S.H. asks from Colorado Springs, CO on April 22, 2008
Pregnancy Complications and Wants to Have Another Baby
I had very serious complications after my 3rd pregnancy. I had a 6 hour c-section and went into DIC and then had blood clots in my lungs. This is the first child for my husband. We really want more children. I am not sure if I should have another child. Any opinions or stories of your own complicated deliveries are greatly appriciated. I am not really looking for advice more than positive outcomes from other people. I am going to have a doctors opinion before I make a decision.
N.W. answers from Salt Lake City on April 24, 2008
I would like to have more children also, but I am scared to death about the whole process. It took us 18 months to conceive our sweet heart. I started bleeding and cramping at 5.5 weeks and that lasted until 20 weeks. I went into labor at 22 weeks and was on bed rest until 28 weeks. I got off bed rest and broke a rib after fainting in the shower, didn't know at the time, but I was severely anemic... Back on bed rest until 38 weeks, when I developed cholestasis and severe pre-ecclampsia. I had an emergency c-section where I lost a lot of blood and luckily they found the cause of my inferitlity ( endometriosis) so they also scraped that out, took out 3 cysts and cleared my tubes. My recovery was long and painful. I am terrified to go through that all again. Not to mention my 2 day old baby choked in the nursery and had to be intubated. I always thought I would have 3 or 4 children, but I am not sure I can handle this again. My daughter is 16 months now and doctor says because the endo is so bad that I should consider ttc before my baby is 2. I don't know what to do........sorry this isn't advice at all.......I guess I just needed an ear too:)
1 mom found this helpful
D.K. answers from Denver on April 22, 2008
What does your OBGYN say about another baby?
I know both of my pregnancies were so different. With my daughter I had preterm labor at 32 weeks, then put on bedrest and then aquired preeclampsia at 35 weeks and had to have a emergency induction at at 38 weeks. My blood pressure what so high when I delivered but went back down after birth.
With my second, my son, my pregnancy was a breeze, then around 37 weeks the Dr saw he was going to be a big baby and we decided to induce labor at 38 weeks, he was crooked and wouldn't deliver vaginally, he then became in distress so I had to have a csection but he was healthy and fine.
Unless something happened that caused the chances of complications to go up for you, then discuss what you want with your OBGYN and they are the best to let you know of the risks. I thought for sure I would get preeclampsia on the second pregnancy and did not at all.
W.N. answers from Denver on April 23, 2008
Whatever you decide, I would definetly recommend having a doula at your next birth. It sounds like you will (understanably) have some fear around your next pregnancy and birth and a doula can help you through that. Also remember that VBAC's are always an option, there is even one clinic on the Denver area that will do a VBAC after 2 c-sections. I am happy that you and your baby are fine and wish you the best no matter what you choose. For more info about doulas you can go to birthfirstdoula.vpweb.com, dona.org or just do a web search. Best wishes!
J.H. answers from Billings on April 22, 2008
Both of my pregnancies and deliveries were very different. My first was pretty normal--I started having contractions, and they gradually got worse, and 24 hours later, there was a baby. With my second, my water broke, contractions wouldn't start, and I had to be given pitosin (sp?). Then after my son came out, I had postpartum hemmoraging, and lost so much blood, I almost had to have a transfusion. From what I have heard from my doctor, many complications are isolated to that one pregnancy, and you are not more likely to experience them again just because you did the first time. You have two older children--how were your pregnancies and deliveries with them? I would go for it, unless your doctor tells you not to.
K.S. answers from Denver on April 23, 2008
Hi S.. First, it's always best to get your OB/GYN's opinion, but even though they will caution you about your risks, they won't usually say bluntly not to have another baby (liability, I suppose). Having said that, I had major complications having my daughter. I'll spare you the whole story, but I nearly bled to death and I did stop breathing, I required emergency surgery. I was told that the weight of another pregnancy could likely rupture that artery, but again was not told specifically not to get pregnant again. We struggled with a decision for a long time. But in the end we decided that our daughter needing a mom outweighs our need for another child, we just weren't willing to risk that. Now looking back (7 years ago), I can't believe we even considered another pregnancy, but I feel for you because at the time it was a real struggle. Good luck.
C.M. answers from Provo on April 23, 2008
I think your really shouldn't ask anybody except your qualified OB/GYN. You could find a OB/GYN that specializes in high risk pregancies. I have heard many times that every pregnancy is different and if the complications you had are not ones that should occur again I would consider having another one if I were you. But I do think you should talk to a qualified OB and make a informed decision. Just before having my 7th and last pregnancy I went in for a complete physical and to ask the doctor if I should or could. He assured me that I could and so I went forward. We really wanted to try one last time for a girl and we got her!! Good luck and I wish the best for you and your new husband!!
J.M. answers from Great Falls on May 06, 2008
I agree that my child can do this
K.D. answers from Denver on April 22, 2008
My first was a very difficult, long delivery that ended in a c-section, from which I did not recover well. # 2 was much easier, although was a scheduled c-section due to the complications with the first. I'm now pregnant a third time and finally got a reason for my difficulties and am being treated. Both my ob and my specialist are expecting a perfectly normal (C-scetion) delivery and healthy baby, in spite of some test results not being normal. I think each baby is very different, and although it can be scary, as long as your doctors okay it, I say go for it! You're still pretty close to your last difficulties. Medicine makes huge strides everyday, so the next time, those difficulties may not even be a problem. GL!