Period Hasn't Started but Have Negative Pregnancy Test Results!

I was due to start my period Dec. 29th. I waited until Dec. 31st to take a home pregnancy test and it was negative. It is now Jan. 1st and I still have not started my period. My questions are...could I still be pregnant? Didn't I wait long enough to take the test? Could it be a false negative? Have any of you had the same experience? I just haven't been this late before. I am not on birth control...went off 3 months ago. We aren't really trying to have our third child yet...I really need to lose some weight first. I don't want to have a baby at the weight that I am at due to the risks...so I am a bit worried about it! Can you start your period 4 to 5 days late? Any advice would be greatly welcomed here...you ladies are always good at easing my worries! ;)

Thanks so much ladies...once again you helped me through a time of worry!! I waited a couple more days and took another HPT and it was negative as well. When I still hadn't started over a week late...I went to the Dr. and got a blood test. It was negative as well. So I now can concentrate on getting this weight off and getting healthy before adding another child to our family. Thanks again for all your advice...it really did help me to calm down a bit and not worry so much...you ladies are always there for me when I need you! ;)

False negatives are a lot more common than false positives. I know that I never get a positive test for over a week after being late. And, as the years go by, things can get a little off kilter, and since you've only been off the BC for just 3 mos, it would be more likely to be hormones being off than being pregnant. Although, I would test again if you still don't start.

I think you should wait a few more day's to take a test. I also agree that you can not tell this soon on a OTC test.

Yes, you could be getting a false negative ..... try again in a week. That happened to me even at the doctor's office.

Yes, you could just be that late. I have been as late as two weeks before with no apparent reason other than holiday stress.

Hello and Happy New Year! Your period can always vary a few days due to stress or illness. Some medications can even alter it. If you recently stopped taking birth control your periods will change quite a bit to. When I stopped taking the pill recently... mine went from being 28 day cycle to being 42 days! I freaked out for like 3 months in a row! :)

On another note, OTC pregnancy test are not always accurate. Most of them are pretty reliable... but not always. I am on the board of directors for a pregnancy care clinic in my town. They give FREE pregnancy testing and thier test are urine test but are similar to test given in the dr. office and are more reliable than OTC. Here is a phone number to find a Pregnancy Center/Clinic near you if you are interested: 1800-395-help.

Otherwise... just call your OBGYN and see what they would suggest. Mine sent me to the hospital for a blood test to confirm a positive test before they made an appointment.

Hope this helps... let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck! :)

It's possible you ovulated late this cycle, which would mean your cycle might be longer than normal this time. Especially since you just stopped birth control a few months ago. It can take your body a while to even out and go back to normal. Wait another week and take another test, or make an appointment with your doctor for a blood test.

well, it could be stress- worrying about getting pregnant, or once you are in your 30's your periods start to change- perimenopause, and what type of bc were you on? Coming off the pill can make your hormones funny for awhile- especially if you are carrying extra weight (sorry) the fat stores estrogen and can mess with your cycles- you might need to look into progesterone cream to level things out for awhile. So, advice- don't stress so much :)- I know, I have 9 kids- try looking at your diet- eat lots of dark, leafy greens, they are good for iron and folic acid- especially if trying to get pregnant, lean meats, eggs, good fats, lots of water, etc. And let us know what happens :) S.- mom of 9

Hi S.!
My periods have rarely been regular. I have had periods every other month since my daughter was born & died 4 1/2 years ago. I did have a 2nd boy almost 2 years after our daughter was born.
I am over weight for my height, so that may be why. Stress also doesn't help. If you don't want to worry about getting pregnant while you are loosing weight you need to use some kind of protection, but don't use Depo-provera! It made me gain a lot of weight!

God Bless!

Hi Shelly,
If you have never been that late before then if you have recently put on more weight or lost weight quickly that can have effects on your cycle. Also if you are or have recently been under a lot of stress that can also cause a late start. I would say give it another week and if you don't have anything then best go see the dr. I have known people that have been pregnant and had not been able to get a positive home test..they had to get their blood tested. Good luck sweetie. I hope all works out well for you!

My last period was 15 days late. By the time you are a couples days late on your period that is not too early for correct results on a pregnancy test. I am a pregnancy test expert because my periods are so crazy. You can wait a couple more days and take another one but Im going to warn you, you are going to waste your money. Being on birth control you are probably used to regular periods. Me never being on birth control is used to my crazy unpredictable periods. Like I said my last period was almost 15 days late, sometimes its five, sometimes its early! You will probably start very soon. Also my friend had problems and wasnt ovulating and she didnt have a period for 6 months! If it gets that crazy you will have to get it checked out! Good Luck!

S.,
Stress can cause a delay, a new exercise routine, change in diet can cause a delay. I have skipped periods before due to stress, I have never had a very reliable cycle though. If you don't start your cycle in another week or two...I would make an appointment with your OBGYN just for peace of mind.

I know how frustrating a late period can be! I went thru something similar a few months back, and it turned out that I had a cyst on my ovary that made me feel like I was preggers, but unless it was immaculate conception, it couldn't be! LOL I was almost 20 days late (I am usually very regular) and when the cyst finally ruptured (ouch) I had a very very heavy, rough period. After that everything has been back to normal, except that my cycle has been a little shorter.
The blood tests (and urine tests) that you do can come back negative for quite a while as a false negative if you conceived later than expected, but the blood tests are VERY sensitive to the hormone HCG which confirms a pregnancy (even if it is not a viable one...such as an early miscarriage, ectopic, molar, etc.) Even an early miscarriage would show up as a very low + HCG on the blood test.
It is also true that stress, and even "thinking" you might be pregnant can delay a period, but it will eventually come on if you aren't preggers. Also, additional weight gain can affect a period, as can air travel and time zone changes, anesthesia, and certain medications for unrelated things. Go ahead and see your doc for a blood test, and possibly an ultrasound to rule out any cysts (they can happen to anyone, and are often asymptomatic and they usually resolve on their own and things go back to normal.) If it turns out everything is fine and you want to try to bring on your cycle, you can try looking up parsley tea...it tastes gross after about 4 cups, but I tried it, and it worked in 3 days. DO NOT USE IT before you confirm you are not pregnant with a blood test.
Hope this helps a bit!

1 / 3