Physician Assistant Program?

Hi
Has anyone gone throught the Masters of Physician Assistant program? what was your experiences? I have a toddler and a 7 year old and am applying to this program but am quite worried and am wondering if it is possible to go through such a program while juggling 2 kids...any thoughts or recommendations?
thanks in advance

I am a PA and graduated in 2000 from GWU with a Masters. A lot of it depends on where you go and how the program is set up.
Feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to talk to you about it.
We had one gal in our class who had 5 young children, 1 was adopted and had Tetrology of Fallot (you'll learn about that =0) and she did great!
It is a VERY time consuming, intense program and they are not very flexible or accomodating to "family needs" but you can do it if you have support. Remember, it's only a couple short years of your life!
That said, I'm enjoying my career as full-time mom even better!

My brother is a PA, but he was in the first graduating class of this field so it was a long time ago and very few schools offered the program. He received his first PA degree through the military and did his Master PA degree at Yale. I don't know how much has changed, but it was very demanding. I think that as long as you have a good support network you can do it, but his training was similar to the docs with rotations, all night on-call duties, etc. Currently he makes a very good salary and would not do anything else with his life - he really loves it. Unlike a doc, he has the flexibility to move between specializations, so he has worked in OB/Gyn offices, cardio-thoracic surgery, general practice, etc. His specialty, however, is surgery.

I haven't. My friend is in medical school and he has 2 toddlers as well.
He has to do a lot of studying away from home for some quiet, but is sure to make lots of time for family as well. Just have a great support system, you can do it!

1 / 3