Pregnancy After 35? - Spring,TX

Hello, I'm just curious about pregnancy after 35....I'll be 35 this year and we are considering expanding our family. I had a rough 1st pregnancy with multiple bouts of bedrest....subchoronic hematoma in the beginning....preclampsia in the 3rd trimester. My doctor keeps telling me my clock is ticking but that making me feel rushed to make a quick decision, and that is stressful. I am so nervous about being on bedrest with a 2 year old but praying that won't happen again. I keep hearing alot of Mom's say their 1st pregnancy was rougher than the 2nd.. Any support/advice? Thanks!

Pregnancies can be rough-or not-at any age. I had my kids at 35, 37, and 39, and they were all different. I had too much stress, no help, and tons of bed rest for my 3rd which led to a detaching placenta, early delivery and emergency C section, but that was due to being home alone with two toddlers working too hard- not age. Now at 40 I'm all bounced back and in shape after hard work, fitting in all my clothes and feeling like nothing ever happened. Don't worry!

Hi Amy, every one's body is different. My first pregnancy was very nice and smooth for the whole 40 weeks. I had a very rough 2nd pregnancy and my ObGyn did mention that the toughest pregnancies are the 2nd ones. She could not explain why. I was 35 when I delivered my second child. Good luck to you.

My cousin just delivered her 3rd baby in the past 3 years... She's 39. She had wonderful pregnancies and all three of her beautiful girls are healthy and strong.

My husband and I have discussed added on to our family, I'm 35. When I spoke to my OB/GYN about it he said that over 35 isn't such a high risk anymore. They used to feel this way years ago because women weren't having their babies that "late" in life. Now that there's a history of women over 35 it's not as big of a deal.

Now that you've already had one pregnancy and know what your body went through your doctor will be able to watch for any possible signs and know what to look for.

Best wishes!

Ever think of enriching your family by adopting a baby or child without a home? It could be just as great and you don't have to worry about the pregnancy issues.

I think I would consider finding another doctor. I am 34 years old 35 in February and I asked this same question to my OB/GYN and he said I had PLENTY of time. I think that some of these doctors get so caught up with the age and risk factors but when you truly think about it every single pregnancy can be a "risk". We have more technology now and it increases every day.
I had twins my first pregnancy and for the most part it was pretty healthy sure I had problems but that was expected with me carrying twins but my doctors took very good care of me. I know even if I am 40 years old and with all the risk my team of docs would take care of me because they did such a great job when I carried the twins. Don't rush your decision....talk to other docs that is YOUR docs opinion but not a standard stamp to say you and your pregnancy is doomed if you get pregnant after 35.

Well I know lots of people post 35 with great pregnancies and healthy babies, so I wouldn't worry there. I am planning on having one more and I will probably be 36 or so...I am not worried:) My good friend had pre-eclampsia the first go round and delivered at 7 months and the second time did great, went full term and it was all in all uneventful. So I think if you want to do it, go for it. Any pregnancy could have some complications or be worry free, you just have faith and go for it each time. So I think if you want more, go for it and try not to let your dr stress you out. They get so excitable sometimes, like weather men watching a tropical storm near Haiti and all in a tizzy that it "could" come our way!! Take care whatever you decide:D

Your mom's history of pregnancies can help. However, your doctor should evaluate your present health as a whole and help you decide. If your husband is totally on board with another child, then go far it within a year. Time it so that your 2 year old won't be so demanding.

I just have my one son, and it was a perfect pregnancy and delivery with him. I was 36 at the time. He even arrived precisely on his due date.

I had my last baby at the age of 40. He was a little early but the pregnancy was better than others and he was healthy except for a little longer stay in the hospital due to pre maturity. (this may have been due to stress as I lost my mom to cancer just before he was born) Everything went well otherwise and I can't imaging life without him. He has truly been a blessing. I think as we get older we also become better mothers.I wouldn't make a hasty decision due to your "clock ticking" but I would line up some help for the 2 year old in case you need it. Best of luck to you!

1 / 3