the doctor and they gave me I wanna say Zantac when it was a prescription. Prevacid or any of the other acid reducers should work too. Give her one of those and you could also try an ear pill called Meclazine. It's in Dramamine (for motion sickness), but the regular pill is better, I find them at Brookshires on the shelf. Walmart has them at the pharmacy, but you have to ask. Try giving her both of those it should settle her stomach and if she has any ear issues it will open them up and keep her from being dizzy and help the headaches. Hope this helps!

PS: I suffer from migraines and stomach issues so if she keeps having problems feel free to message me.

1 / 3